XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gear stick problems (2000 XJR)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017 | 09:53 AM
|
Default Gear stick problems (2000 XJR)

Hi everybody!

I was driving to my home at night and i already had restricted performance because of a faulty ignition coil (I swapped the coils to see if the fault code would follow(and it followed)), so everything was "normal". When i got off from a small road to a bigger road i noticed that the car wouldn´t change to the highest gear. I was driving at 80kmh and the rpms were 4000. Then i pulled over and changed to the manual side. Everything went ok 2th->3th->4th, but when i tried to switch to D it would not go, so i drove home in the 4th gear.

When i reached home i stopped next to the sidewalk and forced the gear stick to automatic side to get the key out. (I guess i could have gotten the key out by opening a screw on the j gate). After that the gear stick would move freely, but the gears would not work. If i had the stick in P the P light would burn and 2 would work as well, but in D,R,N,4,3 no lights. When i moved the gear stick around, near the 4 the not working lights would flicker really fast in their order (R,N,D,4,3). So i was still unable to get the key out. I took the j-gate off. There was a loose hollow screw sitting above the P micro switch. I managed to get the gear in D, drive the car in my yard, get the gear in P and get the key out of the ignition.

Now i have the j-gate back on and the gears work, but they are bit out of place. Gear indicator lights are not working. The gear stick feels very stiff when i move it. I also got P0705 code and some others that vanished from my obd reader.

What do you think, is it just matter of adjusting things, or did i managed to get something broken?

This is the hollow screw that i found. I guess its from somewhere in the j-gate.

I didn´t find any evidence that this part existed in my car, unless the hollow screw has something to do with it. (Is this a part that should be in every jag?)

Old 11-27-2017 | 10:50 AM

Here are some TSBs regarding the Selector Lever and Illumination Module.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
307-01 XK selector adj.pdf (46.0 KB, 170 views)
307-07am2 j-gate gasket.pdf (62.9 KB, 105 views)
The following users liked this post:
Buge (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017 | 12:46 PM
|

Thanks! I will try to adjust the selector lever cable this weekend and see if the transmission starts to work like it should.

Old 11-28-2017 | 09:03 PM

I forgot some .pdf info.

bob

Attached Files
307-12 w5a580 linear sw.pdf (32.3 KB, 89 views)
W5A580 Dual Linear Sw.pdf (308.3 KB, 77 views)
Buge (11-29-2017)
Old 11-28-2017 | 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Does that screw have any machining in the end for an allen key, etc? If not, it may have broken off the J-gate surround, if I remember right it had parts similar to that around some of the pins that held some of it together.

Buge (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017 | 12:42 PM
|

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I forgot some .pdf info.

bob
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by nilanium
Does that screw have any machining in the end for an allen key, etc? If not, it may have broken off the J-gate surround, if I remember right it had parts similar to that around some of the pins that held some of it together.
I think it was just a hole. I will still take a closer look at it. The screw had bit of black paint on the top of it.
I was thinking that maybe the loose screw was interfiering with the gear stick.

Old 11-30-2017 | 12:39 PM
|

In the selector lever adjustment PDF they say that car needs to be lifted. Is it mentioned for the obvious reason, that it's quite hard to be working under the car when there is only 15cm of space for you to squeeze in, or do the wheels have to be free from the ground to get the adjustment done correctly?

Old 12-03-2017 | 11:11 AM
|

Well, i tried to adjust the lever cable, but there was one problem. The lever screw had rectangle end instead of a hexagonal.
It was in too tough spot to fit a spanner to properly turn it, so i was unable to loosen it.

Im taking the car to a mechanic. Maybe they have a tool that fits, or they remove the exhaust out of the way.

I made also a stupid mistake. I left the ignition on the whole time trying to adjust the cable. I don't know what this may caused, but i got a bunch of new P codes.

Old 12-03-2017 | 03:40 PM

Do NOT loosen that rectangular headed bolt. The adjusting nuts are inside the car on the other end of the cable. Nothing needs to be loosened underneath the car in order to adjust the gear shift cable. The only reason you need to access the cable underneath the car is to ensure that the transmission lever on the side of the transmission (what that rectangular-headed nut is securing) is in the neutral position (position 3 as illustrated in the TSB motorcarman posted).

Once that arm is in the neutral position, and the gear shifter position is on "N", the cable adjusting nuts are secured.

Last edited by Samilcar; 12-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Samilcar:
Buge (12-04-2017), motorcarman (12-03-2017)
Old 12-04-2017 | 12:38 PM
|

Thanks!
This is what got me confused:

8. Loosen the nut (Illustration 2) that secures the ball pin in the transmission lever. Remove
the pin from the lever.