XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gearbox question, driving style

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

I was toying with that idea, but decided to play it safe. Mine is covered on the bottom by the door panel for about 1/4", and I didn't want to risk breaking it. As I said,....it's cheap to get from the junkyard, but the closest one to me that has Jaguar parts is two hours away, so the cheap part gets to be worth more than half the tank. Since I was replacing the panels anyway,......

After replacing all four panels, I became a "pro" in doing it!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I know it's away from the original topic, but here are my findings on loose door mirrors tonight....

Took one of the mirrors that I removed from the car and stripped it back to bare bones.

Learnt that the mirrors I removed, and those I refitted are actually power folding mirrors - I just didn't realise this because they wouldn't fold. They were a bit loose though.

Anyway, the mirror I removed has a plate inside the motor/gearbox assembly that engages with a shaft - there was a bit of play in this from normal wear and tear I guess. Although I think that cycling the mirror fold action will engage the plate and shaft in a positive manner to stop the free play.

I have also learned that the fuse for the power fold also services the heated mirrors - guess what? Mine don't heat. So I can only assume that the fuse has blown, I will check this tomorrow as it is under the rear seat. 10 amps I think.

The above said, there is a diagram for the mirrors at the link below - I think if you have non-powered mirrors and they are loose, you are looking at replacing them? I can't check for certain because I don't have any non powered mirrors to strip down and see - sorry....however the bit that you should be looking at is the item that is fastened by items 6 & 7 which has the cable loom running through it. It is a motor when in power folding mirrors and I can only assume a basic spring pot for non power folding mirrors. To remove/replace this item in either case you will end up removing the plug from the loom to pull it through which seems a bit drastic....

Does that make sense?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...irror-jepc-pdf

Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

mine are lose on where they are folding. Definitely not power folding because i have no controls for it. So am i out of luck to fix it by just removing the triangle and fixing some screw?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM

As I understand it the control for folding the mirrors is the round mirror button on the door that you would use to adjust the mirror glass itself - the switch that selects either left or right mirror for adjustment must be in the middle position, and the round button is either pushed down or backwards (not sure which yet...)

Do your door mirrors demist when you select the rear window demist button (assuming that the weather is cold enough where you live at the moment?)? If not then you may have the same problem as me - the fuse for the mirror demist is the same one as the power folding.

Either that, or you really do not have power fold mirrors....and I am afraid I don't have any non-power mirrors to pull apart and have a look.

Last edited by richard thomas; 11-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sandy85 (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

ok will take a look, thank you for the effort. I never tried to push it, but i folded it few times manualy and i know that adjusting the mirror glass works and that heating of back window works - i have to park her on the street (i know it is shame, but i have no garage :-( ) so it got frosted already few times

p.s. i found it funny that you own a disco, i am a big defender fan my self (and did some work with them) and always surprised how british cars attract the alikes.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Try the demist in the morning - if the mirrors do not demist you may be in luck - that is to say, just a fuse change same as mine.

I never thought about power fold mirrors, and only recently noticed that the mirrors do not demist - only made the connection tonight when looking at the loose mirror problem...

Let us know how you get on - I will post back when I have checked my fuse.....hopefully it will solve the problem?

Just noticed the Disco comment (just fitted an uprated intercooler ready in time for a power chip) - it's only because good defenders are very expensive by comparison....I did own a 1971 109 12 seat station wagon with a 3.3 Perkins diesel a while ago, loved it but very agricultural!!

Got a pic of it somewhere, will put it in my pics sometime....

Last edited by richard thomas; 11-28-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

great, thanks! will post back with my findings...

Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy85
... Definitely not power folding because i have no controls for it.
... and you said only guys don't read the manual

Last edited by plums; 11-28-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Banned

will try it, maybe i am right after all :-)

another question relevant to the gearbox: is the P mode as good as parking brake and does it not wear/stress the gearbox? I am asking because i have to park on a steep descending road and still have burned in my head that i should not use parking brake so much in winter, but do not want to damage the gearbox?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 AM
Received 339 Likes on 190 Posts

another question relevant to the gearbox: is the P mode as good as parking brake and does it not wear/stress the gearbox? I am asking because i have to park on a steep descending road and still have burned in my head that i should not use parking brake so much in winter, but do not want to damage the gearbox?
The "P" range doesn't harm gearbox at all. BUT, if you'll park the car on a road with a big descent, it may cause a "torque lock", and it will require a lot of force to release the parking paw in the gearbox. That may damage the gearshift selector cable. The correct sequence is:
-When parking: activate the parking brake, then "P" range.
-When taking off: Put the gearbox in "D" or whatever else mode, release the parking brake.

But usage of the parking brake during winter is a bad idea (belive me ), since there's a possibility that you'll be unable to release it on a one cold morning. As for me - i prefer to park near the curb, slightly turn the front wheels in a curb direction, so the car can't move down the hill at all.

Last edited by MoscowLeaper; 11-29-2012 at 04:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MoscowLeaper:
JKo (11-29-2012), sandy85 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Banned

thanks, but there is no curb, only wall... Will have to park her down the street then.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 AM

thanks, but there is no curb, only wall... Will have to park her down the street then.
Russian tip:
during the winter, if you MUST use your parking brake - you CAN do it. All you need is to be sure that the pads and drum are dry. So, if it's a wet or snow condition you should dry your parking brake pads. Pull the handbrake one or two clicks up, and head slowly to the parking (no speeding, say 10-20kph, no more) for 50-100 meters. Pads and drum will be dry and there'll be no problems at all. The only disadvantage is the excessive handbrake pads wear, but they are cheap and it will require years to develop a sufficient wear

The following 3 users liked this post by MoscowLeaper:
JKo (11-30-2012), plums (11-30-2012), sandy85 (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Hmmm... Now when everything is fixed, it's time to take some pics LOL

Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

The Mercedes gearbox in the XJR has 2 reverse ratios, with the lower being in 'S' mode. In 'N' mode the 2nd higher reverse ratio is selected, so you can go stupidly fast in reverse if you really want a thrill from your XJR

I once saw an XJ220 Jag when I was in Moscow, near the Kremlin-never seen one here in the UK...

Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Red October
I once saw an XJ220 Jag when I was in Moscow, near the Kremlin-never seen one here in the UK...
We have 3 of them in Russia. Two in Moscow and one in Krasnodar(Sochi region, it's where the next Olimpic games will take place).

Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
We have 3 of them in Russia. Two in Moscow and one in Krasnodar(Sochi region, it's where the next Olimpic games will take place).
I miss Moscow... Hey MoscowLeaper, how do you get around during winter? Back in the mid 2000s I had a 98 MB W210 and then switched to a 2005 Maxima. Used studded tires on both cars, but Maxima with M/T proved a better car especially during heavy powder. In my time there, X308 was not a common sight in Moscow. Rather more S Types...

Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
I miss Moscow... Hey MoscowLeaper, how do you get around during winter? Back in the mid 2000s I had a 98 MB W210 and then switched to a 2005 Maxima. Used studded tires on both cars, but Maxima with M/T proved a better car especially during heavy powder. In my time there, X308 was not a common sight in Moscow. Rather more S Types...
X308 drives wonderful during winter. I hate studded tyres, so i'm using regular winter tyres, no problems at all. Can park in snow, can drive on ice, car handles AWESOME. The only things i miss, comparing to the X351 (which i often used to drive while i was working in Jaguar Land Rover Russia) is heated windshield and heated steering wheel
And yes, the 40s/300s/308s are kinda rare, especially the "R" ones. Lots of S-types, X-types, X350, X250, X351. Few X100/X150
Yesterday and to day we have a snow storm over here. The snow is falling, following by an ice rain, forecast says up to 50cm of snow during weekend. But Jag still starts, runs and brings joy No need in landrovers

Last edited by MoscowLeaper; 11-30-2012 at 01:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
plums (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The snow storm is supposed to hit where I live in Finland today or tomorrow, and I think it's currently worst in the south cost...

I too use studded tires on my X308 during winter. Only problem is that the traction control doesn't work very well with them. I have to turn it off to be able to overtake even on dry asphalt, or it cuts every attempt to accelerate short... the winter tires are only 225 wide, I guess the torque from the supercharged engine is just too much them.

Other thing I noticed is that the automatic climate control sometimes has trouble keeping the windshield clear when it's really cold, like -20C. I have to manually set it to blow up to the windshield, or constantly use the demist function. Minor problem though, all in all it's a very nice car to drive in the winter.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 AM
Banned

i was afraid of the rear wheel drive so i put on it 205mm winter tires, i have them on original Jaguar steel wheels. We will see. Drove it in the snow for the first time today and tried to go up some small hill covered in melted snow and it was fine.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by JKo
The snow storm is supposed to hit where I live in Finland today or tomorrow, and I think it's currently worst in the south cost...

I too use studded tires on my X308 during winter. Only problem is that the traction control doesn't work very well with them. I have to turn it off to be able to overtake even on dry asphalt, or it cuts every attempt to accelerate short... the winter tires are only 225 wide, I guess the torque from the supercharged engine is just too much them.

Other thing I noticed is that the automatic climate control sometimes has trouble keeping the windshield clear when it's really cold, like -20C. I have to manually set it to blow up to the windshield, or constantly use the demist function. Minor problem though, all in all it's a very nice car to drive in the winter.
I don't use studs, since with them it's almost impossible to brake on an asphalt, so i prefer usual snow tyres. With them TC works very well.
Same issue with climate control, so i'm in manual mode

Quick Reply: Gearbox question, driving style