XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Front suspension shifting - ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

I actually replaced both front calipers since the right side one busted a seal... No change in pulling symptoms before/after.

I did a quick visual inspection of those rear subframe bushings when I dropped the rear subframe for diff bearings a while ago. The left one was starting to show a little cracking, think the right one appeared OK from the outside. I don't remember if I pried on them much to test them, I'll have to try that again and see if there's some internal wear. Maybe I'll just replace both and see what happens, if the cracking is any worse than it was before.

The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position 255/40r18. The road force balancing is also something the shop recommended. I may try and go back to the shop that I got the tires from; the tire shop said they hadn't had issues with flat spotting on those tires, but I think they're flat spotting pretty bad some days.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
I actually replaced both front calipers since the right side one busted a seal... No change in pulling symptoms before/after.

I did a quick visual inspection of those rear subframe bushings when I dropped the rear subframe for diff bearings a while ago. The left one was starting to show a little cracking, think the right one appeared OK from the outside. I don't remember if I pried on them much to test them, I'll have to try that again and see if there's some internal wear. Maybe I'll just replace both and see what happens, if the cracking is any worse than it was before.
You might check your rear left brake caliper to be sure the guide pins move freely and the caliper isn't binding and leaving the pads in contact with the rotor.

Regarding the rear subframe bushings, one quick check is to look at them from the side while the car is sitting on the ground. There should be noticeable clearance between the subframe and the body. If there is very little space between the two, or they are touching, the bushings are shot.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (04-27-2018), davidladewig (10-30-2020)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:05 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Changing my front tyres to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's helped tramlining en pulling issues on my car.
Directly after changing them, no other changes.

Might not be your problem , but is if you can borrow a set of wheels somewere to feel the difference i should try that