XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gearbox question, driving style

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=richard thomas;630819]
Originally Posted by sandy85
dont know about replacing, but high speed is not really the case. If you have the power and moneys, you can build tracks able to do it. QUOTE]

As I am led to believe, tank tracks have a very short life whatever the use mainly down to the forces (weight/power) involved.

Although it is true that there are 'rubber' tracks available for minimum damage to tarmac roads.....not sure these are considered in times of conflict though...

Hasn't this thread wandered a bit though :-)
i think the tracks do not damage the road when tank is not turning. They just lay there and car drives over them. The damaging part was mainly to the fields and simply environment it drives over. 30t truck damages any unpaved road so that none car passes over it again.
though we could agree that car with 20m tall thin tires would get better traction everywhere, would be better option as war machine, but is not realistic.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

[QUOTE=sandy85;630824]
Originally Posted by richard thomas

i think the tracks do not damage the road when tank is not turning. They just lay there and car drives over them. The damaging part was mainly to the fields and simply environment it drives over. 30t truck damages any unpaved road so that none car passes over it again.
though we could agree that car with 20m tall thin tires would get better traction everywhere, would be better option as war machine, but is not realistic.
I think a car with 20m tall thin tyres would be so tall that you couldn't climb up into it, and it would also blow over easily in a strong wind-however, it would be great to service such a vehicle & do oil changes from underneath with all that space to look up into

I'm sure a psychologist would be very interested in the direction this thread has now taken

Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

it is more then F1 car weight but maybe not more then normal car weight, because the F1 car can accelerate quicker then some 2t Ferrari with same power specs.?
A normal F1 car can get to 100Kph i less than 2 seconds. It weighs 640 Kg with fuel and driver.

At 190Kph it's downforce is twice the weight of the car. The car has enough power to overcome the drag created by the downforce (imagine putting your hand out of the car window at speed - as you tilt your hand upwards it gets pushed backwards - this is drag)

So a ferrari would need to generate considerably more downforce to do the same at he same speed.

But it is all a matter of power/weight?

For instance, one of my other cars weighs 480kg and gets to 100Kph in 3.6 seconds...but does not have the same top speed as either the F1 car or the ferrari....this is due to gearing and available engine power....

So it would need considerable downforce to do the same - which would probably create so much drag it would prevent the car achieving the top speed in the first place?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Red October;630827]

I think a car with 20m tall thin tyres would be so tall that you couldn't climb up into it, and it would also blow over easily in a strong wind-however, it would be great to service such a vehicle & do oil changes from underneath with all that space to look up into

I'm sure a psychologist would be very interested in the direction this thread has now taken
Do not worry, I am an engineer during the week, but at the weekend I am a nurse and psychologist...we are all fine here:-)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A normal F1 car can get to 100Kph i less than 2 seconds. It weighs 640 Kg with fuel and driver.

At 190Kph it's downforce is twice the weight of the car. The car has enough power to overcome the drag created by the downforce (imagine putting your hand out of the car window at speed - as you tilt your hand upwards it gets pushed backwards - this is drag)

So a ferrari would need to generate considerably more downforce to do the same at he same speed.

But it is all a matter of power/weight?

For instance, one of my other cars weighs 480kg and gets to 100Kph in 3.6 seconds...but does not have the same top speed as either the F1 car or the ferrari....this is due to gearing and available engine power....

So it would need considerable downforce to do the same - which would probably create so much drag it would prevent the car achieving the top speed in the first place?
imho drag is aerodynamics and power or torque (never knew that) is needed to overcome weight. Weight of the car is same as downforce. Both need to be overcome same.
So if you have 640kg car generating 640kg downforce with its on purpose "bad" aerodynamic, it is same as having 1280kg car which have no downforce. But you still want it to be as light as possible, because downforce helps you brake, while car weight creates momentum and as you said, downforce is there only when you need it (high speeds). But to get the speed, you need same power, regardless if it is weight or downforce. So i assumed that downforce is smaller then weight of same fast ferrari is heavy and you confirmed it. F1 is faster because its downforce combined with its weight is smaller then ferraris with same power and (in theory) aerodynamics.

Last edited by sandy85; 11-30-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

What diagram you looking at Plums? Would love a look....

I don't understand what the difference in motor might be for memory and non memory - I thought the motor might be the same but the control module different....I guess we are talking about 2 motors here i.e. the fold motor and the mirror glass motor? In my simple mind the non fold mirrors will not have a fold motor, however memory and non memory should in theory need the same wires to power the mirror glass motor?

It would make sense for the harness to be different for the fold mirrors as the grey and red are there only for the fold motor....all the other wires would be the same for the mirror glass motor, heating and dimming functions?
The two references are the electrical diagrams at 11.4 and JEPC to lookup part numbers. I was deliberately looking to see if the power fold mirrors had a second motor, and it is not listed. The only motor is listed as different between with and without memory function, but the same whether or not power fold.

The harness is similar but instead the part number is different between with and without power fold.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM

imho drag is aerodynamics and power or torque (never knew that) is needed to overcome weight. Weight of the car is same as downforce. Both need to be overcome same.
So if you have 640kg car generating 640kg downforce with its on purpose "bad" aerodynamic, it is same as having 1280kg car which have no downforce. But you still want it to be as light as possible, because downforce helps you brake, while car weight creates momentum and as you said, downforce is there only when you need it (high speeds). But to get the speed, you need same power, regardless if it is weight or downforce. So i assumed that downforce is smaller then weight of same fast ferrari is heavy and you confirmed it. F1 is faster because its downforce combined with its weight is smaller then ferraris with same power and (in theory) aerodynamics.
Ok, so as speed doubles - drag quadruples - this is unavoidable in air.

A car weighing 640 Kg has a downforce at standstill of 640 Kg (which is to say 1G - one times the force of gravity which is equivilent to 9.8 Metres per second squared (9.81M/S2))

To increase the downforce to a point where the car could overcome it's own weight and theoretically drive upside down it would need to achieve a downforce (upforce in this case as the car is inverted) of greater than 1280Kg (2G)

But to get there the power required is massive as the drag has increased by much more than the downforce achieved - the car wants naturally wants to slow down the faster it goes - this is due to the resistance created by the viscosity of the air....

Am I boring you yet?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by plums
The two references are the electrical diagrams at 11.4 and JEPC to lookup part numbers. I was deliberately looking to see if the power fold mirrors had a second motor, and it is not listed. The only motor is listed as different between with and without memory function, but the same whether or not power fold.

The harness is similar but instead the part number is different between with and without power fold.
I would think this is due to the ommision of the 2 wires for the fold motor (grey and red)

Could you post a link to the diagram - I have to admit that I am not an I.T. guru...

Thanks,

Rich.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

i would guess that it is better to have them as low as possible contact, not? I always little overinflate tires because smaller contact helps to put pressure on ground ? For the same reason are winter tires recommended to be as thin as possible (i have 205/80 or so).
The reason for using narrower tires is that in deep snow the front tires can cut through the snow better. It is also true to a lesser extent for the rear tires. They benefit from following the track made by the front tires. However, on packed snow or ice, more foot print is beneficial.

Remembering that the contact patch is oval, lowering the inflation pressure lengthens the contact patch in addition to making it slightly wider. In most circumstances, the recommended inflation pressure is best as you also need to consider speed rating once traffic clears and you are on the highway.

In the same vein, narrower tires are also better in slush because they hydroplane less.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=sandy85;630840]

oh thats good. i think you are first psychologist who would rate me "normal". Not even parents think i am normal (and i only proved them right by buying a jag).
Yes, I totally understand - I have confused my friends by not only owning a Landrover which takes considerable maintenance but supplementing it with a Jag which means more of the same....likes alike as you said?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM

The reason for using narrower tires is that in deep snow the front tires can cut through the snow better. It is also true to a lesser extent for the rear tires. They benefit from following the track made by the front tires. However, on packed snow or ice, more foot print is beneficial.

Remembering that the contact patch is oval, lowering the inflation pressure lengthens the contact patch in addition to making it slightly wider. In most circumstances, the recommended inflation pressure is best as you also need to consider speed rating once traffic clears and you are on the highway.

In the same vein, narrower tires are also better in slush because they hydroplane less.
This is, of course, assuming that the tyre pressure is high enough to maintain an oval footprint - if low enough the shoulders of the tyre are in better contact than the centre which would create an 'H' shaped footprint - which is how tyres wear at the outside first when under inflated.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 PM

not boring but overcome the border over which i dont know what you are talking about :-D
Not sure I do either - it's probably that earlier lubrication....or because it is now Saturday and I am now a nurse/Psychologist not an engineer...

Last edited by richard thomas; 11-30-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM

the reason they had somebody behind was that they were careful to not damage the roads and unpaved ways :-).

and your shoes were sliding not because they would change the bottom into the ice, but because you was either too light to grasp on such wide shoe, or because you had too short legs for how deep you could sink.
you can walk on snow using big boots, but you would need really big shoes to be able to run (more traction needed, faster you want to go). studded thinner shoes might as well make ice under you but would give you better traction (and walking is different then rolling, as you do not need to fight frontal resistance).
In the middle of a war situation, the Russians did not have the luxury to be careful about damaging the landscape-most of it was already damaged anyway by bombs & artillery shells, so the Russians needed a tank with wide tracks to travel over widely variable terrain.

My shoes were sliding as they had crushed the soft snow into hard ice-I saw this quite clearly when I lifted my foot out of the snow, as there was now a patch of hard ice which was very slippy.

I have very long legs & I'm not a light person-I'm 1.88m tall & weigh 95 kg.

I do not need to worry about frontal resistance as I don't run fast enough for that to be a problem-haha

Anyway, going back to the original question-the gearbox on my XJR starts in 2nd gear in 'N' mode unless you use full throttle & make it kick down into 1st gear. Starting off in 2nd gear helps traction in snowy conditions.

In 'S' mode the gearbox starts in 1st gear & changes up later-at higher engine RPM-than in 'N' mode. In 'N' mode the gearbox changes up into the higher gears earlier.

I'm going to bed now as it's far too late

Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red October
In the middle of a war situation, the Russians did not have the luxury to be careful about damaging the landscape-most of it was already damaged anyway by bombs & artillery shells, so the Russians needed a tank with wide tracks to travel over widely variable terrain.

My shoes were sliding as they had crushed the soft snow into hard ice-I saw this quite clearly when I lifted my foot out of the snow, as there was now a patch of hard ice which was very slippy.

I have very long legs & I'm not a light person-I'm 1.88m tall & weigh 95 kg.

I do not need to worry about frontal resistance as I don't run fast enough for that to be a problem-haha

Anyway, going back to the original question-the gearbox on my XJR starts in 2nd gear in 'N' mode unless you use full throttle & make it kick down into 1st gear. Starting off in 2nd gear helps traction in snowy conditions.

In 'S' mode the gearbox starts in 1st gear & changes up later-at higher engine RPM-than in 'N' mode. In 'N' mode the gearbox changes up into the higher gears earlier.

I'm going to bed now as it's far too late
Mine does that too!!!

Another beer, anybody?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Red October
The T34 tank managed to travel a couple of thousand km's over Europe in all weather conditions, from the icy snowfields through to the muddy roads in the Russian spring thaw. It was so flexible because it had very wide tracks for it's weight & could travel over terrain thought to be impassable by other vehicles & tank designs.

However, a tank has different priorities in life compared to a tractor or a Jaguar
However, tracked vehicles are completely different from wheeled vehicles. The tracks can float over snow, or bite through ice. Turning is accomplished by differential speed on the tracks. In fact, you can spin a dual track vehicle in place by using opposite motion on each of the tracks.

Comparing the two is like comparing snowshoes to skis and those two even have greater similarities than would tracked versus wheeled.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 PM

i dont know, i believed it otherwise
all i can say that land rover cannot climb wet hill simulating wet ice on 255/something winter tires while it can on 235/80 with the same tire type.
why would less friction be benefitial on packed snow or ice needs to be explained (same downforce, bigger surface, means less friction).
Good point, well made.

It is down to ideal tyre for the condition again?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM

However, tracked vehicles are completely different from wheeled vehicles. The tracks can float over snow, or bite through ice. Turning is accomplished by differential speed on the tracks. In fact, you can spin a dual track vehicle in place by using opposite motion on each of the tracks.

Comparing the two is like comparing snowshoes to skis and those two even have greater similarities than would tracked versus wheeled.
I agree. (I think)

Not sure they float over snow, it's down to surface area creating/using available friction?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 PM

It's like comparing Guinness to Newcastle Brown Ale & right now I could do with several pints of both after tonight's discussion

Goodnight-or should that be Good Morning as it's Saturday now

Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 PM

oh yea, fully lubricated my self too. that will be painful to read tomorrow what all i wrote.
Jagermeister?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

I would think this is due to the ommision of the 2 wires for the fold motor (grey and red)

Could you post a link to the diagram - I have to admit that I am not an I.T. guru...

Thanks,

Rich.
All of the reference materials are catalogued in the stickies or FAQ.

Quick Reply: Gearbox question, driving style