XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Full load breather

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 01:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Full load breather

Vacuum leak and a slightly wet full load breather tube? Trying to track a P0442 saw a table showing gas cap amongst other things being a culprit gas cap is a snug with minimal to no movement on fitment i understand the part load breather needs to be cleaned at times but mine does not need that with a full engine rebuild by jaguars service department under 2-3 years ago everything being replaced with the upgraded metal parts new seals etc the only thing i can think of is since thats all new the air intake tubing might not be so i think thats a good place to start? It sounds great at idle maybe a little squeaky might need a new belt up front soon but other then that? Any suggestions would be helpful i do hear what i would consider to be a very low pitch hum up coming and going up front cruising at 2500rpm

Old 01-03-2024, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,815 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Did you get this resolved?...if not, clear the code and making sure the filler cap is secure and drive it a couple days. Then if the code comes back, it's hunting time, should only be an o-ring in the EVAP, but yours at 22 yrs old she may have weather check on the line...may need to get it smoked or do it yourself.

Be sure to check the purge valve on the vacuum canister, passenger side, front of right rear wheel. It'll take you longer to either jack or ramp the car than to check the valve. Since it was cheap and I was already there for mine, I replaced it anyway, took care of my code about 5 yrs ago.

This is from the X308 Workshop Manual, #8...can't attach it here, it's too large. Do search, should come up from others, including myself who have attached links to download.

The following 2 users liked this post by Highhorse:
ForTheLoveOfCars (01-25-2024), Jhartz (01-04-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Did you get this resolved?...if not, clear the code and making sure the filler cap is secure and drive it a couple days. Then if the code comes back, it's hunting time, should only be an o-ring in the EVAP, but yours at 22 yrs old she may have weather check on the line...may need to get it smoked or do it yourself.

Be sure to check the purge valve on the vacuum canister, passenger side, front of right rear wheel. It'll take you longer to either jack or ramp the car than to check the valve. Since it was cheap and I was already there for mine, I replaced it anyway, took care of my code about 5 yrs ago.

This is from the X308 Workshop Manual, #8...can't attach it here, it's too large. Do search, should come up from others, including myself who have attached links to download.

i did not but since its warmer out im starting to track it again surprisingly it would seem the cold weather made it run perfect i didn’t experience that rough rumble after being in park from driving for roughly 5 minutes no longer it came back since it got warmer but a super charged mini cooper i had a year back experienced the same symptom identical in fact and no other car ive owned has done that other then the two super charged cars so im thinking it might have to do with the super charger i was told this was replaced less then 5000 miles ago is there a service interval i need to perform? Any ideas as for the super charger? It does a weird rumbling feeling slight shaking like when you get really cold and your body starts to shake and appears to “run on” for a second or two after ignition has been shut down instead of the normal shutting off and things stop it rumbles on after shut down sorry trying to be clear i couldnt exactly find a great way of describing it the run on is not the engine continuing i do know my super charger belt is quite squeaky i have a new one ready to install but again was waiting for this warmer weather

Old 01-26-2024, 02:40 PM
Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Other things to check while you're under there are the hoses from the canisters (7) to the crossover pipe (11), and the hose from the left side canister to the tank. They're not numbered in the diagram, but a 3/4" (19mm) fuel line works.

The following users liked this post:
ForTheLoveOfCars (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by hispeed42
Other things to check while you're under there are the hoses from the canisters (7) to the crossover pipe (11), and the hose from the left side canister to the tank. They're not numbered in the diagram, but a 3/4" (19mm) fuel line works.
thank you for that ive almost finished with the suspension which is when ill be having a looksy around that area one category at a time and im good but i goof up to much stuff trying to go from one thing to the next without finishing first lol color me scattered but front sway bar links are done front shocks too got one rear sway bar link done until i pinched a nerve in my back trying to use the oscillating tool at a weird angle im a tall lanky guy so arm room is a must but my crappy $30 harbor freight 2Ton jack can hardly lift the car up and i just revently bought it im surprised but not “shocked” LOL thank god for jack stands anyway then i have to deal with what seems to be water intrusion into the trunk towards the rear seats on the passenger side battery area i feel its causing a flurry of issues so i figure before i try to sort anything else out i should start with that any tips for that would be greatly accepted 😁😁 after that it will be time to track down that pesky air trying to escape my jaguar vacuum