XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Good Lesson on Unscrupulous Sellers...Rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 11:19 AM
Received 197 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Its interesting because i look around on ebay cargurus, ebay etc for xjrs just to see whats out there and from what ive seen, the pickings are slim and cars under 100k miles are quite a bit over $10k
Yea, those are usually the cars that end up sitting for months and months priced high. Facebook/Craigslist they're cheap. My 98 with 66k was listed for 12 on CL and bought it for 8500 in June. There are still some of the same cars on FB/CL from when I bought mine. Not sure why they are not so popular, probably because people are scared of the maintenance. I do them going for good money on BAT and other auction sites which is good to see.

x350s are much the same. Can't believe how cheap they are for how much you get. The 06 XJ8L I bought in September might be the best car I've ever owned, I'm asbolutely in love with it. 41k miles and only paid $8k for it from the original owner who stopped driving. So much car for the money.

The following users liked this post:
eliotb (11-21-2022)
Old 01-25-2023, 06:47 PM
Received 168 Likes on 124 Posts

Welp learning lessons on the supercharged x308 engine. Once youre in there, replace every single damn coolant hose.

After doing a bunch of other hoses during the last few months, my coolant level dropped a bit and i smelled coolant. Wtf now.

Turned out to be the egr coolant hoses. Hard to find and or expensive. Recreated with some 3/8" molded heater hose after rifling through parts store collection.

Anyway, thats it, every hose is new and id love not to deal with cooling system for a little while.

That said, with x350 pulley and aj27 maf, car runs terrific, so im very pleased with it.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Yes that's what I have come to conclude too. I try to recommend complete hose replacement because you most likely will need to go back in for another leak.
I did not see where you changed the hose under the SC? Again I am more familiar with the later 4.2L SC engine.

Now I don't want to jinx you but did you replace the DCCV? These are very troublesome on the S-Type but not sure about the earlier XJR's?
I "think" your model has one as well? Maybe part #MNA6711AC?
Perhaps the early cars did not have this problem as bad as the S-Types did either?

Old 01-26-2023, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 341 Posts

Full set hose replacement is the ticket. You might get away with
replacing one or two for a while but they usually fail in tandem.

Old 01-26-2023, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes that's what I have come to conclude too. I try to recommend complete hose replacement because you most likely will need to go back in for another leak.
I did not see where you changed the hose under the SC? Again I am more familiar with the later 4.2L SC engine.

Now I don't want to jinx you but did you replace the DCCV? These are very troublesome on the S-Type but not sure about the earlier XJR's?
I "think" your model has one as well? Maybe part #MNA6711AC?
Perhaps the early cars did not have this problem as bad as the S-Types did either?
Yup i did the under supercharger hoses, the octopus, the hoses to the heater core, all intercooler hoses, and those to the auxiliary pump.

I dont think we have a valve of that sort but i could be wrong

Old 04-07-2023, 06:35 PM

Been a while since i posted here because the car has been totally behaving itself, knock on burlwood.

Ive been doing small things.

1. I have a 6 rib crank pulley so i added the 6 rib waterpump pulley to add some resistance to the belt jumping a rib. I didnt have any issues, but figured it couldnt hurt.

2. Added chrome end caps to my roof grab handles. Actual metal parts...nice.

3. I replaced all my coil connectors. Six had snapped clips so figured it was good to do despite no issues. 15 bux on ebay for my early car and a breeze to change.

4. Was missing a few valve stem caps, so i splurged for jaguar branded ones. Cheesy perhaps but not very obvious and i think a nice touch.

5. Slight mist from the ps reservoir. Jag doesnt sell the cap o-ring but its a commonly used part for bmws, so i purchased the o-ring for an e36 bmw and it was a perfect fit. No more fluid film on the reservoir

Been really enjoying just using the car now that the butchery has been removed

Last edited by Quadcammer; 04-07-2023 at 07:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
87LC2 (04-07-2023), Ken Cantor (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 07:23 PM

Awesome to hear. Its nice getting to the point where you're looking for little things to do rather than doing big jobs because you have to. Hope you have a great trouble free summer with it.

Old 04-08-2023, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hey those chrome end caps sound cool!
Can you post a picture?

Coil clips are a easily broken wear item but you mention early car? I thought the coil plugs were the same for the entire run of the X351?

Old 04-08-2023, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hey those chrome end caps sound cool!
Can you post a picture?

Coil clips are a easily broken wear item but you mention early car? I thought the coil plugs were the same for the entire run of the X351?
This is an x308 and a 99 at that so it has the two wire coil connectors instead of the later 4 wire units.

Here is a quick pick of the end caps

Old 04-09-2023, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

They do add a certain touch to the interior!
Subtle but very Jaguar.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:01 AM

thats what I get for saying something. Knocking on burlwood did not work! For no other reason than I was curious, I pulled my fuel pump relays to check pump function. Primary pump worked great, secondary pump totally dead. checked the wiring...no issue there. dead pump it seems.

So out comes the tank. Elected to put in two denso 9510008 pumps in there with a new fuel filter because that was, you guessed it, factory original.

Not a terrible job, but not that much fun either. Definitely don't do it while tired like i did, because I didn't fully seat one of the vent hoses and got some awful fuel fumes in the cabin.

Kind of a silly method of having 2 pumps I feel. The 2ndary one hardly ever gets used for more than a few seconds, so its not surprising it has a shorter lifespan.

Oh well, $200 all in and a few hours on a slow friday, so not the end of the world.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:28 PM

Yup, had the same issue with my 98. Car ran great but I checked because I was curious and sure enough second pump wasn't working. Fixed it a while back, not a fun job as you said. The worst part was getting the fittings loose above the differential.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:48 AM
Received 239 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Kind of a silly method of having 2 pumps I feel. The 2ndary one hardly ever gets used for more than a few seconds, so its not surprising it has a shorter lifespan.
Means only one fuel pump to order & stock at the factory & dealers though, so probably sensible for the bean counters.

My answer to it not getting used enough is to make sure I regularly pass 4k rpm as I believe that's when the second pump cuts in on supercharged cars. I suspect it might* cost more in fuel than I save in pumps, but it's fun.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

I suppose that if you sought out and purchased an XJR rather than a non SC Jaguar, there was a reason for that.
Like all other things in life, there are instances where we must pay for our decisions even though we don't utilize
the reason for that decision enough to make it worth it. My days of flooring the pedal in an SS396 and burning
rubber for half a block are long past, but I am still grateful for the wonderful 4.0 Liter that will push you back into
your seat when called upon.

Last edited by RandyS; 04-17-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:49 AM

ha, the extra thrust above 3,500 is totally worth the fuel costs. That said, I feel like a computer should be able to periodically (every other start or whatever) swap the pump's duty so that they get even usage. The logic of programming that would not be difficult and with the ethanol fuel now out there, would definitely help to keep things working.

now that I think about it, you could just use quick disconnects to the pump power harness and swap them over periodically yourself to perform the same function, but then that is another failure point so....eh

Old 04-17-2023, 10:23 AM
Received 239 Likes on 144 Posts

Yeah I agree about swapping the use over regularly, I thought that when I found out about them too.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Ha, yeah I would agree....except....the extra fuel pump is not the only additional costs that an SC Jaguar
will usually require. (or so it seems as I read these forum articles.)

Old 04-17-2023, 11:12 AM

I'd glady take the realtively minor extra costs on the XJR over the time bomb of a ZF transmission they put in the 4.0L cars. Have never heard anything good about that unit while the 5-speed Mercedes box in the R is very stout. Pick your poison I guess, but the extra 100hp of the R is well worth the extra cost & maintenance (in my opinion).

Old 04-17-2023, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

MINOR is the key word there. I agree that having the extra horsepower is nice, having come from
that camp some time ago. In those days, of course, there wasn't as much traffic as we find today,
and the personal need for performance was much greater. It's really just a matter of choice.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:59 AM

Quick update, car has generally been good, haven't driven it much as i've been towing my race car with my SUV so its been sitting in the garage.

Since my last update:

1. Gen 5 eaton. Perhaps some performance increase (not massive, likely not worth it by itself), but cured by somewhat gravelly hot idle sound
2. New 722.6 conductor plate, pressure regulator spring (sonnax), Overlap valves (all 3, kit from sonnax), and fresh Shell 134 fluid. What a difference this made to shifting. Has essentially eliminated the occasionally lurching and bang shifts I would get. Car is much more pleasant around town now. Really pleased here. Cost about $250.
3. Switched from early model "stick" style dash clock to the later style numerical clock. Small change, but I really prefer the look of the newer one.
4. Added a boost gauge which lives in the coin holder cubby. there is enough slack in the nylon line that I can put it up by the gauges if I would like to check boost. Roughly 15inhg of vacuum at steady state cruise, 22inhg under mid rpm decel, and 14ish PSI on a hot day.

Other than that, I've just treated the interior with 303 protectant, leather conditioner, and given it a decent waxing.

My plan for the fall or winter will be to do all the bushings in the front end and the rear forward subframe bushings.

Sadly, I'm considering consolidating cars a bit in the next six months or so, so there is a chance I will be selling the car to go with another supercharged british V8...a newer (2020ish) Range Rover Autobiography, but we'll see if that comes to fruition. Until then, I'm going to try to use the car as much as I can.

The following users liked this post:
87LC2 (08-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Good Lesson on Unscrupulous Sellers...Rant