XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Front subframe removal - have I forgotten anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Default Front subframe removal - have I forgotten anything?

Hi there!

I'm doing a front axle on a friends X308 4.0l Sovereign, as the rear bushes (the large round ones) are shot and we might as well do all the bushes...

Before I tackle it (Thursday), I wanted to see if anyone here has any advice and tips regarding the removal... These are the steps I thought whilst doing it:

1. use an engine bridge/hoist
2. undo egine mounts
3. remove front wheels
4. remove brake calipers and hang them on the body
5. unplug ABS sensors
6. either remove PAS hoses from steering rack and steering column or remove steering rack from subframe (if remove from subframe, support with wire or so from engine and undo tie rod ends)
7. place work bench etc. below subframe
8. undo shock absorber mounts or shock absorber itself
9. undo subframe bushes rear (will be replaced)
10. undo subframe mounts front (will be replaced)

Then it should be out - right? As it is no supercharger model, it shouldn't have any hidden brackets etc. - or have I missed something?

Cheers

Damien

Old 01-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,085 Likes on 835 Posts

I have the same round bushings worn out on mine as well. (240K miles) I'm afraid I'll be in the same boat removing my subframe just to replace those as well. I am so tempted just to take those weird shaped tow hook brackets off, remove those large bolts and pry (which probably won't work) the rear section of the subframe down enough to get some sort of on car ball joint press and a series of adapters to get them out and pressed back in the same way.

Now, back to your situation... I'd remove the steering rack just for the sake of less weight to contend with if I were you. I have replaced 2 sets of those round bushings but, it was because we were replacing the subframe on customers cars. They are also clocked in a certain position so I'd press one old one out and press in the new one at a time so you can make sure everything lines up properly when comparing it to the other side.
Good luck!

Old 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, that is what I thought. The position is rather "fix" and needs to be there.

We'll be renewing all the bushes on the axle as well as ball joints, wheel bearings and co... My thoughts are always "Once it is out, might as well do the lot". Same with my XJ-S...

Of course, at the end, an alignment is important...

Old 01-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

It is actually really easy to do this job. Even the upper wish bone screw shaft thing plopped right out... Just these bushes seem indestructable.