XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gear Selector problem/no start. Car thinks it's in the wrong gear!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by greverrr
I could not find an XJR cable cheap for the life of me a couple years ago so I bought a used $15 XJ8 cable for the heck of it. If you modify/cut/drill/ and blend the XJ8 and XJR mount at the transmission (where I circled) it will work too. Cables are basically the same except for the tranny mount bracket. Mine still works flawlessly for $15 on ebay and a little bit of ingenuity. Disassembling the cable and blending everything together was my ultimate plan but like you snapped off your cable, I figured that would happen so I modified the mount
Can I ask what u mean blending? Just smoothing things out with a dremel or something? Thanks for the idea I may go that route depending on what I find tomorrow

Old 03-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Yup pretty much did what I could to make it work from what I remember. I cut off and left as much of the XJR metal mount as I could to keep, ground down the passenger side lateral surface, cut less of the XJ8's mount off, ground down the driverside lateral surface, matched those surfaces up, drilled a couple holes and bolted them together from what I remember. Here is a quality pic via the always sufficient microsoft paint clearly showing what I mean Make sure to measure 15 times and cut and grind once since there is not a lot of metal or room for error, also remember to strategically place the bolts so they don't butt up against anything and make for odd/offset placement.

Last edited by greverrr; 03-21-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 AM

Just realized where your home base is, where are you located in NH? I'm in Mont Vernon

Old 03-21-2016, 09:51 AM

Yup pretty much did what I could to make it work from what I remember. I cut off and left as much of the XJR metal mount as I could to keep, ground down the passenger side lateral surface, cut less of the XJ8's mount off, ground down the driverside lateral surface, matched those surfaces up, drilled a couple holes and bolted them together from what I remember. Here is a quality pic via the always sufficient microsoft paint clearly showing what I mean Make sure to measure 15 times and cut and grind once since there is not a lot of metal or room for error, also remember to strategically place the bolts so they don't butt up against anything and make for odd/offset placement.

Just realized where your home base is, where are you located in NH? I'm in Mont Vernon
wow that is quite the schematic thanks man. i am in manchester so not too far from you at all! i just picked this jag up in early feb from new jersey

Old 03-21-2016, 01:25 PM

Update: jaguar heaven saved me for 100$ with 90 day warranty! Part should be shipped tomorrow

Old 03-21-2016, 04:06 PM

Awesome find!! The part and the jag We sure are close, should hit up one of the local cruise nights some time this summer or head over to NE Dragway some Weds night

Old 03-21-2016, 09:14 PM

Yea I'd be down for a cruise night. If we head out to the dragway I'd bring my "race" car

Old 03-21-2016, 10:48 PM

I've heard the Nashua fri night Cruise nights at Target is decent, also one over in Milford at Country Stores but I would imagine you must know of some in Manch-vegas, shoot me a message if you ever head to one. I hit up the Manchester downtown show this year and finally got to meet Dennis Gage from My Classic Car, being a huge fan it was cool for me, especially since he is such a nice guy. Well now you've peaked my interest! What is this "race car" we speak of?!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 AM

I've heard the Nashua fri night Cruise nights at Target is decent, also one over in Milford at Country Stores but I would imagine you must know of some in Manch-vegas, shoot me a message if you ever head to one. I hit up the Manchester downtown show this year and finally got to meet Dennis Gage from My Classic Car, being a huge fan it was cool for me, especially since he is such a nice guy. Well now you've peaked my interest! What is this "race car" we speak of?!
nice. any other xjr owners in the area that you know of? would be cool to get a convoy going.

my other car is a 3000gt vr-4 with a lot of power upgrades

Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Nice!! I don't know of any other XJRs, was another in Milton but was sold

Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Do either of you two get down to Sturbridge MASS? There's a killer BBQ place there called BT's Smokehouse. Whenever I'm within 50 miles of that place I'm there. Brian makes some of the best BBQ anywhere and I've had Memphis, KC and TX and he can hang with and/or beat them boys. His brisket is to die for, wet and flavorful. His parking lot usually has lots of out of state tags....mine from FL included.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 AM

Before I moved from Boston up to NH last year I would ride through Sturbridge to get to Limerock Park Speedway but will definitely have to hit that up the next time I pass through. For a nice scenic driving, country roads, and great BBQ hit up Curtis' BBQ Bus in Putney, VT. I painted their catering truck to match their bus 15 years ago. Did it for $100 and free food for life curtisbbqvt.com

Old 03-23-2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Do either of you two get down to Sturbridge MASS? There's a killer BBQ place there called BT's Smokehouse. Whenever I'm within 50 miles of that place I'm there. Brian makes some of the best BBQ anywhere and I've had Memphis, KC and TX and he can hang with and/or beat them boys. His brisket is to die for, wet and flavorful. His parking lot usually has lots of out of state tags....mine from FL included.
occasionally down in melrose area but not too often west... there are a lot of good car meets in boston area though ive been to a few

Before I moved from Boston up to NH last year I would ride through Sturbridge to get to Limerock Park Speedway but will definitely have to hit that up the next time I pass through. For a nice scenic driving, country roads, and great BBQ hit up Curtis' BBQ Bus in Putney, VT. I painted their catering truck to match their bus 15 years ago. Did it for $100 and free food for life curtisbbqvt.com
what a deal

Old 03-24-2016, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

[QUOTE=greverrr;1427665]Before I moved from Boston up to NH last year I would ride through Sturbridge to get to Limerock Park Speedway but will definitely have to hit that up the next time I pass through. For a nice scenic driving, country roads, and great BBQ hit up Curtis' BBQ Bus in Putney, VT. I painted their catering truck to match their bus 15 years ago. Did it for $100 and free food for life curtisbbqvt.com

+1 with what vsol said....I am trying to get some contract work up that way the first of summer. I definitely need to check it out...thanks.