XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

going to look at this today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile going to look at this today!

Going to look at this jag today,will probably trade in the mach 1 for it. What do you guys think? I cant remeber is this the one with the good trans? And besides the idler on the motor what else should i look for? If it checks out i will go back saturday or sunday and pick it up.

Cars for Sale: 2000 Jaguar XJR in Milwaukie, OR 97267: Sedan Details - 339270195 - AutoTrader.com

Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 AM

Then i KBB it and come up with this! So what would you guys suggest i offer them?

Kelley Blue Book

Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Looks Nice!

Hi 1badcat,

Looking at the pictures this looks like a really nice XJR, let me know how your visit goes.
I would certainly offer less than the asking price, perhaps as much as $700 less, but the amount is really up to you.
Check that everything works, I looked at an XJ8-L last year and the driver's seat back did not move, the actual mechanism was broken, dealer would not fix it so I did not buy it.
Does it come with any warranty?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks i will see what i can find on here about what all to look for. I will be headed there in a few hours. I doubt it has a warrenty? But honestly thats not a concern to me.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

It's a Y2K cat, and the tensioners will have to be checked. Did you run the VIN? How many owners? Records? And being in WI, how is the rust situation?

I would need the answers to all these questions before I make an offer. I was just reading this post, and my wife came in asking what I'm doing. I said one guy is looking to buy a Cat in WI, and she said: "I wouldn't! It'd be a rust bucket."

Not neccessarily,...it might've been taken care off, and pampered (maybe not even driven in the winter), but there are plenty of them in CA, AZ, and such where the rust is not an issue at all.

Their asking price is more in tune with 2003 model in CA.

The following users liked this post:
1badcat (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 AM

Here is the carfax for it CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2000 JAGUAR XJR

It dosent seem like its had to bad of a life. I see you say watch for rust,im aware of it as i use to live back east. I dont live in wisconson as you missunderstood possibly, i live in miserable washington state.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

WA is not so bad...if you like CLOUDS.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 AM

went and looked at it today. Inside of valve cover is very clean,no milky oil on the filler cap,dip stick is clean,dosent smoke. Body is damn near flawless,wheels are flawless,only one crack on interior and thats the plastic under the arm rest in the center console. Everything works! Now just hope we can get out of the mach 1 loan and into this (long story), should hopefully know something tomorrow. Over all i give this cat a 7 out of 10 over all!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like you are going to get a very nice XJR. Slightly jealous but I can live with that. It does prove that there are still great XJ's out there.
Hopefully in the next few days you will be the proud owner of this XJR.
Please post some pictures once you get it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

That is a very sweet looking XJR. Driver's seat could use some touching up. Rust would be my main concern. After that would be the tensioners and water pump, but they are relatively minor unless they have failed already. I love the colors.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

White XJR's are not that common. I do not know the exact numbers, I do like the color combination though.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to look out.

Does it appear to anyone else that maybe this car has water damage? I know I'm only looking at small photos, but the rear seats and door panels give me a strange feeling. The door pockets might have water marks and sag a little? Rear seats look like they've been dried out from being full of water.

I used to work for a dealership that would buy flood cars and dry them out. They always came back with electrical issues later. The owner of the business used to say if it's not on CarFax, then it never happened. I promptly left that company...

I could be TOTALLY off base, especially since I'm not standing there looking at it, but something to consider when you are looking at it.

EDIT: Looking at the CarFax again, I notice it's been in WA for a while. So maybe I'm off base, but I'd take a close look for signs of water.

Last edited by SuperSport; 03-22-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I have to agree with SuperSport, every door pocket seems to have strange discoloration. I am not familiar with XJR, but why is the shape of the spare tire so well visible in the trunk photo?

The car has been through at least 3 auctions, 5 owners, registered in Florida, Massachusetts, then Florida again, then Washington. That car has been around a lot and you will probably have no service records, other than what was done with the last dealer and what you can deduce from the carfax.

The front seats look very tired. I would err on the side of caution.

Last edited by heima; 03-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Shape of the spare is normal- mine has the same cover. A good way to check for flood damage is to pull a cover (ECM cover maybe) and look in the nooks and crannies for droplet marks.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Shape of the spare is normal- mine has the same cover. A good way to check for flood damage is to pull a cover (ECM cover maybe) and look in the nooks and crannies for droplet marks.
Yeah, look for mud/silt in areas that would have been hard to clean. There are many places you can find it. The dealer I worked at did a pretty good job of hiding it, but there were always tell tale signs left over.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM

What if someone has washed the engine bay,could water not get in them then?

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to look out.

Does it appear to anyone else that maybe this car has water damage? I know I'm only looking at small photos, but the rear seats and door panels give me a strange feeling. The door pockets might have water marks and sag a little? Rear seats look like they've been dried out from being full of water.

I used to work for a dealership that would buy flood cars and dry them out. They always came back with electrical issues later. The owner of the business used to say if it's not on CarFax, then it never happened. I promptly left that company...

I could be TOTALLY off base, especially since I'm not standing there looking at it, but something to consider when you are looking at it.

EDIT: Looking at the CarFax again, I notice it's been in WA for a while. So maybe I'm off base, but I'd take a close look for signs of water.

Good eye,but Its mostly the pictures nothing is saging ,but the driver door pocket is a little dirty/discolored i noticed...

Originally Posted by JimmyL
That is a very sweet looking XJR. Driver's seat could use some touching up. Rust would be my main concern. After that would be the tensioners and water pump, but they are relatively minor unless they have failed already. I love the colors.
The seats are the pics,i thought the same when i seen them and almost didnt go look at it because of it. But once i got there the seats are damn near flawless..Why is everyone yelling rust!? It wasent in mass long enough,and the rest of its life its been in salt free zones..The water pump and tensioners arent a concern for me (see sig) but they didnt make any noice when i started it up.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM

I did notice that the front shock bushings at the shock tower under the hood, were brittle and flaking apart,and it looked to have an oil leak somewhere (residue on motor) i think it was a valve cover that was leaking.....

Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM

WA is not so bad...if you like CLOUDS.
Between those and the freaking liberals....that must be why i hate it here so much! Few more years and arizona here i come!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1badcat
Good eye,but Its mostly the pictures nothing is saging ,but the driver door pocket is a little dirty/discolored i noticed...
That could simply be a Soda Spill or something.
The seats are the pics,i thought the same when i seen them and almost didnt go look at it because of it. But once i got there the seats are damn near flawless..
Could it be that they dried out between the pics and you seeing it? Also, the Door Pockets? The Dealer I worked at actually used to use a Pressure Washer on the Interiors!!! Seriously!!! Needless to say, he went out of business about a year after I left.
Between those and the freaking liberals....that must be why i hate it here so much! Few more years and arizona here i come!
Hehehe. My brother lives there, and he's finally getting tired of the rain, but he thinks Hand-Outs are groovy, so the politics don't bother him. I'm in California, and I don't know which is worse. AZ sounds like a plan.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

That car has an interesting history -- the good is that there was a service warranty on the car and the owner had work done, maybe did the "big" things for you already. The bad (in my opinion) is the number of times it's been for sale and the one unknown -- to me -- what does it mean that it is exempt from odometer reading? Does it have a salvage title?

Quick Reply: going to look at this today!