XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Goodyear Eagle Sports 255/40/18 in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle Sports 255/40/18 in the Snow

Hello All!

Here is my review of the tires I put on my XJR 6k miles ago. Well suffice to say I was skeptical at first as Im not a big Goodyear fan and the fact that I was going from a performance summer tire to an all season tire.

Summer, exceeded my expectations, had great grip from a standstill(trac control off, first gear starts, some wheel spin but VERY acceptable) and very predictable on on/off ramps and some roads where I pushed it(not many fun roads here in boring Illinois)

Fall, again, excelled in wet weather, no hydroplaning at all even at high speeds, can't say the same of my last set of Dunlops.

Winter, well we have gotten more than a few inches here south of Chicago, and although they are not snow tires, I am mightily impressed with how they perform. I have out accelerated 4x4s, Hondas and others, car is surprisingly stable and is not unsettled changing lanes going from "clean ruts" to the snow between them. Granted I only have 6k miles on them, so next year will be more informative.

I have only driven this car in the winter one other time in it's life and was scary with the summer tires and I feel bad that I have to put it through this, but its getting washed constantly

Only downside is there is more tire noise than I like, no one notices it, but I do, the Dunlops were whisper quiet, these are not. In fact I was afraid the alingment was off,(had it done as soon as the tires were installed) that I have brought it back three times just to make sure it was ok(I saw the screens, Im sure the shop loves me ) and have already rotated them. At least so far the sound is not getting any louder, in fact in may be getting more quiet.

So there is my review, I bought them at Discount Tire for 190 a piece plus an $80 rebate. Hope this helps anyone who may be looking for replacement tires. Too they have a great looking sidewall and tread!!!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Speed+Rated%29

Chris

Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the review. My car will need tires soon, and I want to switch them to an all-season rating. Goodyears will be on the radar.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Cooper CS4 all season M&S are very close and lots cheaper (and quieter).

Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The contiental contiextreme contact DWS are really good in the winter on my car. I'm running 245/45/18 on mine. They are also #1 in the tire rack user surveys for ultra high performance all season tires. They are reasonably priced too.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
The contiental contiextreme contact DWS are really good in the winter on my car. I'm running 245/45/18 on mine. They are also #1 in the tire rack user surveys for ultra high performance all season tires. They are reasonably priced too.
I heard they were good tires, at the time I was pinching pennies and saved $200 over those. I would like to hear how they wear as I was also looking for a high mileage (relative of course) tire too. It's an interesting concept the "DWS".

Too the noise is far from loud or bothersome, just louder than the Dunlops I had on it. Then again, I could b wrong as the car sat for a few years and I may be foggy on what I "remember"

Chris

Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbenz94
I heard they were good tires, at the time I was pinching pennies and saved $200 over those. I would like to hear how they wear as I was also looking for a high mileage (relative of course) tire too. It's an interesting concept the "DWS".

Too the noise is far from loud or bothersome, just louder than the Dunlops I had on it. Then again, I could b wrong as the car sat for a few years and I may be foggy on what I "remember"

Chris
The contiental contiextremecontact DWS are very quiet. Much quieter than the Contiextremecontact NON DWS I had on it before. The tire wear on my front tires is good. I have about 15k miles on it, and the tread is still good, and the 'DWS' on the tire still says it is good for the dry, wet, and snow. Assuming that is more than a gimmick. The winter traction on these are superior to the older non-DWS tires I had. It was funny to see a 2wd open diff pickup stuck on the ice in a parking lot for 30 mins with 4 people tring to push it while I just cruised on by.

My rear tires are wearing quickly. I think my rear alignment is off, as I have a bit of inner tire wear.

These all season tires with traction control are a good combo. It should be noted that not all X308s have the same traction control systems, however. One system just cuts the gas which is useless in the winter, while the other system brakes the slipping wheel to effectively transfer power to the other side with traction. A pesudo limited slip of sorts. That system is very useful.

Last edited by burmaz; 12-12-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same Tires Same Response

Hello All,

I also have these tires and I am very impressed with how they handle. I have about 4k on them and we have had a lot of cold, rainy, sometimes icy roads here in New England. I was scared at first to push it given my history with my last Pirelli's and how poorly they handled. But I am very impressed and recommend these to anyone!