XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Front shocks for the '03 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Front shocks for the '03 XJR

Hi guys,

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a nice, low mileage, black on black, 2003 XJR. Everything is clean and shiny on it except for a few minor interior items and the front shocks.

The front shocks are original and need replacing. The front wheels bounce like basketballs as it rides now.

So, the private party seller said that he'd either have his mechanic replace the front shocks ($1250, he says $500 for each shock and $250 for labor) or he'd drop his asking price by $1250 if I want to take care of the front shocks myself.

I've sifted through the forums and the web to find the best deals on compatible front shocks for the XJR.

Bilstein is the way to go, right? These look to be the lowest priced ones I can find so far. Are those appropriate? Will they be as sturdy, reliable, and nice as the OEM shocks? I also saw these somewhere else on the forum. What about them?

Also, I have access to my friend's garage. He has replaced everything from engines to shock absorbers and struts on his '05 Mustang GT. If that's the case, do you think we'll be able to replace the Jag's front shocks ourselves using the tools in his garage?

Thanks all. I'm pretty excited to be a Jag owner.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails Front shocks for the '03 XJR-3nf3gf3le5l15kf5m8ccec313ab19c70317d7.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

You need these shocks, your car might be adaptive control type, if there are some wires on top of them.
No particular tools, no spring press needed, just a balljoint press for the top wishbone.
Bilstein W0133-1930143 Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly | Auto Parts Warehouse

The following users liked this post:
odds (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Do it....

odds (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Do it.

odds (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Take the money and run. You can do this yourself + the guys at the OC Jag club can give you a hand with that. If the 03 is for the money you mentioned you are getting a very good deal on a great ride.

At the end of the day, if all fails we can put airbags in

Just kidding

odds (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Here are some weblinks to Shock Absorber information located on the forum.

Weblink:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x308-xj8-xjr-27/replacement-shocks-your-opinions-70729/
Look at post# 13 it has a JPEG file showing both the CATS (Computer Active Technology Suspension) Adaptive Shocks and the Standard Non Adaptive Shocks.

Post# 15 has part numbers and prices for CATS Adaptive Shocks and Post# 6 has the prices and info on the Standard Non Adaptive Shocks.

There is other 2 great DIY Shock Absorber Replacement Writeup articles that Post# 6 has the weblinks to them.

Next weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ck-plug-74196/

Look at Post# 1 – it has a great photo of a standard front shock absorber that has been installed where a CATS Adaptive one was originally (notice the electrical connector lying near the shock absorber).

Next weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sorbers-77872/

post# 6 gives links to front and rear shocks DIYs and one of them is how to do it without any special tools. Also has the standard Labor shop hours.

Next weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-37895/

See Post# 3 – Member just disconnected the CATS shocks and replaced with the standard shocks . Says he had no issues or warning messages after the change.

Next weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uy-them-57717/

Post# 1 has a link to a PDF on Cats suspension.

Last weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-shocks-56710/

Post# 9 has part numbers and prices from a number of online sellers.

Hope this helps and is not too much to absorb.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-13-2013 at 07:04 PM.
odds (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Do it. If you don't I will!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

Information on Bilstein USA website (has photo of shock and has Jaguar part# reference - MND2140GD)
If your popup blocker is enable, then use your browser option to open this weblink in a new window or hold down your CTL key while clicking on the weblink
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...4018004&12=140

If the webpage comes up with language as German, you can use the following weblink to the Google webpage for Google IE9 addon - Translate (the addon will put a translate button on your IE9 webpages):
http://www.iegallery.com/Addons/Details/738 when you open the webpage - click on the orange button (ADD to internet explorer) - note you can use the translate feature to change other language options other than English.

Gaudin Jaguar Parts online (Las Vegas)
MND2140GD Front Shock Absorber all models with adaptive control damping – with sports suspension $346.13
Jaguar Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

parts geek online
1998-2003 Jaguar XJR Shock Absorber - Front - Bilstein W0133-1930143 $306.25 free shipping
Discount Auto Parts and Accessories - PartsGeek

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-15-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: added paragraph on Google addon - translate
odds (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Did you look at this 2003 Jaguar Super V8 - it is a Vanden Plas XJR model with NAV - for sale in Orange California $10,900 - 94000 miles.

Mike's Place - Used Cars - Orange County | 2003 Jaguar XJ8 Super V8

Jim Lombardi

odds (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by smtguy
Do it. If you don't I will!
Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Here are some weblinks to Shock Absorber information located on the forum.

Weblink:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x308-xj8-xjr-27/replacement-shocks-your-opinions-70729/
Look at post# 13 it has a JPEG file showing both the CATS (Computer Active Technology Suspension) Adaptive Shocks and the Standard Non Adaptive Shocks.

Post# 15 has part numbers and prices for CATS Adaptive Shocks and Post# 6 has the prices and info on the Standard Non Adaptive Shocks.

There is other 2 great DIY Shock Absorber Replacement Writeup articles that Post# 6 has the weblinks to them.

Next weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ck-plug-74196/

Look at Post# 1 – it has a great photo of a standard front shock absorber that has been installed where a CATS Adaptive one was originally (notice the electrical connector lying near the shock absorber).

Next weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sorbers-77872/

post# 6 gives links to front and rear shocks DIYs and one of them is how to do it without any special tools. Also has the standard Labor shop hours.

Next weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-37895/

See Post# 3 – Member just disconnected the CATS shocks and replaced with the standard shocks . Says he had no issues or warning messages after the change.

Next weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uy-them-57717/

Post# 1 has a link to a PDF on Cats suspension.

Last weblink
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-shocks-56710/

Post# 9 has part numbers and prices from a number of online sellers.

Hope this helps and is not too much to absorb.

Jim Lombardi
Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Take the money and run. You can do this yourself + the guys at the OC Jag club can give you a hand with that. If the 03 is for the money you mentioned you are getting a very good deal on a great ride.

At the end of the day, if all fails we can put airbags in

Just kidding
Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Do it.
Originally Posted by Sean B
Do it....
Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Did you look at this 2003 Jaguar Super V8 - it is a Vanden Plas XJR model with NAV - for sale in Orange California $10,900 - 94000 miles.

Mike's Place - Used Cars - Orange County | 2003 Jaguar XJ8 Super V8

Jim Lombardi
Hi Jim, I hadn't seen that one yet! Thanks for the link.

Quick question for anyone reading this thread: is the XJR a decent commuter car? If I get it, I'll likely be putting 25,000 miles on it per year! Maybe it'd be best to pick up a cheap Civic for now, save for a year, and THEN pick up a Jag.

Thoughts?

Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

If you are going to COMMUTE in it you have to SIT in it for LONG periods of time.

Sit in a Civic, then sit in a Jag and let me know if you notice any difference in quality/feel.

I have taken mine to Norcal, as well as regular trips to LA/SD etc. If you maintain it, it will be a great car- if you neglect it... different story.

odds (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a screenshot from the Bilstein webpage with a photo of the front shock absorber for the 2003 XJR with CATS sports suspension - Part# MND2140GD:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpaxmwn80q...ein%20site.JPG

When the drobbox webpage opens, click on the image to get a better view.

Note the information on the webpage - shows MND2140GD and MND2141GD, then there is also model# 20-0705052 and its description B4 ACD and the ref# BA3-7050.

I did an internet search using 20-0705052 and found some very high prices - one was over $800.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-20-2013 at 07:54 AM.
odds (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
If you are going to COMMUTE in it you have to SIT in it for LONG periods of time.

Sit in a Civic, then sit in a Jag and let me know if you notice any difference in quality/feel.

I have taken mine to Norcal, as well as regular trips to LA/SD etc. If you maintain it, it will be a great car- if you neglect it... different story.
Yeah. I'm gonna do it. It's always nerve-racking making a big decision like this, but I know this is the Jag for me, though: 63k miles, super squeaky clean engine with no problems even when flattening the gas pedal, almost spotless interior and exterior, new tires, and an honest/trustworthy previous owner.

Look forward to pics and initial thoughts after driving my new kitty home in a few days... I'm stoked!

In reply to Jim, so those Bilstein shocks DO have CATS? How much for them?

Also, after sifting through this forum even a bit more re: front shocks, I found a thread in which user Sean B stated he could get the X308 CATS shocks for only 40 pounds each? Sean B, if you're reading this, is that still true today?

Thanks again everyone. Dave and everyone in the OC Jag club, I look forward to the next meet up!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Wow. I agree that you should go for it, especially since you are getting it at a very reasonable price.

UPDATE: I change my opinion about buying the shocks at Gaudin after looking at the shipping costs -almost $87 for the 2 shocks (see post# 15).

If I were you I would order part# MND2140GD from:
Gaudin Jaguar Parts (www.gaudinjaguarparts.com) has the CATS suspension parts.

MND2140GD Front Shock Absorber all models with adaptive control damping – with sports suspension Price Update 1/14/2013 $346.13

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-15-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added Update - that refers to post# 15
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe you can get the front shocks at a better total cost from Jaguar of Greenville.
They will give you a 15% discount and free shipping if you mention that you are a member of the Jaguar Forum.

Gaugin online price of $346.18 for the front shock absorber would add up to $778.89 for 2 that includes shipping charges of $86.53

Jaguar of Greenville list price is $426 less 15% = $362.10 x 2 = $724.20 total (no shipping charges and no sales tax).

Call Jaguar of Greenville (Parts: (877) 906-2117) for pricing - give them the Vin number of the 2003 XJR to make sure that part# MND2140GD is the correct for the front shocks for your XJR.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-20-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: firmed up pricing with Parts Dept - Jaguar of Greenville
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

Just do it-I bought my 2001 XJR after a 'love at first sight' relationship with the advert in the UK Autotrader website & then a 200 mile drive down South to test drive & collect it

4 years later & I'm still in love with it-absolutely no regrets whatsoever about getting the car & it's the best decision you'll make. The drive home will be memorable

You just know when a car has 'your' name on it & of course the 2003 model has no Nikasil or tensioner issues, so it's the least risky of the X308's-and the most fun

Looks mean & stunning in black-on-black as well, especially as the XJR has the power to back up the looks

Any faults you have with the car won't seem like faults at all-they'll just feel like an annoying distraction from perfection that you absolutely will have to sort out & to hell with the cost...

That's what they call 'love'

Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't know what the asking price is, but this looks like a nice car. Shocks are no big deal. Some basic tools, good music, plenty of brew, and one afternoon of pure fun. That's all it takes.

And about love,.....Red is right. When it comes to these cars, love makes it all logical. And it is a pure logic. This IS the last model run of the car that still looks like Jaguar, and has that distinct British feel and smell. Newer models look more Ford than Britain. That's one thing,.....the other,....they have a bad reputation from people that don't understand them, and people that like to pump gas (and do nothing else!), and beat them to crap. Having a bad reputation, makes them CHEAP.

So here you have a logical line of events. Excellent car (can not be compared with any other brands except maybe Bentley and RR!), cheap, that one can own for LESS than ANYTHING coming out of Far East (or the USA for that matter!). They need upkeep,....YES THEY DO! And if one has the support of this forum, basic knowledge of the automotive engineering (and is not scared to get dirty!), one can own and enjoy one of these beauties for PEANUTS. If, however, one is only willing to pump gas, pay retail for all parts, and have the dealers work on the car, one better have a healthy bank account, or else.

So this love is NOT for everyone.

I, for one, don't fret ANY problems with the car. I see it as a challenge, and a riddle to solve (with the generous help from the people on this forum!). Some people watch sports for relaxation, some do other things. If I am not on the shooting range, riding my horses or bikes, .....I am in the garage wrenching. It relaxes me.

So yes,....GO FOR IT! Change the shocks, and experience the old world craftsmanship driving this beauty among all the KIAs and such.

Last edited by danielsand; 01-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

I bought mine, an 03, with 90,000 miles for $8900 with
no mechanical issues. Keep that in mind when you
negotiate for it.

odds (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

To get the best from these feline ladies of the road, you have to take the time to get to know her & her foibles-keep her pampered & attend to her every need...

These are cars that you need to understand so you can plan the maintenance sensibly-if you just take it to the dealer every time there's a fault & get them to throw parts & money at it until the fault is cured, then you will have a big headache in the wallet department.

However, using common sense & the vast amount of invaluable advice on this forum from people who have seen it & done it all before, they're not so frightening to work on after all & no more expensive than any other big car. If you can handle tools, you can maintain a Jag

When my Bentley blew it's head gaskets I had little knowledge & no formal RR/Bentley training-but I had a lot of tools & the Bentley Assist DVD with the workshop manual on it. So I took a deep breath & started to dismantle the engine, working from the top steadily downwards until I'd removed everything & could see the cylinder heads.

3 weeks later the engine was all back together, cleaned & completely decoked-she fired up first go & has been fine since. The cost was £300 GBP for the required gasket set & 3 weeks of my own time doing the job. If I had just taken the car to a garage, I'd have been looking at the sharp end of a repair bill in excess of £5000 GBP due to the huge labour charge...

I had a whole string of BMW's before the Jags & the Bentley, and to be honest the BMW's weren't any more reliable than the British cars-the BM's could still throw you a nasty suprise if you weren't careful. The camshafts & rear suspension subframe bushes were always a favourite on the BM's, along with cracked heads, blown head gaskets, radiators that would fracture their plastic hose stubs, steering boxes & linkages that became sloppy etc.

The Jag's nuts & bolts are arranged in a different manner to other cars-but at the end of the day they are still nuts & bolts which can be worked on as with any other car. It just so happens that they're all wrapped up in the prettiest modern car body shape you could find, together with a comfortable & classy interior

Last edited by Red October; 01-19-2013 at 07:05 AM.
odds (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by odds
Sean B stated he could get the X308 CATS shocks for only 40 pounds each? Sean B, if you're reading this, is that still true today?
That price is for a second hand item, and to buy as a pair Fr/Rr, so around £80-100 for a pair (in the UK).

Few questions before you buy replacements, does it have CATS, and what colour are the dampers? Black or green?

Also why do you think the shocks are done? CATS shocks are a rare item to fail. If there's knocking then it'll be the shock bushes, the lower rears are famous for it, along with the fronts. Rear's are the more expensive. They can be changed for new fairly easily.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean B:
DJ-Roy (01-20-2013), odds (01-19-2013)

Quick Reply: Front shocks for the '03 XJR