XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

this is frustrating but...... closure

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Smile this is frustrating but...... closure

Finally closure on these two related threads. Today I finally got my inspection sticker....emissions passed with flying colors. As soon as I got home did the re-set and driver window/sunroof window working properly.

In the process replaced evap,purge valve , got a new fob. More importantly I learned a great deal in the last few months about my xj8/2000-long. I just love this car.

Of equal importance aside from getting done what i needed to get done, is to personally thank everyone on the forum who contributed to helping me sort things out.

My next task is to get a dup key made and get it programmed. I know this is not an easy journey.I can get the key cut but the programming is the issue. Anyone reading this who knows how to do this(or knows someone who can do this) without going to the jag dealer...or a dealer who will do for a reasonable price i would like to know.I know its a long shot but no harm in asking. I live in north jersey and a stones throw from nyc.

Thanks to all jagjunky/robert

Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 872 Likes on 719 Posts

My local guy, with the correct software reprogrammed my second key for $35. -- $100 less than the local dealer. Hard part is getting the right key (after two attempts still don't have a valet key that will program).

Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM

yes jim....I to am looking for someone local.can get the tibbie but of course need programmer. After my last incident in giving the fob to a parking attendant and having the windows completely screwed up ...requiring a re-set, i have vowed to never give the fob to an attendant again. Therefore i do not need or care to have the green key. I just want another programmed black key.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjunky
yes jim....I to am looking for someone local.can get the tibbie but of course need programmer. After my last incident in giving the fob to a parking attendant and having the windows completely screwed up ...requiring a re-set, i have vowed to never give the fob to an attendant again. Therefore i do not need or care to have the green key. I just want another programmed black key.
I understand that sometimes (especially in your area) the valet parkers are a neccessary evil. Fortunatelly for me,....in my area I can avoid them easily. As I lived all over this great country of ours (Europe and Japan also), I've came to use valets many times. More than few times I've had problems. From small stuff missing from my car, to shoe marks on my door speakers, to bread crumbs on the floor (MF EATING HIS LUNCH IN MY CAR!!), etc.

I am glad to see you decided not to give the Cat to anyone to be "cat sitted". These cars are sensitive, fragile, getting old, etc. They don't need the abuse some valets are notorious for. When I go to Santa Monica for the night of barhopping, I park in a secure garage (Beverly Center), and take the cab down to the clubs. I am not too concerned if the car get's stolen (insurance will take care of that), but the "small" damage, equipment malfunctions, etc that the careless valet can easily cause, IS my BIG concern. Nobody drives my Cat, period, Not even my wife.

The following 3 users liked this post by danielsand:
bigcat777 (11-14-2013), Jhartz (11-14-2013), XJRChad (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 872 Likes on 719 Posts

"Nobody drives my Cat, period, Not even my wife."

Yeah, verily!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM

jim, i completely agree....no more fobs to parking attendants....at best they will just get the key...and they can lock/unlock with it.....i do a quick car check before i leave the lot and the attendant who has the key...

i have had stuff missing from mine on a few occasions as well...best policy....when your going out travel light...

Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I would sure like to know where to purchase the blanks/spares and how much to cut and program. I have to get mine done too. Putting it off to long. I never know who/where to trust n these issues. I hope you will continue this thread with specifics. Thanks and glad your cat is fine.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjunky
jim, i completely agree....no more fobs to parking attendants....at best they will just get the key...and they can lock/unlock with it.....i do a quick car check before i leave the lot and the attendant who has the key...

i have had stuff missing from mine on a few occasions as well...best policy....when your going out travel light...
NICE THING ABOUT GIVING THEM ONLY A KEY TO LOCK/UNLOCK, ITLL KEEP THE LOCK CYLINDER WORKING. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY TIMES IVE HEARD MY KEY DOESNT WORK IN THE LOCK.........UH TRY LUBING IT AND DO IT AGAIN

Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcat777
I would sure like to know where to purchase the blanks/spares and how much to cut and program. I have to get mine done too. Putting it off to long. I never know who/where to trust n these issues. I hope you will continue this thread with specifics. Thanks and glad your cat is fine.
About $40 for cut key, program after you receive it.

Express Auto Keys Online Shop - Car and Motorbike Keys Cut to Number or Photo

They will cut to your code if you know how to decode you key code, or from a photograph.

Decoding is pretty easy and they have a tutorial. But, if they cut from a photograph, then you are off the hook for errors in decoding.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks Plums...perfect!

The following users liked this post:
jagjunky (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:47 PM

yes thanks plumbs that was the link i was referring to.....but even if you do this ....and don't have the key code and have them do off photograph....it still needs to be programmed. need person/place i can go to to have this done .