XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Flushing heater matrix

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing heater matrix

Just recently got back to an XJ after years of boring company cars.

The only real issue I have is that I have no heating. Engine temp is spot on.

I've bypassed the heater control valve with no effect and next I want to flush the heater matrix. Does anybody have actual pictures of where the two pipes are connected to the engine or bulkhead?

Thanks

Trevor

Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

What year is the vehicle? Could be aux coolant pump for heater. We also see many clogged heater cores on later model x350. Stop leak clogs heater cores.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 927 Posts

There is a thread somewhere on the forum with pictures, from a member who flushed it.
I remember it kind of cleaned with a big bang, after which he got heat back.
Worth a search.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM

It's a '98 XJ, well aware, sadly, that it might be the heater pump too, but hoping it's not Just not sure what hoses go directly to the heater matrix.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi TrevorA - I had to flush my heater core two winters in a row now on my 2001. I had initially replaced my auxiliary pump but turned out that was not the issue. But I would certainly try to rule that out first. Not the most access friendly exercise but not impossible. Before going into more details - I am assuming you have located the auxiliary pump and perhaps have concluded that it had some "life" in it ( i.e. you feel some vibration when on). Because you will have to eventually remove a hose that goes to the pump, you will be able to actually check the pump for good as I would recommend removing it and testing it "offline". I don't have pics but can take you through the steps. I can even take you through my $5 garden hose extension for the purpose of heater core unclogging ;-) there are two hoses coming out of the engine side of the firewall (driver side on left hand driver car). Flush and back flush is the secret, with controlled pressure to not experience an under dash flooding. Let me know where you stand and happy to walk you through.

Cheers

Old 03-04-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_XJ8
Hi TrevorA - I had to flush my heater core two winters in a row now on my 2001. I had initially replaced my auxiliary pump but turned out that was not the issue. But I would certainly try to rule that out first. Not the most access friendly exercise but not impossible. Before going into more details - I am assuming you have located the auxiliary pump and perhaps have concluded that it had some "life" in it ( i.e. you feel some vibration when on). Because you will have to eventually remove a hose that goes to the pump, you will be able to actually check the pump for good as I would recommend removing it and testing it "offline". I don't have pics but can take you through the steps. I can even take you through my $5 garden hose extension for the purpose of heater core unclogging ;-) there are two hoses coming out of the engine side of the firewall (driver side on left hand driver car). Flush and back flush is the secret, with controlled pressure to not experience an under dash flooding. Let me know where you stand and happy to walk you through.

Cheers
Thanks for this.

Not had a lot of time on it yet, all I've managed to locate is the bypass valve, under the expansion tank on a right hand drive car. Not located the pump yet but was going to try the matrix flush next as the next easiest thing to do. I'm just struggling to find any pictures and there is a maze of pipes and cables around that area

Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Here is JPEG file showing the XJ X308 Heater hose with valve - photos (Heating Flow Diagram showing most of the heating hoses, aux water pump and heater control valve connections) click on the image when the webpage opens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vn3eh8h6o...-%20photos.jpg

look at this other thread (post# 1):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-repair-93451/

Forum member Safi has photos and other info on the matrix there.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 03-04-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Here is JPEG file showing the XJ X308 Heater hose with valve - photos (Heating Flow Diagram showing most of the heating hoses, aux water pump and heater control valve connections) click on the image when the webpage opens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vn3eh8h6o...-%20photos.jpg

look at this other thread (post# 1):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-repair-93451/

Forum member Safi has photos and other info on the matrix there.

Jim Lombardi
Great, this helps a lot!

Although now a secondary job as I have devloped a movement noise, hoping low brake pads as it is a sort fo scraping, but based on previous experience could be a collapsing wheel bearing.