XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Front wheel hubs: Brembo Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Front wheel hubs: Brembo Calipers

Hi, I have searched and read multiple forum threads for the X308 Brembo upgrade. Picked up points for trimming the dust shields, new SS hoses, using different size bolts, but read nothing on revised front wheel hubs. I am in touch with a Jag parts provider in the UK and they are mentioning I will need the revised new front wheels hubs which they can supply refurbished with new bearings and painted up. Can someone familiar with the upgrade please weigh in on this? I plan on ordering the revised discs and pads from britishparts.co.uk just need to be clear on all the parts needed for the upgrade and if the revised new front wheels hubs are really needed. For the wheels it will be the Perseus or Milan, just trying to get the exact cost to finalize the deal.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,367 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I got shot at for suggesting it's a hub/disc/caliper combo, when others have stated it's just discs and calipers for a bolt on fit.
I vaguely remember something about a ground face to fit the disc, specifically for 100 and R1 package cars, the SS suspension was another addition, but it's not generally known, I'd guess something factory related, not service, and only on the last cars produced, so no real figures or common issues...

Have you looked into BBS Montreal in the USA, maybe an easier wheel set to source?

Last edited by Sean B; 02-14-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I know a few on here have done this and can provide better info than me, but it is usually just a reasonably simple disk/caliper/lines swap.
The only modification is that you need to tap a thread into the bolt holes on the hub because the calipers mount slightly differently. You'll need new bolts too.

The exception to this is if you have the very early Silverstone edition calipers, because the mounting tabs on those are different, and require specific hubs to match.

As for wheels, the Perseus wheels seem to be the dream for every X308 owner, and even come in 19" options, although you might have more luck fitting a unicorn on each corner instead, as they are VERY rare.
The other options as you mention are the 18" Milans, or 20" Montreals, but also there are 20" Detroits too.

I say this slightly smugly, as I have set of both Detroits and Milans waiting for when I finally get around to sorting out a new set of lines and the caliper bolts so that I can finally do my Brembo swap.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Lets use the correct terminology

The calipers bolt to the vertical links
Early calipers do NOT require any taping. They come with a adapter bracket that bolt directly to the vertical link in the same way than the floating calipers
Later calipers do not have the bracket and the holes on the link need to be taped/threaded
The hubs are exactly the same on R1 or standard brakes BUT:
The R1 are well know to have run out, vibration, shaking under braking and 1 jaguar TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) mention that the issue is with the hub being too small in diameter and that Jaguar/SVO were working on developing and producing a larger diameter hub to solve the issue
To the best of my knowledge ( and I know a lot on this subject) that never happened
This TSB is at least 15 years old

Britrover:
Do me a favor, ask your part provider for a part # for "his" hub(s)
2001 XJR R1

Last edited by luc; 02-15-2018 at 12:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
grandell (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

@ Luc, did your car come from the factory with the R1 pack? If so what are the colour swatches on the springs? Cheers.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi to all,

@Britrover: Unfortunately I can't help you with your questions, since my car had the Brembo brakes already equipped.
But can you tell about the source where you get the new hoses? Do you have any part no for these?
I want to replace my hoses during the upcoming months, so I'd be quite happy to know a bit more about this topic.

Cheers and thank you, Alexander

Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 AM
luc

Originally Posted by Sean B
@ Luc, did your car come from the factory with the R1 pack? If so what are the colour swatches on the springs? Cheers.
Hi Sean

No, it did not and that's why i know so much about the upgrade/conversion

Old 02-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
The hubs are exactly the same on R1 or standard brakes BUT:
The R1 are well know to have run out, vibration, shaking under braking and 1 jaguar TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) mention that the issue is with the hub being too small in diameter and that Jaguar/SVO were working on developing and producing a larger diameter hub to solve the issue
To the best of my knowledge ( and I know a lot on this subject) that never happened
This TSB is at least 15 years old
There are two different front hubs with different size wheel bearing. 76mm vs 80mm.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 AM
luc

Originally Posted by Andmars
There are two different front hubs with different size wheel bearing. 76mm vs 80mm.
Nothing to do with that, the 76mm was only up to VIN 853935 and all cars, Brembo or not share the same hubs
The issue with the hub was not the size of the bearing but rather the diameter of the hub at the contact point on the back of the rotors and wheel
It is why I said hub diameter

Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by xjr2014_de
Hi to all,

@Britrover: Unfortunately I can't help you with your questions, since my car had the Brembo brakes already equipped.
But can you tell about the source where you get the new hoses? Do you have any part no for these?
I want to replace my hoses during the upcoming months, so I'd be quite happy to know a bit more about this topic.

Cheers and thank you, Alexander
Don't have exact part numbers, but Goodridge make the kit for the XK which is generally used when upgrading to Brembos.
I think these are the ones...
https://www.goodridge.co.uk/products...nt=31947429767

Can find them easily on Ebay too

The following users liked this post:
xjr2014_de (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:23 AM

Thanks grandell for pointing out the Goodridge brake lines - but do you know, if they fit the XJR too?

@Britrover: Apparently you upgrade a x308 - where did you get your brake lines from? Thank you very much!

Nothing to do with that, the 76mm was only up to VIN 853935 and all cars, Brembo or not share the same hubs
The issue with the hub was not the size of the bearing but rather the diameter of the hub at the contact point on the back of the rotors and wheel
It is why I said hub diameter
This is what luc is talking about (see pic). Jaguar planned to revise the hub diameter to increase the support area of the brake disc but never did (as already stated above).
I'd desire a revision of the hubs a lot, since I experienced some vibration issues too.

Cheers, Alexander

Attached Thumbnails Front wheel hubs: Brembo Calipers-hub-sketch.jpg  
Old 02-16-2018, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member

If Jaguar 'planned' to address this but didn't why are the hubs being suggested to the PO as part of the kit? Why is it that the cars that came from the factory with Brembo option have them if they're weren't made? I personally think SVO adjusted them, we are talking low volume production here.
I never had one issue with the Brembo package on my 100, none of this run out, vibration, shaking under braking - Could it possibly be that SVO ground the faces?
The run out, vibration, shaking under braking is on standard car's hubs that have just the calipers and discs fitted, and I wonder how many of these add on's cars have genuine Brembo discs or OE pads. Could it also be sorted by carrying out a hub grind? Like Jaguar did?

A lot of conjecture here, I'll make some phone calls.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:59 AM
luc

Sean:
you have been lucky because it was a common issue. Jaguar TSB 206-11 adressed this issue : http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/TSB2...0vibration.pdf

Jaguar EPC do NOT show a different hub part # for R1 car
There is only one ( 80mm) MMC 1837 BB
The only different part# for R1 are the upper link and the only difference is the holes being already threaded and the upper link being chosen to be the closest to design specification ( tolerances)
Whoever is suggesting that R1 use different hub is simply wrong
No, why would someone be wrong? LOL

Last edited by luc; 02-16-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 376 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that the differences between the brembo vertical links and the standard ones was that the caliper mounting was machined to higher tolerances for the brembo setup, and I guess had threads cut already? There wasn't any option for brembo brakes on the cars with 76mm hubs so there should only be brembo specific vertical link part numbers available for 80mm hubs.

Mxd1629aa is the brembo specific vertical link for one side https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/jaguar-xj-x308-canada-mexico-usa-parts/steering-and-suspension/wishbone-and-hub-assembly-front/hub-and-vertical-link

Last edited by nilanium; 02-16-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Gents,

Apologies, I forgot to update where I landed on this project. I have managed to source a pair of front hubs, calipers and dust shields in the US so will attempt this upgrade soon.

@xjr2014_de

The SS hoses can be sourced from britishparts.co.uk

Old 03-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

It should be a straight forward job.
Having looked into it, nilanium highlighted the vertical link that must be used according to Jaguar - (no longer available)...But, the only difference has been highlighted in a number of threads by forum members that have tapped out the standard link.

I must admit I was adamant the hub faces got special attention, they might have done considering Brembo equipped cars had a trip to SVO (special vehicle operations dept. at Browns Lane) to get the brake system fitted, it may even have been last model year cars, like the 100 and XJR-R of 2002 considering earlier issues re: the service bulletin. See the violet dot on the dust shield, the SVO colours changed with model year. The dust shields also look 'modified-standard', a ground edge so the larger discs fitted, again members have carried this out themselves.

In short, a bit of work on the vertical links and dust shields and the kit fits? Apologies if I've clouded the water with my foggy memory, it's been a few years since I've looked at brakes on these cars, and it's something you have to get 100%.

Attached Thumbnails Front wheel hubs: Brembo Calipers-svo-hubs.jpg  
Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 AM

@xjr2014_de

The SS hoses can be sourced from britishparts.co.uk
My apologies for being blind as a bat, but I don't find the front SS hoses on britishpart's webshop. You can shop front brake hoses in the X308/XJR section, but they explicitly exclude the R performance option.
The correct part no should be MXD5670BB or MXD5670BC.

Or did you order the front hoses from the XK section? Do they fit? Any problems with length and/or connectors? Are they the same?

Thanks very much and best regards, Alexander

Old 03-08-2018, 08:19 AM

Hi Alexander, Best you call them or drop them a note. They don't list all the parts, but can definitely get it for you.