XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gearbox question, driving style

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Red October
It's like comparing Guinness to Newcastle Brown Ale & right now I could do with several pints of both after tonight's discussion

Goodnight-or should that be Good Morning as it's Saturday now
Feel like I have - Guden Nacht (Morgen)!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by plums
All of the reference materials are catalogued in the stickies or FAQ.
Thanks, I shall have a delve....not been around that long yet, still learning the site....

Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

You all made it more complicated than it really is. Why the narrower tire in the snow? Simple,....to "cut" through the layer of snow, and make a quicker contact with the hard suface (pavement). If there is no pavement under the "soft stuff", (and I don't care if it's the snow or sand!), the wider the tire, the better (my snowmobiles can prove it!).

And I lived for many years in the snow (Minnesota), and since 1995 in the Southwest (AZ and CA). When I go off road in my Hummer, I drop the tire pressure when in sand (easy to do with a push of a buton!). Gives me more traction, and get's me out of (even for the H1) sticky spots.

In MN on the pavement covered with snow, I want narrow, overinflated tires. On the frozen lake, the opposite,.....fat, underinflated tire (I don't want to cut through the snow on the top, and get my tires on the bare ice!).

And that's it! No philosophy, no nursing, no bull, ...just a real world experience in two adverse climate conditions that I drove in. I am driving for 42 years now, and I drove on all continents. Just an old man's experience here. Nothing more, nothing less.

But this thread went sideways LONG time ago!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Now .. there is practical guidance by example of what tires work best in winter weather.

Take a look at what professional rally teams use on their vehicles in the winter. Unless things have changed, it isn't wide gumballs. Ignore the use of studs where illegal.

These teams exist only to win and get paid to do it. They test everything as rigorously as any F1 team. They have dedicated factory engineers from both the vehicle manufacturer and tire manufacturer. The efforts these days can cost millions on an annual basis. Some privateers do well on somewhat less.

But, for all of them, you can only win if you can have best time over more stages than anyone else. If your tires don't work for the conditions, you cannot win. Every surface type calls for different tires, so for the purpose of winter driving, take a look at what they use in winter conditions and try to work out a compromise. Don't forget they can change all four wheels in the blink of an eye if they suspect that there is going to be more slush than hard pack or some other combination.

Bear in mind that even advanced regional rallies can present closed stage situations far beyond what a sane person should do on public roads. For example, diving down a country lane so narrow the frozen tree branches are beating on both sides of the car. At 80+ mph. That's pretty much par for the course.

Last edited by plums; 11-30-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by richard thomas
Thanks, I shall have a delve....not been around that long yet, still learning the site....
Happy reading ... should keep you occupied for many tea breaks

Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by danielsand
You all made it more complicated than it really is. Why the narrower tire in the snow? Simple,....to "cut" through the layer of snow, and make a quicker contact with the hard suface (pavement). If there is no pavement under the "soft stuff", (and I don't care if it's the snow or sand!), the wider the tire, the better (my snowmobiles can prove it!).

And I lived for many years in the snow (Minnesota), and since 1995 in the Southwest (AZ and CA). When I go off road in my Hummer, I drop the tire pressure when in sand (easy to do with a push of a buton!). Gives me more traction, and get's me out of (even for the H1) sticky spots.

In MN on the pavement covered with snow, I want narrow, overinflated tires. On the frozen lake, the opposite,.....fat, underinflated tire (I don't want to cut through the snow on the top, and get my tires on the bare ice!).

And that's it! No philosophy, no nursing, no bull, ...just a real world experience in two adverse climate conditions that I drove in. I am driving for 42 years now, and I drove on all continents. Just an old man's experience here. Nothing more, nothing less.

But this thread went sideways LONG time ago!
I agree!

I think teenagers should be forced to read this thread as an example of what can happen when alcohol gets involved....

Old 12-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

I think most teenagers would have fallen asleep after the first few paragraphs describing pressures & contact patch areas-unless it referred to pages in the Kama Sutra

Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by red october
i think most teenagers would have fallen asleep after the first few paragraphs describing pressures & contact patch areas-unless it referred to pages in the kama sutra
:-)

As an aside and only slightly back on topic (not the original topic, but one of the spin offs....) - my heated mirrors now work, tried them this morning.

Last edited by richard thomas; 12-01-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JKo
The snow storm is supposed to hit where I live in Finland today or tomorrow, and I think it's currently worst in the south cost...

I too use studded tires on my X308 during winter. Only problem is that the traction control doesn't work very well with them. I have to turn it off to be able to overtake even on dry asphalt, or it cuts every attempt to accelerate short... the winter tires are only 225 wide, I guess the torque from the supercharged engine is just too much them.

Other thing I noticed is that the automatic climate control sometimes has trouble keeping the windshield clear when it's really cold, like -20C. I have to manually set it to blow up to the windshield, or constantly use the demist function. Minor problem though, all in all it's a very nice car to drive in the winter.
In California we have russian chills too:

Attached Thumbnails Gearbox question, driving style-img_0507.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 339 Likes on 190 Posts

good sign that it's not "DEAD MOPO3"

Old 12-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
good sign that it's not "DEAD MOPO3"
I thought about DEDMPO3 (California allows for 7 characters max on their plates). Didn't want to mix Latin and Cyrillic letters... My previous plate that disappeared off my 4Runner that was stolen a year ago read "HAXPEHA". Wouldn't be surprised to see it back in Moscow, the plate that is. The 4Runner was eventually recovered...

Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Now .. there is practical guidance by example of what tires work best in winter weather.

Take a look at what professional rally teams use on their vehicles in the winter. Unless things have changed, it isn't wide gumballs.
Yup, on icy surfaces they use something that looks more like studded motorcycle tires: http://cdn.epicski.com/a/a9/a9b58845...ubbiesnow.jpeg.