XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

gear shift sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gear shift sticking

My xj8 1998 is gradually getting more difficult to shift from park, was working fine a few months ago then would have to be put into neutral to start,(I get an engine failsafe mode message but when in neutral it starts fine) now it is taking ages to release from park and I'm reluctant to force it. It used to be fine and has slowly become more and more difficult also not going through the gears last few journeys revving high as it appears to stay in first gear, I pop it into 4th gear and then the gears seem to wake up then back into drive and it behaves from then on, I have a plan to change gearbox oil and filter but I think it is possibly something else ??? , I have had a look under j gate micro switches seem to be working but I'm not an expert, any advice gratefully received, I'm not a mechanic but I'm willing to try. Thanks in advance

Old 10-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

"revving high as it appears to stay in first gear, I pop it into 4th gear and then the gears seem to wake up then back into drive and it behaves from then on"

Mine behaved exactly the same way due to a stretched shift cable.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Similar to mine also - in my case, the swivel joint on the end connecting to the transmission had frozen up, which threw everything out of whack. Wouldn't hurt to slip underneath and check it (with blocked wheels)

Old 10-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

that happened to my 96 xj6,it was a torn bootcover on shifter cable.i filled it up with grease and it was good for afew years,steve