XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

fob frenzy

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Question fob frenzy

since i owned my xj8 long I have noticed a rather inconsistent working of the remote. So I figured lets see if a new battery (actually two new battery s ) would fix the problem.

What seems to happen is that when i press the unlock button....I USUALLY NEED TO PRESS IT ANYWHERE from 8-12 TIMES BEFORE THE DOOR LOCKS RELEASE....sometimes more. Sometimes the front locks will release first and I have to press again a few times to get the rear doors to unlock. By the way on the unlock....unless you get all the doors to unlock the courtesy lights stay on. I try to avoid using the global opening/closeing . For whatever reason I get myself into trouble with it....and I wind up getting windows that won't open and or a sunroof that closes and won't open. Fortunately this problem was resolved by doing a re-set.

Locking is also inconsistent but seems to lock with fewer presses of the lock/red button. I decided to have the batterys tested and they were barely in the green or ok region so I figured lets just change the batterys which I did.

Results?......pretty much the same. I followed the owners manual which suggests for best results operate fob in rear of car. The sweet spot seems to be around the gas filler cover.

Before I do any major surgery on the fob I would appreciate any suggestions as to next steps.....(or certainly what not to do)When I opened it up it looked pretty clean and the prongs seem to be making proper contact. This is the only remote I have so I need to be prudent. In doing the clean-up i was thinking of using some "electronic cleaner"(sparingly).

If worse came to worse I suppose I can live with it the way it is. My major concern is that it will get worse if I do nothing

Old 10-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjunky
since i owned my xj8 long I have noticed a rather inconsistent working of the remote. So I figured lets see if a new battery (actually two new battery s ) would fix the problem.

What seems to happen is that when i press the unlock button....I USUALLY NEED TO PRESS IT ANYWHERE from 8-12 TIMES BEFORE THE DOOR LOCKS RELEASE....sometimes more. Sometimes the front locks will release first and I have to press again a few times to get the rear doors to unlock. By the way on the unlock....unless you get all the doors to unlock the courtesy lights stay on. I try to avoid using the global opening/closeing . For whatever reason I get myself into trouble with it....and I wind up getting windows that won't open and or a sunroof that closes and won't open. Fortunately this problem was resolved by doing a re-set.

Locking is also inconsistent but seems to lock with fewer presses of the lock/red button. I decided to have the batterys tested and they were barely in the green or ok region so I figured lets just change the batterys which I did.

Results?......pretty much the same. I followed the owners manual which suggests for best results operate fob in rear of car. The sweet spot seems to be around the gas filler cover.

Before I do any major surgery on the fob I would appreciate any suggestions as to next steps.....(or certainly what not to do)When I opened it up it looked pretty clean and the prongs seem to be making proper contact. This is the only remote I have so I need to be prudent. In doing the clean-up i was thinking of using some "electronic cleaner"(sparingly).

If worse came to worse I suppose I can live with it the way it is. My major concern is that it will get worse if I do nothing

Its a 13 year old radio transmitter, ID trash it.I have a 1998 same issue, now I just use the key, not paying several hundred for a new one, here is a good used one, good luck, cleaner will not replace a burned up transmiter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-XKR-X...719faa&vxp=mtr

Last edited by aode06; 10-13-2013 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagjunky (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 PM

thanks...nice to know you can pick up a used one and that they are available....i am ok for now.....i can use the key..but i only have one and with the very cold weather ...well you know...

Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Clean the gold button contact areas on the circuit board of all black residue with rubbing alcohol. It restores operation in many cases.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
jagjunky (10-13-2013), Porsche407 (10-14-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

thanks...nice to know you can pick up a used one and that they are available....i am ok for now.....i can use the key..but i only have one and with the very cold weather ...well you know...

If you DO need a new one, I bought two of these:

Like New Jaguar Keyless Entry Remote Transmitter XR83 15K601 AA CWTWB1U322 | eBay

$45.00 each and one would swear they are brand new.

The ones I received had absolutely ZERO wear.

A GREAT eBay seller as well.

HTH.

Stewart

jagjunky (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:04 PM

thanks aod and stuart.....i will try the clean up and look into.....e-bay fob......either way....doesn't the new need to be programmed if so......best approach?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 AM

thanks aod and stuart.....i will try the clean up and look into.....e-bay fob......either way....doesn't the new need to be programmed if so......best approach?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...key-fob-48198/

Make sure your codes match up on the fob and its a USA remote, not European, different frequencies.

You do it yourself. Jag has spent years on how to screw us over, and will tell you it can only be done with a special scanner.

jagjunky (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM

thanks aod.....the thing is i don't know what the code is.....or how can i decode....to get at it?...i assume even if i can buy one from e-bay as suggested by stuart.....it needs to be programed, right/ or am i missing something?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 AM

on back of your FOB, its there, also read that post, you 'll understand.

Very easy/simple

jagjunky (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Default fob frenzy update

thanks again to white xkr and aod......

i opened up the fob and cleaned the gold part and board....instead of rubbing alcohol i used a few drops of electronic cleaner...used a cue tip...and removed a bit of black film...results?

now opens and closes in one or two clicks....this is way way better than previous 10-15 (sometimes more) to open or close the car with the remote.

i still am in the market for a back up fob....so i can have two....looks like i need the one with the rectangular rounded corners with the red lock. Once i get it looks fairly easy to program myself .

i really am more or equally interested in getting a back-up key. This looks a bit more complicated...looked at some prior posts on this and it appears i can get the key cut for a reasonable price. the hard part i think is finding someone in my locale who can actually program the key to the car.

i am in new jersey....anyone know anyone who can do....thanks robert

Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

my 98 xj8 using fob part number LJA2610AA 315 MHZ. Check the back of yours and then just enter LJA2610AA or your part number in your ebay search. $10-$60 should get you set. Everyone should have a spare key and spare FOB. The problem gets $$$ if you loose a key.