XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

"Gearbox Fault" Liniar switch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012 | 04:55 PM
|
Default "Gearbox Fault" Liniar switch problem?

I have searched and searched but Have not yet located the problem. Randomly when I drive local the Gearbox Fault light comes on. I have recently adjusted the cable comming out of the box in the center concol, Can this cause this type of problem? it seems like its shitffting a little hard. After I had the light come on again alng with the CEL I adjusted the cable again in the opposite direction but it did not seem to help. Now this is where i am confused, i drove it after i adjusted it back to normal and the light came on with the CEL and it stays on now after I turn the car on and off. I even removed the battery cables and left them off and touching eachother for a half hour. The lights still remain on? Any sugestions what I should do next?

Old 09-25-2012 | 10:16 AM

Adjusting or changing the cable is not a simple procedure. The trans needs to be in neutral and the correct alignment of cable/trans/j gate is a two man job. I recently did it on my xj8 but had to get an off duty Jaguar mechanic to do the fine tuning because I just couldn't get it 100% right. With his help the trans is now shifting perfectly and the car starts in Park which it wouldn't do before, only started in Neutral. One thing to check is that the ball and socket on the end of the cable are not rusty which would make shifting erratic to say the least, if this is the case, change the cable or maybe just the ball at the end of the cable.

Old 09-26-2012 | 09:38 AM
|

Thanks for the help. I adjusted the cable acording to the play on either side of the reverse position and cleared the codes. Ive only had the chance to drive a few miles after I adjusted it and its shifting great. I beleive its fixed but ya never know it might throw a code or something after a little bit of driving but hopefuly not.

Old 09-29-2012 | 01:06 AM
|

Well after I adjusted the cable it drive fine for a few local runs but just the "gearbox error" light and code popped up. No CEL this time. ive had to spcificaly use a scan took to clear the trans codes sometimes. But when the CEL was on it put out - 0715 turbine speed sensor twice and once d1000 standerd crap. It only throws any codes if it decides to shift hard reguardless of how fast or slow i am going. I realized today if i just keep the selector above drive,it wont do it. So im pretty sure it just needs to be adjusted the correct amout . But what im wodering is where exactly is that correct spot. Ive adjusted this few times but never had this happen with the warning from the gear box and being stuck in 3rd. ANY Suggestions? They woull all be very very appreciated.