XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fouled Kitty on the ropes

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Fouled Kitty on the ropes

I have a '99 XJR. Recently had a no start issue when it got really cold here. No problem, I had been planning to do some PM on the car anyway. So, the first thing I did was the upper timing chain tensioners. BTY, don't waste your money on those kits with the master link in them. You can't remove the chain without moving the exhaust cam anyway, so why bother with it? I had a p1336 code for the cam sensor, so I foolishly replaced it while doing the rest of the work. Obviously not the problem, because I still continue to get the code. I've read everything on the cylinder wash issue and have tried the so called official method to no avail. I was having a problem with oil leaking into the spark plug holes and then I believe overnight into the chambers. Every now and then I would get a big puff of smoke upon first start in the morning. So, I was happy to have new cam cover gaskets on the car as a result of changing the tensioners. So, knowing that I might have oil and wet fouled plugs, I decided to remove them and clean them. I did this with one of those plug cleaners with the blasting media in it. Cheaper than replacing plugs multiple times until you find your fouling problem. And from my experience, any other means of cleaning (read chemical) just doesn't work on wet fouled plugs. So, after installing nice clean pugs (they were definitely oil and gas fouled) I proceeded with the cylinder wash procedure again. Kept in floored, it actually started to run, eased the accelerator back some, it continued to run, took my foot off the gas and she quit. No matter what, it would not do a repeat performance. So, figuring it again flooded, I removed the plugs and sure enough, they were soaked, I mean sopping wet. I did the cleaning again but have yet to try starting it again, because I know I'll just soak the plugs again. Anyone have any ideas as to why it could be flooding this way? The codes I get are p1000 and p1336. I started getting the p1000 after replacing the air filter with a K&N. That was more than 6 months back. I figured that that was no big deal. But maybe it is. Factory fuel air ratio is what it tells me. This cat is eating up way too much of my time, I've a lot of other work on it as well and it will soon be kicked to the curb. It only has 91k mi on it. Also, it now sits in a heated garage after displacing my real toy to the weather. So it's not in any real cold weather now. Could the ect need to be bled after refilling the coolant, or perhaps just be bad? If bad why would it not throw a code? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to all.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not with the XJR, but I have had issues with "cleaned" spark plugs after fouling them - no start, etc. Replaced with new plugs, no further issues after that. Worth a try!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

By the way, P1000 is a normal code, can't be gotten rid of - means system check completed.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Foul Kitty LIVES

Just and update, after letting the issue rest a day, I thought that maybe I still might have cylinder wash and decided to take a more aggressive approach. I again removed the plugs and went for the non approved method. All I happened to have on hand was some trans fluid. Perhaps not the right oil to use but I figure it's oil, it's lighter and should burn off more easily and would still accomplish the purpose of lubricating the cylinders. So, in it went. I then, having the coil packs off, spun the engine with the starter to distribute the oil and put everything back together. I then tried to start it with foot on the floor and cranking it. It almost immediately wanted to start. Repeated the procedure and she caught and ran. Kept the rev's up until I was confident it would stay running and it did. After letting it idle for a while and letting the excessive smoking die down I took it out for a thrashing. Just wanted to make sure everything was clear. Of course when all was done it gave me numerous codes for misfire, fuel ratio, O2 voltage and so on. After clearing the codes I took it out for a second thrashing and everything is now in order in the Jaguar universe. I had also taken the slack out of the throttle cable during all of this and with everything done, WOW, what a difference!