XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gearbox question, driving style

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy85
woooooow

i love this forum, i am here like a month and it helped me so amazingly even though i am not an diY expert. I dont know how i will be ever able to thank enough for this help

so there have been some development with my mirrors, so not only i found that i have indeed power folding mirrors
but the suggested idea that i cycle it back and forth few times made them indeed firm again. At first they made only some motor noises, then one folded, then second unfolded and the first moved a little, then they both started folding and unfolding and now they sit tight in their place and dont wobble!

yea dumb moment for sure. RTFM

Thank you all!
So not only do you have stable mirrors now, you have power fold mirrors. All for the cost of pushing the switch a few times.

The giveaway clue was the wobble. And it isn't actually in the owners' manual. You could look until you were blind and not find it.

It is in JTIS at the remove/install of the exterior mirror glass.
If as a result of accidental impact, a powered fold-back mirror is moved 'out of position', it must only be re-positioned by initiating the fold-back sequence as described in this section. No attempt must be made to manually return the mirror to the normal position. Failure to adopt this procedure will result in vibration of the unlocked mirror head and consequent loss or distortion of rear vision.
Neither is the operation or resynchronisation. As a matter of fact the "power fold" option is not mentioned in the manual at all. It is in JTIS.
Door mirror fold-back where fitted, to facilitate parking in confined spaces, can be initiated when the ignition switch is in position I or II, the mirror selector switch is in the central position and vehicle speed is below 19 km/h (12 mph).

Mirror fold-back is then initiated by moving the toggle switch rearwards and releasing it. The door mirrors are returned to the normal driving position by again moving toggle switch rearwards. There is no speed constraint on this operation.

In the event of a fold-back mirror becoming 'out of position' due to accidental impact, it must only be re-positioned by initiating the fold-back sequence.Loss of power supplies will result in loss of mirror fold-back memory. In the event of such a memory loss with mirrors in the normal position, fold-back will operate on second movement of the toggle switch. On loss of memory with mirrors in the fold-back position, they will return to the normal position on next fold-back operation.
It seems people might have power fold mirrors without knowing it if they bought a used car because the power fold function is not in the owners manual *and* will fail to operate without synchronisation if the battery has been disconnected. Since the battery is quite frequently disconnected for one reason or another, if the car was sold and the power fold not synchronised, the new owner would never know without being told unless they stumbled across it in JTIS.

What cycling technique did you use?

I really want power fold mirrors for street parking ... so fingers crossed. Tried it before, but you never know, could get lucky on the third try ...

ummm... anybody reading this at work will just have to wonder until after work ... soz

Last edited by plums; 11-30-2012 at 05:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bonnequixote (06-28-2024)
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
X308 drives wonderful during winter. I hate studded tyres, so i'm using regular winter tyres, no problems at all. Can park in snow, can drive on ice, car handles AWESOME. The only things i miss, comparing to the X351 (which i often used to drive while i was working in Jaguar Land Rover Russia) is heated windshield and heated steering wheel
And yes, the 40s/300s/308s are kinda rare, especially the "R" ones. Lots of S-types, X-types, X350, X250, X351. Few X100/X150
Yesterday and to day we have a snow storm over here. The snow is falling, following by an ice rain, forecast says up to 50cm of snow during weekend. But Jag still starts, runs and brings joy No need in landrovers
Please repeat to the owners who think RWD and a few inches of snow is something to be feared

Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
So not only do you have stable mirrors now, you have power fold mirrors. All for the cost of pushing the switch a few times.
What cycling technique did you use?

snip

I really want power fold mirrors for street parking ... so fingers crossed. Tried it before, but you never know, could get lucky on the third try ...

ummm... anybody reading this at work will just have to wonder until after work ... soz
you see, usually such features have dedicated controls, so i didnt knew!
So if anybody as dumb as me reading it, you can fold it by pressing the mirror multidirectional selector up and down when the mirror switch is in central position (off). I just multiple times (about 10) let them flap like dog's ears and they somehow self tightened. Now they are very firm (before, it was as flimsy that it moved while driving) and i can hide them in parking garage without women's parking places
this forum is really immersive source of knowledge and how fast is everything handled is awesome. Even my shop didnt knew! They tried to fix the mirrors and said i should buy new one. Same with the antennae disabling etc. Sad i cannot help much to others as it helps me, but it should warm you that you make somebody happy and maybe if all goes well i will make some JF thank you wallpaper with my Kitty for fun.

The following 2 users liked this post by sandy85:
plums (11-30-2012), richard thomas (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 AM
Received 340 Likes on 190 Posts

Please repeat to the owners who think RWD and a few inches of snow is something to be feared
Hmmm. Do you mean that X-type owners???

Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 AM
Banned

that is rumor what BMW and Daimler drivers spread. But is all about driving style. My first car was old 520, i put 165/80 winter tires on it and drove like a boss through mountains with still wet ink on my driving license. I had to be pulled out of trench few times but i would contribute it to showing off in front of my friends then car.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Jags are fantastic in ice and snow. Most Winters I see Mercs and BMWs slithering around or sitting helpless with one wheel spinning, while the General tracks away like a main battle tank!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

To all three of the above ... the root cause of all fear in snow is learning to drive in the summer in a FWD vehicle. People who learned to drive in the snow with RWD only know that snow is fun time.

Actually, FWD is like a deathtrap in the snow.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
Hmmm. Do you mean that X-type owners???
Forgot about them

Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

im looking forward to a fresh blanket of snow in my newly acquired Jag, my last car which was a VW GTI was absolutely terrible in the snow, a VR6 FWD, might as well walk

plums (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

YeeHah....my mirrors now fold! Fuse replaced....

Took a couple of pushes on the button before they 'learned' how to fold again.

Happy days....

plums (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richard thomas
YeeHah....my mirrors now fold! Fuse replaced....

Took a couple of pushes on the button before they 'learned' how to fold again.

Happy days....

Fuse location and number?

Guess you did this on tea break then?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

NM.

Electrical diagram shows it as 10A fuse #4 fusebox at right hand heelboard.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

just a question, wouldnt blown fuse point at something bad? Should it not be rather investigated then just replacing the fuse?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 AM

Both above posts spot on!

Fuse is 10A in R/H rear footwell....mine had a 15A in which had blown.

I replaced it with 10A and so far so good....I can only assume that something has happened previously that made the previous owner fit a 15A to see if it would be big enough?

I am guessing that the mirrors I replaced were either very stiff to operate around the pivot which would blow the fuse as the motors overload, or that the defective mirror glass (it had 'bled' within the electrochromatic layer) was shorting the system and blowing the fuse.

However, at the moment the motors work great, and I shall report back tomorrow that the mirrors demist properly!!

Note - No teabreak today, having a day off....Monday too!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by sandy85
just a question, wouldnt blown fuse point at something bad? Should it not be rather investigated then just replacing the fuse?
Most certainly. But sometimes fuses just pop, out-of-the blue due to, I dunno, solar flares or something. It would be fairly standard practice to just replace the fuse. If it fails again immediately or soon after, then there's some sort of electrical issue.
Originally Posted by richard thomas
...I can only assume that something has happened previously that made the previous owner fit a 15A to see if it would be big enough?
Yes, unfortunately sometimes people do that sort of thing in a misguided attempt to "fix" electrical faults.

sandy85 (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Quick note as a check for power mirror installation...

If you can manage to prise off the small triangular panel on the inside of the door to gain access to the attachment screw and electrical plug....have a look at the electrical loom on the mirror side of the plug....there are 12 wires if I remember correctly....if you can find a grey wire and a red wire (not red and green as that is in there too and you can mistake it for solid red) that should be in the outer 2 pins on one side of the plug or the other (12 pin plug)...then you should have power mirrors - the red and grey feed the power fold motor.

Last edited by richard thomas; 11-30-2012 at 09:40 AM.
sandy85 (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

You guys got me going for a while over here! I am blond, but not THAT blond,.....so I checked the #4 fuse (all good), put the selector in the middle, and fiddled with the round button,....nothing. No sound, no movement, nothing. So my VDP does not have folding mirrors (has every other option that was available!)! Not that I would ever use them, but I like when EVERYTHING works on the vehicle as it should, so I needed to investigate this.
My driver's side mirror was loose when I bought it, and I thought Sandy's problem is the same. The only thing that was wrong with mine was the loose torx bolt that holds it. Still puzzled how (and why) did it ever get loose.

And about snow driving,.......I LOVE it! Especially on the frozen lake, as I did MANY times. In general,....I hate snow, and I lived long enough in the Midwest (and SEVERAL locations in Europe), that I can live for the rest of my life without it (and I do since 1995). Over here in the California mountains (3-6K elevation), we get some, but it goes away quickly. My ranch is on 3200' and we had two days of snow last winter. Just to feel in the groove, I drive the Hummer on those days.

I owned a 911 in Germany, and drove it in the snow all the time. Stick, RWD, and you can have some FUN!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

A blown fuse could be something as simple as trying to operate the folding mechanism when there is ice on the pivot. Notice that the option is offered in concert with the heated mirror package. So, if freezing rain is expected, it is best to leave the mirrors unfolded because coming back to a car with frozen mirrors and no way to unfold would be not good. Mind you, it is very tempting to fold them to keep the mirrors clean ... but a bad idea.

So far .. no joy .. but have not checked the fuse yet.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM

A blown fuse could be something as simple as trying to operate the folding mechanism when there is ice on the pivot...
Aye. Quite common, that sort of thing - S-Types will pop the windscreen-washer fuse if it's operated while the washer reservoir is frozen.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM

I have a feeling that the pivot mechanism may become stiff over time which would lead to the fuse blowing as the motors struggle to move - I think that is what happened with mine....

...I will investigate a method of lubricating the pivot tomorrow, I am just off to the pub to lubricate my throat now....

Quick Reply: Gearbox question, driving style