XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fob sets alarm, but doesn't lock/unlock the doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Fob sets alarm, but doesn't lock/unlock the doors

Today, I've finally cleared all of the codes on my '98 XJ8 (junkyard resoldered ABS module and Camshaft sensor off ebay), but when I try to lock the doors, they appear to struggle to lock, while the alarm sets fine. After manual lock, they don't want to lock, either.

I couldn't see any lock related codes in the scan of the modules.

Anyone have ideas where to look first?

The following users liked this post:
jrb53 (04-14-2024)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Open your FOB & be sure the lock/unlock contacts are clean. Oh wait are you saying they fire fine from remote command just hesitate to complete ?!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

The remote seems to do everything, but lock/unlock the doors. The driver inner door handle doesn't lock or unlock the doors like on my XK8, so that might point to the problem.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,812 Likes on 1,327 Posts

When you say they struggle to lock, can you see the manual knob moving? Off hand I would think your locking modules may simply need cleaned of built up gunk.

What is the condition of the battery, ....how old and what's the voltage you get?
I would also try a hard reset...remove the battery terminals and then touch them together for about 20 seconds to bleed off any excess power. Then wait about 2 minutes....reapply the terminals and see what happens.

The next thing may be to remove the driver door card and disconnect the control module in the door, leave it off for about 2 minutes and reapply and test.

Ungn (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hard reset doesn't seem to have done anything, but the inner handle doesn't have a switch feel like my XK8. Next step is to pull the door card.

Old 04-13-2024, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty remote locking

XF 2009. Had previous issues with three other locks, over a period of time, drivers door, front passenger and rear off side, all replaced over time. When they went faulty car would not lock so needed immediate replacement. Problem now is rear near side door does not unlock from fob. Following being opened from inside, I thought it was relocking from fob but apparently not. This is unlike all other locking issues as alarm would not set until faulty door was locked manually. Any help would be appreciated not BUT the car alarm will set leaving the door unlocked. Can lock & unlock manually from inside.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tractordriver
XF 2009. Had previous issues with three other locks, over a period of time, drivers door, front passenger and rear off side, all replaced over time. When they went faulty car would not lock so needed immediate replacement. Problem now is rear near side door does not unlock from fob. Following being opened from inside, I thought it was relocking from fob but apparently not. This is unlike all other locking issues as alarm would not set until faulty door was locked manually. Any help would be appreciated not BUT the car alarm will set leaving the door unlocked. Can lock & unlock manually from inside.
Wrong forum, totally different wiring, here is where you want to be... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-x260-99/

Also, it is a site requirement to introduce yourself here... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/
I suggest also putting your make and model in your signature so others can identify it more easily instead of having to read the thread...cheers and enjoy the site.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply to highhorse

Having joined 2/7/2019 I may have wrongly assumed I had introduced myself already, maybe my mistake, however included in my profile are details of myself and my vehicle. As this is a Jaguar forum I took it that my vehicle would be understood to be as such. The first two words of my post, "XF 2009 would give an indication as to my vehicle type. Wrong thread? Well an unfortunate error on my part, so, thanks for nothing, I will now revert to visiting my Jaguar repair garage where they not only offer a great service but do so with courtesy of which I have become accustomed.

Last edited by Tractordriver; 04-20-2024 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 358 Posts

Having joined 2/7/2019 I may have wrongly assumed I had introduced myself already, maybe my mistake, however included in my profile are details of myself and my vehicle. As this is a Jaguar forum I took it that my vehicle would be understood to be as such. The first two words of my post, "XF 2009 would give an indication as to my vehicle type. Wrong thread? Well an unfortunate error on my part, so, thanks for nothing, I will now revert to visiting my Jaguar repair garage where they not only offer a great service but do so with courtesy of which I have become accustomed.
Congeniality is such an integral part of most threads I almost did not recognize
this response for what it is.

The following 2 users liked this post by RandyS:
Highhorse (04-20-2024), Hooli (04-22-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

So be it, but understand, this is the X308 section, as I stated it's totally different wiring, plus motor, drive-line and suspension and I did state as to why to put your vehicle info in your signature...sorry you're a bit butt hurt. But there are rules for a reason and a reason why there are specific forums for each model, so folks who know that model can appropriately answer your questions. I hope you're understanding to this.

Hooli (04-22-2024)