XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fuel Smell from Trunk / Boot

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel Smell from Trunk / Boot

Hi all,

I have been doing alot of reading on here over the last few months and have been searching for a fix to my problem with no luck. The challenge of this is that it is not a problem that is always there. It comes and goes. It is a fuel smell. I have no codes. But every now and then, more often now, I would smell fuel while driving. I started doing the sniff test today because today is the stronger smell of the many previous times. I traced it back to the back of the car through the area where the speaker sits at the back cover behind the back seats. I don't have a speaker there, so I open the trunk to smell. When I opened the trunk, there isn't a strong whiff of gas, but once I lean close to where the fuel tank sits, I can smell it quite strong. Could it be leaking from the evap flange and is this a common problem? Has anyone had this problem?

By the way, I just changed the lines under the car about a month ago because there was a kink in one of them from the last time I changed out the fuel pump about six months ago. So those lines are in good working condition. My car is a 1998 XJR. Thanks much in advance

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (05-07-2021)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

The only experience I have in this matter is that there are numerous post on evaporative fuel system problems that produce such a smell.

Do you have any OBD codes?

Search for such. Remember the forum search engine is pretty weak and words such as 'gas' need to be highlighted with an '*' (gas*) since the Vbulletin software search ignores 3 character searches.

Searching outside from GOOGLE or other with a 'Jaguarforums' included may produce better results.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I have changed the evap flange and I regret I did not shop widely to find a good price for the part. They are ridiculously expensive. So check around it you do it. When I did it I did not smell gas at at all; my codes indicated that it was the culprit and I had had a check engine light for months. After replacing it, no further codes or problems.

When I did smell gas fumes it was from the simplest source. The gas cap was slightly broken and not providing a tight seal. Fill up the tank and gas fumes were present in the trunk and in the left rear seat.

someguywithajag (05-07-2021)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Received 13,349 Likes on 6,587 Posts

devxiav,

I revised the title of your thread from "Please help!" to "Fuel Smell From Trunk/Boot" to improve your chances of receiving replies from other members who may have also experienced this issue.

Cheers,

Don

XJRay (02-09-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 AM

Thanks much guys. There is no OBD code. Would you say that the gas cap could be the problem?

Don, thanks for doing that. I believe that change will help a whole lot.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by devxiav
By the way, I just changed the lines under the car about a month ago because there was a kink in one of them from the last time I changed out the fuel pump about six months ago.

Hi devxiav,

Did the fuel smell exist prior to your changing the lines under the car? I always start a diagnosis with the most recent work done. Did you replace the lines where they connect to the underside of the fuel tank? It could be that one of the O-rings on the end of a hose that fits into the tank might have been pinched or displaced and that fuel is spraying out and being absorbed by the foam insulation. I would think you could see evidence of wet fuel if you inspect the hoses from under the car.

In addition to the evaporative flange, it is possible for fuel to leak around the fuel level sender mounting flange, which is about halfway down the rear face of the tank (Part 8 in the diagram below). You can access the sender by removing the bulkhead trim panel in the trunk:

Would you say that the gas cap could be the problem?
You could try sniffing around the cap to see if it isn't sealing properly, but my assumption is that any fumes it is releasing would tend to escape through the gaps around the fuel filler lid/flap.

Hopefully others will have more ideas.

Cheers,

Don

XJRay (01-31-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

check your return line again. Mine was the problem with my gas smell. After the fuel pump was replaced the return line was improperly installed and caused that odor - which was painful until it was fixed. I'd start there if you dont have any CEL's

XJRay (01-31-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 PM

The fuel smell was there prior to changing the line and it is the line underside the tank that was changed. I will try to get under the car this weekend and also see if there is any leak at the level sender flange. In the meantime, if anyone has any additional ideas, please help chime in. Thanks

Old 01-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Here's my experience.

Here is lengthy visit to this issue. Note, the styles of gas tanks, flanges, etc. varied a fair amount over the years. Even the top complete flange assembly that Jaguar listed for my car was not an exact match.

To do this correctly, it is an involved job and new seals, when ever possible, should be replaced for the old. This is a problem because Jag does not make many of these seals.

Final comment (and in my opinion) one cannot get the seals to set properly, the rubber hoses installed and clamped correctly, or the quick connect/disconnect fuel lines properly installed WITHOUT taking out the gas tank and doing the job properly.

Best of luck.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-open-105797/

Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by devxiav
The fuel smell was there prior to changing the line and it is the line underside the tank that was changed.
devxiav,

I remembered one other issue that a couple of owners have experienced, and that is small rust pinholes on the bottom side of the fuel tank caused by moisture trapped in the foam sound insulation that wraps the tank. I hope that isn't your issue, but if you can't find a leak anywhere else, you may have to pull the tank to be certain you don't have any rust holes.

Don

XJRay (01-31-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a mechanic shop and I have been working on cars nearly all my life and was hesitant to buying a smoke machine/leak detector because of the price. Cars would come in and have check engine codes small leak detected, gas smell, fumes in cabin etc. Unfortunately without a smoke machine it would be impossible to detect these problems. I finally bit the bullet and it has turned into a money making machine I am simply amazed at where some of these leaks/problems are found. I would recommend finding a shop that has a smoke machine to pin point your problem.

Don B (02-03-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 09:52 PM

Thanks guys. I couldn't get to it this past weekend. I will tackle it this upcoming weekend accordingly to your suggestions. Thanks again.