XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gear box fault with a Twist!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gear box fault with a Twist!

it's like a doctor telling you you’ve broken your legs but let me just switch you over to limp home mode, and presto your legs work but only for walking not running!!
Why is it that i can get reverse, but no other gear. ie:1,2,3,4,5.
Gear box fault lights up, then give I give it a bit of a rev then goes into limp-home mode then presto car engages and 5th gear works, turn car off, same all over again. dealership ran scan tool and came up with, P1722, P0706, P0710, P1799, p1722, if gear box is broken, how does it work when in limo-home mode. it's like a doctor telling you you’ve broken your legs but let me just switch you over to limp home mode, and presto your legs work but only for walking not running!!
I doubt it’s the torque converter as this I think affects reverse and 5th
what do you think this is, The TCM, a Sensor, or gear box?
It all started the day before when i had it out in the rain all day, took it home perfectly well. the next morning i start the car, reverse out without touching accelerator (using idle speed) then 15meters down the drive way the rear wheels locked up very suddenly like I hit a brick wall, not spongy like the transmission was put into park, with the usually associated rocking affect then stops, it was hard. then tried to go back into the garage and no go, but give a few revs and it jerked forward, then went into limp mode, with no noises, very smooth and still get reverse but in limp mode?
I find it hard to believe that a gear box just blows just like that, no pressure no hard acceleration just idle speed then breaks!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

It is broke... 'A' drum failure is common. Limp mode allows you to get from the point of failure to someplace safe - or, as was in my case, to my friendly transmission shop.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I've come to terms with it cheers.
I have a couple of questions though, you may be able to shed some light.
why did it slam to a stop, would this be, what ive heard a term used clutch lock instigated by the TCM?
also
Do all gears rely on the "A" drum to work, hence 1,2,3,4,5 gears not working at all but 5th will work when in limp mode? if so how does it get around the broken "A" drum
I will admit that i dont have a full understanding of the theory of operation on autos.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't honestly know what planetary gear set connects through what clutch set, but I assume that an operating clutch in drum A is not necessary for 5th gear, ergo the operation during limp mode - I drove it for approximately 60 miles on the highway in this mode.

Also, can't explain the lead up to the failure - I got it with the failure and had it repaired thereafter. I have, once, had a brief 'slam' that felt as if the drivetrain had seized.. it lasted just a fraction of a second (was at 70 on highway), car immediately went to limp mode with many faults shown - traction, abs, tranny, etc... and a shut down/restart reset it all. This was about 8 months ago, about 1 month after I had the tranny done. It has never repeated.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 07-25-2010 at 12:45 AM.