XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Front lower shock bushing alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Front lower shock bushing alternatives

I was going over my front suspension, looking over all the consumables due to a knocking and low speed instability that I've noticed recently. Fortunately all the major things, ball joints and control arm bushings, vee mounts all seem to be in acceptable condition. I did notice that my lower shock mounts are completely gone though.

Looking online, I found the bushings, MND2153AA, for reasonable prices online. I also saw some cheaper "universal bushing" kits which looked like a very similar hourglass shape. The major reason I'd want these kits would be that I'd be able to get them shipped to my home sooner than the OE bushings.

Does anyone happen to have experience with these kits, or the required bushing measurements nearby? If they're known to be unreliable or difficult to install I'll just go ahead and order OE ones, but a universal kit that fits would be nice.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Terry's has them for $19.71 ea, Welsh has them for $21.95 and my local Orlando one has them for $21.90. How much less are the universal ones? I say go OEM, those universal ones are probably cheap Chinese repro's and will wear out in a couple years.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

Go OEM where you can. As highhorse stated, aftermarket components can be cheap crap. Also, when it comes to rubber components, they can be harder than desired. For example, urethane mounts... I've never had any good results from those. Always ends up being a much harsher ride.
A/M engine mounts... Albeit still made with rubber, but the rubber can be rock like and end with more vibration. In my opinion unless it's a significant cost expense, I'll use OEM when I can.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

Went ahead and ordered from Terry's, had good experiences with them before. Also a reasonable shipping rate on small parts, where I find dealers may charge a lot for shipping small parts..

Aftermarket kits were about $11 a pair, something similar to this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...aMgaArNx8P8HAQ

Old 01-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

I'm a fan of Rancho, great 4x4 apps, but I feel you were better off going OEM and known fitment.