XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old Today, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 419 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycom
It's not my fault I've got a gearbox fault message and it's now my problem. I once heard "Ford had a better idea" but this wasn't one of them. Would love to be able to use the dipstick to check levels, color and smell but that ain't gonna happen. Why? Because of some dipstick who eliminated the much needed dipstick i would find useful right about now. Who's fault is this anyways? Answer is It's MY fault and it's me that has to fix it.

Any ideas? Was running great. No jerks, clunks or other tranny related things. I've only just cracked the 50 miles since I've owned it milestone. My brother had recently put 500 miles on it before it needed new timingchain tensioners. That cost him $5,000 for the new metal ones. Dealerships offered to do the timing chain too since they were inside the engine anyways but my brother passed on that. Think the additional 15k was the issue. Now its my car and I'm poor.

Whats the next thing on my Jaguar calendar? What's my next move to remedy this situation. I'm open for any and everything you can toss in. I would like to have it drivable. I've heard they're really nice cars.

😊 Thank you!!

Richard
It is very true that these ladies are extremely nice cars when they are kept as nice cars.
It is also true they can be a very large albatross when they are not properly cared for in
the manner they need to be. Determining that condition could be misleading when having
only receipts in-hand as proof of concept. Needless to say the transmission is one of the
"big-ticket" items which causes many of these otherwise great vehicles to become parts
cars. A twenty year old transmission could be difficult to bring back to "like-new" status
even under the best conditions. So, I am sure your "WOW!" is justified.