XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Getting ready for a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016 | 10:24 AM
|
Default Getting ready for a rebuild

My 2001 XJ8 has 276,400 original miles and not surprisingly, the engine is starting to lose some oil and seems to be entering the final leg of its amazingly long life. It's time for me to start thinking about what happens next.

Given the long life and continued solid performance of this engine, would I be smart to have my current engine rebuilt? And if so, by whom? I've not found anyone locally (Memphis, TN) who can direct me to someone who can handle the job.

I have been pointed to a supplier called British Parts International in Houston that has offered some rebuilt engines to me.

Looking for some advice on the best and most cost-effective way to keep my Jag running for the next decade.

THANKS for any sage advice.

Old 12-06-2016 | 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

A swap would be the most efficient and quick process if your not looking for down time. It also gives you the ability to pull the parts off one and put them on the other so you don't have to worry about forgetting where it went or how.
Are they asking for yours as a core return?...if so, make sure they pick up the shipping cost.
Here's another one in Houston (seems to be the spot)...Remanufactured Jaguar Engines

Old 12-06-2016 | 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

I thought I was the high mileage winner on this board... 239K on a 98' XJR. Glad to hear somebody else has an even higher one than I.

Anyways, there are plenty of good used engines out there unless you just want a rebuilt one. I'd stay away from rebuilding yours, especially if it's a nikasil engine (I don't remember when they stopped the nikasil lined engines) because the machine shop would most likely need to contend with the cylinders and that can get very expensive.

​​​​​​​Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-08-2016 | 01:15 AM

It's very unlikely the engine is a nicasil engine being a 2001. The last of the Nicasil engines were made in 2000 model year- my car was one, and is a June 2000 car but had its engine changed. My engine was changed but parts of the old engine were transferred over ( I still own the Nicasil unit in my barn). It was carried out in California by the previous owner. Looking over my receipts- it looks like my new engine was rebuilt/assembled by British Performance INC in mission viejo , but the new engine was received from a place in Michigan called Auto Sports Unlimited in Zealand. The work wasn't cheap. Poor guy had to change the diff already 3 years previous to that (as did I again recently!).

It probably is cheaper to transplant a good used unit