XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

GM LS1 LSx Conversions for XJ8/XJR

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default XJ Sedan- LS engine location and manual trans....

In a word, yes, you can do an LS engine and manual (6 speed) trans into an XJ8 or XJR. We have now 2 customers with that combo in XK8 converts, and the conversion into the sedan is very similar.

On the other question on engine placement, yes, we push the motor fairly far rearward. As a result, handling of the car is unaffected, even when engines from the truck models (with a 95 lb heavier cast iron block) are used. You can see the engine location clearly here. on our website:

Jaguar Specialties

I want to be very clear here so there is no confusion- the real key to these conversions is the CAN interpreter module (and firmware) that we developed so that the GM LS engine ECM can communicate over the Jag CAN to the chassis. Without this unit, the conversion would not be possible/practical- none of the gauges would work, the dash would be lit up like a christmas tree with warning lights, and the AC system also would be non-functional (among other issues). The project to create that unit was a year long effort. No one else has been able to do it....

The reason I mention this is not as a sales tactic, but more as an FYI. We have had several customers come to us now as a "second stop" in their XJ8 or XK8 conversion process, being basically swindled out of several thousand dollars by shops who claimed they "can put any engine in anything". However, when it go down to actually making the car work, they were stuck- no answers and nowhere to turn. The money was of course gone and the customer left out in the cold with a half baked project. I hate to see good people get taken to the cleaners, so that's the point here.....

To show our solution really works, please have a look at these 3 videos that we posted on Youtube, including one that actually shows the dash working:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jaguarsp...e=results_main

For more info, Email or call......

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 06-15-2012 at 03:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rlover (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the finished product look and all, like someone simply took the stock motor out and dropped the chevy motor in. But what I always wondered is what exactly details actually go into this type of work that the finished product pictires dont show?
Do the transmission just bolt up to the engine? How about the coolant hoses, ECU plugs, and etc. What have to be modified as far as mounts and or firewalls, exhaust system, driveshaft, and stuff. And what is the upfront costs of doing this modification compared to say getting a stock motor and dropping it in, on average ( I already know prices may vary but if it's been done before or according to the pics, many times, someone know the average costs.) I believe the LS motors new cost less than the Jag motor more than likely but how much is really saved up front if the modifications and other work to get the transplant to work is included.

Lastly how does it affect things like emissions tests especially the ones that are computerized. When the station plugs in the numbers, will it cause conflict with anything? I mean what would it look like if the VIN say Jag but the ECU (if changed) says Chevy? Wouldnt that raise a red flag with the authorities?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Detailed conversion info......

For the LS conversions into the XJ8/XK8, we use the GM 4L60E or 4L65E transmissions (4 speed auto overdrive)- the original Jag/ZF (or the Mercedes) trans is not used.

Our conversion manual (that comes with the kit) goes through all of the details of the conversion and how to complete it- engine and trans mounting, shifter hookup, cooling system, exhaust. power steering, basic electrical, drive line, fuel system, and much more. And the costs are very reasonable, especially considering what a replacement Jag engine costs, even good used. It is far less than what a dealer might quote for a new engine, and the cost (in parts) even approaches what the overall cost might be to install a good used engine. And then then the reduced maintenance costs and greatly reduced major repair costs will easily pay for the conversion over time. Here is a basic idea of what the costs might be- the first 2 items come from us, the 3rd item is common bits and pieces and services done locally, per our manual, and the:

Mechanical Conversion Kit $995
Electronic interface $395

Misc parts and outside services (small parts, exhaust hookup, AC hose fab and recharge, driveline work, etc.,.) $1000

GM eng/trans package ($1000-$4000, ranging from the most inexpensive 4.8L LS truck packages to the all aluminum LS1.LS2's etc.,.)

Labor- approx 60 hrs

As far as emissions, when set up with cats and the original emission pieces, the GM engines easily meet or exceed the Jag engine emissions performance. Our prototype XK8 passed the very difficult California emissions certification. If it can pass here, it can pass any where else, and that means perfect operation, no fault codes, etc.,.

I hope that helps. A conversion is not for everyone, and this info is not put here to say the Jag drivetrain is useless, or anything of that sort. But for those owners who want another option, this is worth considering. And if improved overall performance is your goal, this option wins hands down...

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds quite interesting especially for perfomance oriented driving. I'm more on the relaxed side myself and more familiar with the workings of most euro engines and totally lost on american engines outside a somewhat familiar with the LT1 from back in the day.

That 4L65E is one sturdy transmission. I think that is the one or one of it's varients that was used on the Red Label Bentley Arnage because it's near bullet proof and can handle lot of torque/power.

Thanks for the information, out of the hundreds of "miracle" transplant conversions that make it seem that they just dropped the engine in it, it's refreshing to get some details that allow a person to make an informed decision. Instead of getting knee deep because the poster said it "was the easiest and cheapest thing in the world." only to find out you have to cut the fire wall and slice into the frame to make new motor mounting points and the entire wiring in the car have to be rerouted and oh yeah it will cost 30 grand...as cheap meant compared to buying a Rolls-Royce. lol.

(In real life references to a couple of angry posters on a particular MBZ forum I frequent, where the conversion in question was they was lead to beleive that the W140 v-12 can easily and cheaply be dropped into the W126. Well, maybe it wasnt total fib as it was cheap compared to a brand new Rolls-Royce phantom and easier than getting congress to vote themselves paycut.lol.)

Last edited by blackwolf560; 06-18-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by blackwolf560
... and easier than getting congress to vote themselves paycut.lol.)
Won't ever happen. Democrat or Republican.