XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

The future of my XJR

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts
Default The future of my XJR

OK, my 2002 XJR has like around 97,000 miles on it and I'm trying to make a decision here between getting rid of somewhat tedious problems+potential extra expense vs. how much I love the car.

Contrary to all that I have done and spent on my XJS, which makes it a super and a highly desirable car, I have done very little in terms of maintenance and improvements to my XJR, other than what I've been forced to spend because of failures, which includes a brand new supercharger and replacement of failed chain tensioners. Other than that, I have spent at least 3.5K on various "limp home mode"-causing failures that include new throttle body assy, engine ECU, ABS control unit, etc. Other than that, nothing else of importance.

I see how other fellow X308 owners in this forum have done a ton of work and done recommended improvements, which is traditionally obvious work for cars over 50K miles. So, since I'm currently (and once again, should I say) fighting the "limp home" gremlins, I may have to shell out a few more bucks to resolve this tedious issue and, if I get it taken care of, I may be willing to spend a few more bucks doing the things that really must be done to an X308 in the 90K's miles.

So first, at 93,000 miles, is it worth it to spend more money on the limp home gremlins PLUS more money in the obviously needed maintenance and/or highly desirable improvements to keep the X308 decent for another 10K, 20K or 30K more miles of life?

Or, is it better to just get rid of this genuine and perennial source of headaches and change it for, say, a s/c X350 that doesn't have nearly the number of truly stupid problems that you spend your life stuck to with the X308?

I would need a list of work that owners who really care about their X308's - XJR's have had done over the years and would recommend that I get done, myself, on my XJR. I mean, other than those gremlins, I really love the car. I love this car's body style and its truly Jaguar, timeless lines. I love the fact that it is an impressive, powerful, fast sedan and I love the 977 wrms ICE with its truly unique 7" TFT display, digital sound processor and high capacity digital music/video storage. At this point I don't think that I would be willing to start from scratch a similar install again in another car. All the latter in this paragraph is, to me, a true enticement to keep the car, simply because none of these XJR attractions will be found in another Jag, or any other car, especially when it comes to the priceless body style.

Sorry for the length, but to generate your most welcome advice you really need to know where I am on this. All input/advice is welcome, no matter in what direction it goes, as I respect all fellow members.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Old 02-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

At just over 112000 miles, my 98 XJR, apart from blowing its diff the other week, has been no more cantankerous than any other vehicle I have owned over the years, and certainly a lot less than some !

Just routine maintenance, chains and tensioners at 99000, belts and plugs at 100000, hoses and UJs at 110000 and a set of tyres and brake pads.

Had to put a new battery in her just after I bought her, and few light bulbs over the years, and that is about it. Oh, and a couple of sets of batteries in the fob!

Not what I would class as unreasonable.

As you say... the looks... you can forgive a lot for those!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 720 Posts

Seriously? It is an old car. If you love driving it, fix it! If it is an Econ 101 decision, trade it on some piece of crap designed in Japan or an equally piece of crap from Bavaria, like you drive . . . no rust, good transmission, no engine issues, FIX IT, DRIVE IT, ENJOY IT!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
At just over 112000 miles, my 98 XJR, apart from blowing its diff the other week, has been no more cantankerous than any other vehicle I have owned over the years, and certainly a lot less than some !

Just routine maintenance, chains and tensioners at 99000, belts and plugs at 100000, hoses and UJs at 110000 and a set of tyres and brake pads.

Had to put a new battery in her just after I bought her, and few light bulbs over the years, and that is about it. Oh, and a couple of sets of batteries in the fob!

Not what I would class as unreasonable.

As you say... the looks... you can forgive a lot for those!
In your case, I don't see that you have gone through the pains and tribulations with the constant limp-home modes. Again, battery, tires, even chain tensioners, etc. I don't mind because it is an older car after all. But limp home mode from your relatives 100 miles away place is no fun, especially when it repeats after some $3k expenses. That is what is actually testing me here because it doesn't bother me spending money fixing obvious things on a nearly 100K miles car that needs repair.

If I could somehow have some assurance that I won't get stuck again far away from home, I wouldn't think it twice. I'd be actually happy to spend on improvements to bring my kitty up to where's supposed to be.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Old 02-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

I used to own this beautiful 1998 BRG XJ8L and that car, too, would go into limp home mode and it would do it at any time, including when I was driving on the fast lane at 70mph. I wonder what the results would be if I asked X308 owner here whether they've ever had a "limp home" mode incident with their X308, any model year, s/c or not s/c, and if they have, how often or for how long did it happen.

Cheers,

Old 02-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
I wonder what the results would be if I asked X308 owner here whether they've ever had a "limp home" mode incident with their X308, any model year, s/c or not s/c, and if they have, how often or for how long did it happen.

Cheers,
Knock on wood, it only happened once, it showed a transmission fault/restricted performance when came out of the office and started the car to go home one day. I had the car towed home, ignored it a few days and on Saturday when I started it to move it into the shop, it was fine. Not even any codes stored. Checked all sorts of things suggested on this forum and never found any faults. I kind of think it may have just been a temporary low battery condition or something related as I've read a bunch on this forum suggesting how sensitive they are to voltage drops. I've continued to drive it another 25K miles without issues, tho for peace of mind, I replaced the main pressure regulating valve after reading about the dreaded A-drum failures and how to prevent them. For a 16 year old car, sure its had a few minor things break, but it has really surprised me that its been as reliable as it has been.

But I posted in another thread that about 200 miles is my limit for how far I'd drive because I know that far I can get it towed back home where I can deal with any repairs at my own leisure. It is an old car and parts are hard to come by. Last week, I had to drive out of state for a funeral and while it was within the 200 miles, I chose not to drive the Jag because I absolutely needed to be there on time. If it were a casual trip that could be rescheduled, sure, but not when the destination is that important.

My poor brother has had some bad luck with lemons. He's had a Buick, a Nissan and an Isuzu with undiagnosable random-recurring electrical gremlins that defied all their makers attempts to resolve. Makes me wonder how some cars just seem to be plagued with gremlins and others are rock solid. In the late 90s, we used to have identical Dell computers at work and it seemed it was about a 50/50 shot whether yours was a total lemon or rock solid, there was no in between. Maybe it was just electronics of that era.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Had a "restricted performance" once, not long after I purchased the XJR.

I was on the M25 doing about 70mph, turned the cruise control on and the RP came up, it was an easy fix, it was a four way plastic connector on the vacuum lines to the cruise control solenoids that had broken.

It never actually affected the performance of the car though!

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (02-27-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler
Knock on wood, it only happened once, it showed a transmission fault/restricted performance when came out of the office and started the car to go home one day. I had the car towed home, ignored it a few days and on Saturday when I started it to move it into the shop, it was fine. Not even any codes stored. Checked all sorts of things suggested on this forum and never found any faults. I kind of think it may have just been a temporary low battery condition or something related as I've read a bunch on this forum suggesting how sensitive they are to voltage drops. I've continued to drive it another 25K miles without issues, tho for peace of mind, I replaced the main pressure regulating valve after reading about the dreaded A-drum failures and how to prevent them. For a 16 year old car, sure its had a few minor things break, but it has really surprised me that its been as reliable as it has been.

But I posted in another thread that about 200 miles is my limit for how far I'd drive because I know that far I can get it towed back home where I can deal with any repairs at my own leisure. It is an old car and parts are hard to come by. Last week, I had to drive out of state for a funeral and while it was within the 200 miles, I chose not to drive the Jag because I absolutely needed to be there on time. If it were a casual trip that could be rescheduled, sure, but not when the destination is that important.

My poor brother has had some bad luck with lemons. He's had a Buick, a Nissan and an Isuzu with undiagnosable random-recurring electrical gremlins that defied all their makers attempts to resolve. Makes me wonder how some cars just seem to be plagued with gremlins and others are rock solid. In the late 90s, we used to have identical Dell computers at work and it seemed it was about a 50/50 shot whether yours was a total lemon or rock solid, there was no in between. Maybe it was just electronics of that era.
Thanks for the feedback, man. I can't blame you on that 200 mile trip. I feel the same, but only with, like 100 miles, that's it. Heck, even if I have a hard-to-get-doctor's appointment within 20 miles, but that I cannot afford to miss, the XJR is then out of the question. My facelift six XJS is light years more reliable and so is the wife's little Z3.

Isn't it a shame that we can't trust an otherwise super car? I am very tired of this and I'm going to start checking the X350 forum to become familiar with what may be those cars' issues. I never did like the X350, but I guess that I can live with that Ford rear window if the record isn't as deplorable as that of the X308's or that of my own personal experience with my ex '98 XJ8L and/or my current '02 XJR.

Or if by now, mentally saturated with X308 pains and tribulations for the last 16 years, should I be looking in the direction of sedans of far higher reliability reputation, such as a 460L Lexus, or is that a sin for a Jag enthusiast, although I still have this truly phenomenal XJS convertible, (see gallery)?

Old 03-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Personally, I would test drive an X350 first, I was not impressed with the way it drove compared to a 308.

But then again, that may just be me, or the one that I did drive was not a good example!

Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
should I be looking in the direction of sedans of far higher reliability reputation, such as a 460L Lexus, or is that a sin for a Jag enthusiast, although I still have this truly phenomenal XJS convertible, (see gallery)?
I've been a longtime Toyota fan, primarily of Supras. I briefly owned a Lexus LS 400 myself (tho it wasn't very old at the time). At 16 years old, I don't think I'd trust a Lexus any further than the Jag. Its got just as many parts made of perishable materials and wear items as a Jag. Plus Toyota is also pretty bad about not stocking parts for anything over 10 years old (tho there are more available in the salvage yards). We've currently also got a 96 Tacoma, 99 Camry and a 2000 Tundra in the immediate family, and nephew recently wrecked mom's 2001 Camry. All have been of comparable reliability and some even maybe a little less than the Jag over the last four years.

The main thing I would want for a long trip or important event is primarily just a car that's much newer, fewer miles and less deterioration but still cool and/or unique. I was planning to buy a new or late model car this year and pay cash, but the stock market has postponed my plans. I've still got a 2007 Honda Ridgeline that I bought new. Hard to believe its nearly nine years old now.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
Personally, I would test drive an X350 first, I was not impressed with the way it drove compared to a 308.

But then again, that may just be me, or the one that I did drive was not a good example!
Thanks, Andy. I did drive one brand new one at the dealer, back in 2005 and it felt quite different from my -then- XJ8L. It felt more like big "Cadillac", very solid and quiet, but it accelerated like my XJR and it wasn't a s/c car. I do like the dash of an X350 with very generous wood veneer, as in "very Jaguar". I just need to get a little more into the reliability issues of the car.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Old 03-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler
I've been a longtime Toyota fan, primarily of Supras. I briefly owned a Lexus LS 400 myself (tho it wasn't very old at the time). At 16 years old, I don't think I'd trust a Lexus any further than the Jag. Its got just as many parts made of perishable materials and wear items as a Jag. Plus Toyota is also pretty bad about not stocking parts for anything over 10 years old (tho there are more available in the salvage yards). We've currently also got a 96 Tacoma, 99 Camry and a 2000 Tundra in the immediate family, and nephew recently wrecked mom's 2001 Camry. All have been of comparable reliability and some even maybe a little less than the Jag over the last four years.

The main thing I would want for a long trip or important event is primarily just a car that's much newer, fewer miles and less deterioration but still cool and/or unique. I was planning to buy a new or late model car this year and pay cash, but the stock market has postponed my plans. I've still got a 2007 Honda Ridgeline that I bought new. Hard to believe its nearly nine years old now.
You seem to side with the Toyota brand. I think that the modern Jags are reliable cars, only exception being the X308 typical problems. I've had work buddies who owned big Lexus sedans and they couln't have been any happier with those cars. That is why I feel tempted to offset my perennial X308 problems with one of those super comfortable machines. Oh, we'll see.

Cheers,