XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fixing a transmission coolant line under the steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 10:17 PM
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Fixing a transmission coolant line under the steering rack

Fixing a transmission coolant line under the steering rack tomorrow challenge like it says there’s a leak in one of the coolant lines under the motor approximately where it goes over the steering rack there’s so many tight spots. I don’t see how I would like to replace these lines other than put the rubber Flexible life and its place and I am thinking where to plug into these two things you just can’t get any good places they give you any room to cut the coolant line I am thinking about just going right to the side of the transmission and changing it to a nipple cut it back after it makes the bend and then just push 3/8 rubber fuel line or something high-pressure over it and then go right up to the front of the radiator and do the same thing leaving the door you can push it straight on and put a hose clamp on it. Like I see this is a 1990 car and it’s just too much effort to do it any other way? Unless someone else has a better idea i’d like to hear them thanks
1998 car xj8

Old 09-14-2022, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,368 Likes on 1,076 Posts

It will go in, but for that to happen you need to have the car on a ramp to push, pull and turn the pipe above your head.
Otherwise, cutting and shutting with a reinforced hydraulic hose will do the job, just not as neat!

Old 09-14-2022, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 365 Posts

It sounds as though it would be easier with metal tubing, however I have never tried that.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:51 AM

The car the car is up on a lift so I can get to it underneath to put the rubber line in but to replace it with the correct metal one aluminum line you’d have to pull the motor out and I’m trying not to do that this gives me an idea though I think I’ll go down and talk to the house please

Old 09-14-2022, 08:52 AM

Talk to the hose place

and see if they have anything better but I will probably just use hose clamps

Old 09-14-2022, 10:45 AM
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

NAPA sells transmission hose. We put a piece on my son's 1999 Jag, Has been there for about 5 years....used two clamps on each side. A lot easier than trying to change the whole line.....

Old 09-14-2022, 12:39 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

I think you're on the right track to try to splice in a hose. Just make sure it's rated for transmission fluid, and hopefully it won't leak. Something I would look at doing if this were me, would be to cut threads on the remaining steel ends. Then you could put fittings/hose barbs in place to better prevent leaks. Just a thought - might not be possible. Hose clamps might be sufficient if you use more than one, as David did.

FWIW, I replaced both transmission cooling lines on my XJR and I didn't have to remove the engine, but it was a HUGE pain! I had to drop the steering rack and unmount the AC compressor (not the lines) in order to move the compressor enough to get the new lines in. Of course, you can cut, bend, and jigger the old lines to get them out, but getting the new ones in, especially the one at the top of the tranny, was something I don't ever want to do again! I realize your transmission is different than my XJR, so maybe you would have to remove the engine! In any case, I think you're good to try the hose route.

The following users liked this post:
Vonnslingo (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 03:29 PM

Blood has been spilled not mine. Had to remove the coolant hose to get to the transmission coolant hose made a mess I bought a hose turns out that pipe is a half inch in diameter. The only thing I could find to put around it to soften it up from laying on other pieces of steel in their lives to take an old motorcycle and zip tie it around it might make it last a little longer than trying to find places to stay away from the

Hot exhaust

Old 09-14-2022, 08:55 PM

Was a motorcycle innertube cut in half to soften around the hose or hit a sharp corner. But today was just a day of nothing but problems. Got the car all back together refilled it with tranny fluid one of the hoses came off crap. I had no idea I was losing fluid Until it quit in my driveway and I was leaking fluid there. So I was able to pull it back up on the lift’’’’ my hose clamps failed on one end I am going to take these fittings off and flare the ends there’s enough room with that half inch hose that way it won’t be able to slip completely off and then I might file a few scratch marks in the side of that aluminum so that is something more to bite too. It was like one step forward two steps back all day long !

Old 09-15-2022, 02:12 PM

Aqua fire was correct I had one hose slip right off and I cut side notches in it then put a flare on the back of the nipple hoping for the best