XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

getting a "Suspension Fault" every once in a while?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default getting a "Suspension Fault" every once in a while?

So sometimes when I start my car I will get a "suspension fault" and the car will drive rough where ill feel every bump on the road but if I shut the car off and turn it back on, the "suspension fault" will go away and the car will drive normal, perfectly fine. It's a hit or miss, sometimes it comes up and sometimes it doesn't, it usually doesn't though. Any ideas?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

You may have an intermittent electrical connection to the shocks, or the sensors, or to the control module. Remove each connector and check for any corrosion. Start with the front shocks as they are the easiest to get to. Remove each connector on top of the shocks and then carefully reseat them and press them down until they click back into place. The connections to the rear shocks are not accessible but you can check the connectors leading to them which are under the rear seat ( one for each side).

Next check the sensors. There is 1 mounted to the the middle of the firewall and another at the front of the spare tire well. I don't remember if the there is a 3rd one in the compartment where the engine computer is or if the firewall sensor is a combination vertical and lateral accelerometer. If you are still having the problem you can check the multi connector at the control module which is up on the right side of the passenger footwell. This is very difficult to reach and you will likely need to release the module from its mounting in order to reseat the connector as you will need 2 hands. I could not reach it without unbolting it.

Hope it is not one of the rear shocks causing the problem as you will need to remove the upper shock towers to reach the connectors. Let us know how you make out