XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearbox Fault

It's not my fault I've got a gearbox fault message and it's now my problem. I once heard "Ford had a better idea" but this wasn't one of them. Would love to be able to use the dipstick to check levels, color and smell but that ain't gonna happen. Why? Because of some dipstick who eliminated the much needed dipstick i would find useful right about now. Who's fault is this anyways? Answer is It's MY fault and it's me that has to fix it.

Any ideas? Was running great. No jerks, clunks or other tranny related things. I've only just cracked the 50 miles since I've owned it milestone. My brother had recently put 500 miles on it before it needed new timingchain tensioners. That cost him $5,000 for the new metal ones. Dealerships offered to do the timing chain too since they were inside the engine anyways but my brother passed on that. Think the additional 15k was the issue. Now its my car and I'm poor.

Whats the next thing on my Jaguar calendar? What's my next move to remedy this situation. I'm open for any and everything you can toss in. I would like to have it drivable. I've heard they're really nice cars.

😊 Thank you!!

Richard

Old Yesterday, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Hi Richard and welcome,

If you inform us of the model and year that would help as there are a couple of variations.
If it's a normally aspirated engine it will have a ZF transmission, if it's an XJR supercharged version it will have a Mercedes transmission, the former has a few issues, the latter not so much.

Guessing, but your car sounds normally aspirated with the ZF gearbox, have a search for "Trans Go kit" on here because that would be a good start. They have a tendency to wear the valve block,
this causes pressure spikes and hard shifts because a valve sticks inside it's bore, the kit addresses this.

Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 2,241 Posts

If the car is shifting smoothing that warning may be just due to a weak battery. As above, we need to know more about your car. When you have time please visit the new member area and introduce yourself.

The following users liked this post:
Psycom (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM
Received 277 Likes on 165 Posts

Ignore me, I managed to post on the wrong website, let alone wrong section.

Psycom (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

5k for tensioners ! That's too much
And if you're poor with all honesty this car is not for you
Get 4 cylinder car less maintenance and less issue

​​​​​

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Psycom
It's not my fault I've got a gearbox fault message and it's now my problem. I once heard "Ford had a better idea" but this wasn't one of them. Would love to be able to use the dipstick to check levels, color and smell but that ain't gonna happen. Why? Because of some dipstick who eliminated the much needed dipstick i would find useful right about now. Who's fault is this anyways? Answer is It's MY fault and it's me that has to fix it.

Any ideas? Was running great. No jerks, clunks or other tranny related things. I've only just cracked the 50 miles since I've owned it milestone. My brother had recently put 500 miles on it before it needed new timingchain tensioners. That cost him $5,000 for the new metal ones. Dealerships offered to do the timing chain too since they were inside the engine anyways but my brother passed on that. Think the additional 15k was the issue. Now its my car and I'm poor.

Whats the next thing on my Jaguar calendar? What's my next move to remedy this situation. I'm open for any and everything you can toss in. I would like to have it drivable. I've heard they're really nice cars.

😊 Thank you!!

Richard
if you are seeing"transmission fault" in the diagnostic display that goes away if you turn off the car and it returns when you restart and move the gear selector into/ through the gears, it's likely a bad micro switches in the rotary switch module which mounts to the side of the transmission and is actuated by moving the shifter through the range of gears.

If this is happening, do NOT let someone tell you the trans is bad. The dealership replaced my transmission 4 times (brand new, under warranty ... about $80K to Ford!! Didn't correct the problem)

A quick fix may be to run the shifter through ALL the gears (engine off). This burnishes/ cleans the micro switch contacts.

Last edited by rhemsher; Yesterday at 07:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverjag0
5k for tensioners ! That's too much
And if you're poor with all honesty this car is not for you
Get 4 cylinder car less maintenance and less issue

​​​​​
Indeed this is why these cars sell so cheap (and tempting like the siren's fable). I wish I could remember who posted it to give credit, but somebody once said "These are really $10,000 used luxury cars. You pay $5,000 to the seller and the other $5,000 to your mechanic." And that post was made about $5,000 worth of inflation ago. They are always, always, always posted for sale at the point that they need thousands of dollars worth of "deferred maintenance" that the current owner doesn't want to spend on it.

There is a great deal of information posted on here about the common issues with the ZF transmission. Not uncommon for the A-drum to crack with no symptoms forewarning. You can search the X308 and X100 subforums for terms: "A-drum", "5HP24", "Sonnax", "Kuhl", "Transgo" and find everything you need to know to repair it.

Last edited by pdupler; Yesterday at 08:13 PM.
Psycom (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
Indeed this is why these cars sell so cheap (and tempting like the siren's fable). I wish I could remember who posted it to give credit, but somebody once said "These are really $10,000 used luxury cars. You pay $5,000 to the seller and the other $5,000 to your mechanic." And that post was made about $5,000 worth of inflation ago. They are always, always, always posted for sale at the point that they need thousands of dollars worth of "deferred maintenance" that the current owner doesn't want to spend on it.

There is a great deal of information posted on here about the common issues with the ZF transmission. Not uncommon for the A-drum to crack with no symptoms forewarning. You can search the X308 and X100 subforums for terms: "A-drum", "5HP24", "Sonnax", "Kuhl", "Transgo" and find everything you need to know to repair it.
Agree with you you can't buy this car for cheap if you buy it cheap prepare to renew almost everything . However iirc I paid around 1300$ for parts and labor the mechanic was retired and work at home garage from time to time just for friends . The zf5hp24 known it has issues unfortunately
If someone's poor and buying this car that's Short way for bankruptcy in his case 4 cylinder car best choice accord or Camry yes it's not quiet or built like tank but piece of cake to maintain it and the parts cheap last long time

Old Today, 03:09 AM
Received 277 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I wish they were that cheap!

My rough list so far is
£2.5k on the XJR
£9k to the garage, having done a lot of easier stuff myself
£?? Still to go as the arches are rotten from & rear

I should have got a tidier example to start with.

Old Today, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Never, never buy a used luxury car and use a commercial shop to repair it. Unless you can DIY the car just get rid of it. It will be a money pit!

The following 3 users liked this post by clubairth1:
57loboy (Today), RJ237 (Today), Silverjag0 (Today)
Old Today, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hooli
Ignore me, I managed to post on the wrong website, let alone wrong section.
that's funny!

Old Today, 05:21 PM

I can't find the spot to edit my signature or i would. I put it in the newbie welcome center.

Anyways, a 2000 Jaguar Vanden Plas x308 and just hit 100k. The message disappeared and car has returned to running normally. Thank the lord for that one.

not sure if Restricted Performance and Limp mode are the same thing but 1st time it was a real dog but I was on a steep climb. Last time it just wouldn't shift but had more get up and go. It may have just been me taking in the feeling of omg what did I break on that first run. And now that I'm thinking of it the 1st time when I put it in reverse I swear It felt odd and made a clunk going into gear which it never did before or since for that matter.

I have been doing a lot of cleaning and such on the car at night which may have brought the battery down. Doors open, trunk open etc etc and no real driving.

But yesterday it was fine. today?### light is on again after a few feet. Started okay, reverse smooth and silent, drive fine but I had to stop for traffic just after a few feet. Soon as I gave it gas I thought i heard n felt a little something? Seemed to come from the right front? Then yellow light came on.

Backed into my drive, parked and disconnected battery snd put on charger since you mentioned it. I had been thinking of doing that anyways.

Only other variable is i had just checked codes with a new cheap obd2 mini v2.1 which i now know is junk. Still had my p1647 code and reset it. Same as last time then next start I had this issue come up. I'm returning the scanner and getting a better one. That may be the current issue?

No matter what happens it has to go in for a fluid change. Finding someone to do it is proving to be difficult. I'd do it myself if I had a lift. I can rent one for $35 hr but 1st time I'd like to have someone that knows something about Jags and the procedure to change it out. THE DEALERSHIP? Ha! They won't touch anything older than 2010. That's comforting to know. I'm on my own on this adventure.

Thank you for the speedy reply. When I can figure out how to add a signature line i will. Until then I'll be sure to include it at the end of any posts I make.

Rich
2000 4.0L Vanden Plas Base na 100k

Last edited by Psycom; Today at 06:56 PM.
Old Today, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Psycom
I can't find the spot to edit my signature or i would. I put it in the newbie welcome center.

Anyways, a 2000 Jaguar Vanden Plas x308 and just hit 100k. The message disappeared and car has returned to running normally. Thank the lord for that one.

not sure if Restricted Performance and Limp mode are the same thing but 1st time it was a real dog but I was on a steep climb. Last time it just wouldn't shift but had more get up and go. It may have just been me taking in the feeling of omg what did I break on that first run. And now that I'm thinking of it the 1st time when I put it in reverse I swear It felt odd and made a clunk going into gear which it never did before or since for that matter.

I have been doing a lot of cleaning and such on the car at night which may have brought the battery down. Doors open, trunk open etc etc and no real driving.

But yesterday it was fine. today? I will know soon enough. No matter what happens it has to go in for a fluid change. Finding someone to do it is proving to be difficult. I'd do it myself if I had a lift. I can rent one for $35 hr but 1st time I'd like to have someone that knows something about Jags and the procedure to change it out. THE DEALERSHIP well if o could afford it they wouldn't take me anyway as they won't touch anything older than 2010. Thats comforting to know. I'm on my own on this adventure.

Thank you for the speedy reply. When I can figure out how to add a signature line i will. Until then I'll be sure to include it at the end of any posts I make.

Rich
Liqui moly 1200atf for transmission
Be careful with this adventure the wallet will be lighter if you don't know what you're doing

Old Today, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Never, never buy a used luxury car and use a commercial shop to repair it. Unless you can DIY the car just get rid of it. It will be a money pit!
agreed. Unfortunately i just inherited this car. Was my brothers so I have to keep it. But I know what your saying and has me anxious beyond belief. Plus my other brother just dumped 5k into it for timing chain tensioners that went out when bringing car home. So there's that too.