XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Front ball joints/ bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Front ball joints/ bushings

Had the rear pads replaced on the 02 XJR yesterday and we investigated a minor thump I have been occasionally hearing -- looks like the right upper ball joint is the culprit ... and both lower ball joints have cracked boots. With 75k on it IMO it's not worth taking it all apart and not doing the bushing and the lower ball joint.

I'm finding both the ball joints -- upper from the dealer and lower online (lemforder (OE). Jaguar only sells the complete lower arm -- it looks like the lower ball joint is tricky to press in.

I'm a bit confused about the bushings -- the online dealers list the bushing but then the description comes up being for the rear?

I'm not going to use non OE aftermarket bushings -- especially URO.

Anybody do this recently with some information?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We offer Lemforder and URO ball joints:

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cat...html?3594=2060

We only carry the URO control arm bushings for your vehicle because they're less expensive and we honestly haven't had any complaints or issues with them. We can get you a more expensive brand like Meyle, but you're just paying more for the box.

We don't refer to the bushings as "rear".

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cat...html?3594=2512

Old 09-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

I changed the upper balljoints using my hydraulic press, following the instructions in the JTIS concerning making two hacksaw cuts in the joint.

I found it easier than doing the bushings. That was a tricky job. In the end I ground the "top hat" in the outer sleeve off, with an angle grinder.

You can always get a machine shop to do the pressing for you.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

My mechanic looked up the time for the upper ball joint and it's only a bit over two hours for both. I must be mistaken that the whole assembly needs to be broken down to get to it?

If that's the case I will only replace the upper ball joints -- the cracks in the lowers signal eventual failure -- but the amount the car is driven ... that could be a long time coming.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

I can only go off the procedure in the JTIS, which is quite involved. From memory, you need to install the spring compressor tool, remove the upper arm, then make two hacksaw cuts in the upper balljoint, press it out, press new one in. Then deal with the inner bushings. It took me an afternoon per side. Both sides in 2 hours is laughable.

The book told my mechanic that rear shocks were one hour per side. That's ludicrous, too.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
My mechanic looked up the time for the upper ball joint and it's only a bit over two hours for both. I must be mistaken that the whole assembly needs to be broken down to get to it?

If that's the case I will only replace the upper ball joints -- the cracks in the lowers signal eventual failure -- but the amount the car is driven ... that could be a long time coming.

I replaced the upper ball joints with the upper control arms in place by using a super heavy duty C clamp (made for ball joints) and an impact gun. You do need cut off parts of the ball joint top lip to uncover enough surface area to provide a seat for the C clamp.

If you have all the tools and the right cups (to fit over the top and around the bottom) of the ball joint then 3 hours is doable.

Do not remove the shock from the lower control arm - it limits the lower control arm movement to prevent the spring from jumping out

Old 09-25-2015, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Further checking on the 2+ hours of labor: Time was to switch out the compete upper arms. Not to RR the joints and bushings on the arms.

I found a Jaguar service action from the early 00's that discusses the failure of the lower bushings on early cars. The original lower bushing on the early cars was replaced during production -- using one also found in the rear suspension. That is why the bushing comes up as for the rear -- it is correct for the front as well. The two bushings on both sides are listed as a 2.2 hour operation. I guess with the proper tools and training this is not a difficult job.

The only part to refresh the front end not available from Jaguar is the lower ball joint - but readily available elsewhere. Including link provided by CPD above

Last edited by yeldogt; 09-25-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:42 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I had my whole suspension redone...all bushings, ball joints, etc. The front is a bear to deal with. After it was all said and done, it took 9 hours. That included rear springs and struts too though.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

The bushings and joints look like they could take some time if one has never done it before. Obviously, buying the complete assemblies is a lot easier -- also about $1600.00 just for the six arms.

The rear is a pain as almost the whole this has to be unbolted