XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gasoline dumping overboard

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gasoline dumping overboard

Hi all: Twice in last few days wife's car (see sig. line) was dripping gas from bottom of rubber overflow line located in filler neck cavity at the rate of approx. 20 drops/min. Gas tank was 1/2 full. Car was parked on flat surface. There were concurrent gas fumes inside the car.

A week earlier, I had reconnected the elec lead to a small valve (mfgr Denko?) downstream of a charcoal cannister (spotless on inside) on pax side, front of rear wheel area. The lead had been pulled (generating CEL) to allow filling of tank with more than a couple of gallons without spitback. Repair of the valve consisted of a good dose of WD-40 from inlet and exit sides (someone had reported that worked on spitback problems). The "repair" seemed to work as the CEL went out and remained out following battery disconnect/reconnect and I could fill the gas tank without interruption.

The tank is now exposed and everything looks dry, intact, in proper place, not cracked or corroded, etc., etc. I'm wondering if the Denko valve "repair"and current gasoline overflow are related and howso. If so, I'll install a new Denko valve and keep my fingers crossed. I'm off to a rent-a-lift with a good strong flashlight. There has been no subsequent CEL.

Please forgive the jumbled terminology and thanks for any suggestions.

Jay

Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Default Update 1

On way to lift, I tried to fill up with gas but got spitback at 1 gal. I then put car on lift which revealed no leaks... everything seemed fine. I pulled the wires from the Denso(!) Japan valve (LNC1525AB; 084460007-5460; 12V) looking to get CEL and be able to fill the tank. Not so! The CEL remained off and I got spitback a second time. Upon engine start, CEL illuminated!

Thinking a slow-acting Denso valve was the culprit for a slow-acting CEL I waited an hour and tried another fill to see if I had schlepped past the spitback problem. Not so!. I got spitback aT 1 gal. In removing the gas cap, I got a big hissing sound as air rushed into the gas tank which was a new experience for this Jag. (I did crumple a '69 Ford gas tank by sucking all of the air out of it so I am somewhat sensitive to the power of little fuel pumps.)

Tmorrow's work sdequence will be to pull the Denso valve out of the cannister and see if I can fuel the car. I may then connect the elec leads to the unconnected Denso valve to see if I can fool the CEL.

On Monday I will be ordering a new Denso valve if I can locate a good source and I'm not told otherwise by one of the gurus. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jay

Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I admire the detail of your troubleshooting Jay, this thread is like your project log...it'll help others I'm sure.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I had the same problem with mine - couldn't fill the tank without the gas nozzle constantly kicking off. I replaced the "canister close valve" that you have found and that solved my problem.

The cost something like $60 and I bought it from JagTechOhio who posts (or used to) on the forums....

Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Default Interim success

Thanks for tip Ron. I had read your postings from before which got me started awhile back (spitback gas).

Today I pulled the Denso valve out of the cannister and reconnected the elec lead. After pulling pos. lead from battery and reconnecting after waiting a minute, car would fuel without spitback and the CEL was out. So much for my WD-40 "repair."

Now to order the valve. Since it connects to a Ford part (the charcoal cannister) it shouldn't be too hard to run it down.

Thanks to Ron and H2OBOY

Jay

Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Default Spitback and/or Fueling Problem Success

I located proper valve on eBay using Denso P/N. Used, from chop shop in mid Calif. For total cost of about $25 delivered to my hand, I got the valve, "exhaust" hose, and elec lead/pigtail. At local base hobby shop, I installed the valve, plugged in the lead, and proceeded to fill-up without incident. Gas fumes slowly abated, and several more fill-ups without incident and without CEL, I am done with this incident.

Hope this helps someone. On to the next problem(s).

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (07-09-2011)