XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gopi's supercharger rebuid and Coolant hoses

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Gopi Hira
thank you popeye! i will rebuild the snout shortly once parts come in...bought a m112 rebuild kit with oil and all...will rebuild the snout for sure...but for the rear bearings im not so sure... as i herd they are pressfit
the rear needle bearings are diy changeable, it's the center bearings that are a no-go.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

also guys and gals! please pray to the Car-Gods! that i did not warp the heads or gasket...pretty please! loll that is what keeps me up at night lolll

i did a compression test they all tested within 115-120psi range with 5 crankovers....but it did reach 228-230F in temp...that is the monster im afraid of :/ but doing some research online aluminum heads dont warp until 245F or above...im praying our jags can handle a little bit of heat! didnt abuse it either just drove it home and cut her open. (about 8-10 mins)[/QUOTE]

230 isn't bad, its when you get to 250 that I would be concerned...your compression test bears that out.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks, I am in the process of removing hads due to a gasket failure, I hope a gasket failure, bobbles in coolant.
Have just pulled all the Intake and SC.
Thanks for parts lists, helps.
Guess you will also need the brake line booster connection. Mine had disintegrated.

PN. C2S15816

Old 05-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Vac hoses (reassembly)

*bump*

okay i forgot how these connect...

the vac lines from the throttle body and coolers...

over-view..

lines to the top of this picture (left side *USA* driver side)

Last edited by Gopi Hira; 05-11-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dsetter
Thanks, I am in the process of removing hads due to a gasket failure, I hope a gasket failure, bobbles in coolant.
Have just pulled all the Intake and SC.
Thanks for parts lists, helps.
Guess you will also need the brake line booster connection. Mine had disintegrated.

PN. C2S15816
good luck with yours sir...what caused the gasket to fail? overheated it? *paranoia kicking in*

Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 PM

today was the first fire up after putting everything back together and she started up but i got a few codes that popped up but that will be a another thread. but if anyone has questions about this ill be more than happy to help and answer the questions that i do know. ill be posting a new thread for the codes im throwing now and a expansion tank leak under the bumper. thank you all who helped along the way! im so glad the gaskets are safe. but do be aware dont go above 230f max is 245f! i start freaking out at 210 now! loll she ran for 30 minutes around 195-203f! i replaced hoses, vac hoses, thermostat, water pump, S/C fluid.

before starting her up since she was sitting for two months, so i put a little oil in the spark plug holes before the initial start up, and did a hard reset (with battery) before firing her up.

Last edited by Gopi Hira; 05-25-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:47 AM

good luck with yours sir...what caused the gasket to fail? overheated it? *paranoia kicking in*
Gaskets on these early ones seem to fall as the coolant rots out the composite material, then compression pressure gets into coolant and forces the fire ring out of round. I have parts now, using the improved 4.2 gaskets, new head bolts, timing chains etc.
Have photos and will post a write up this weekend.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by dsetter
Gaskets on these early ones seem to fall as the coolant rots out the composite material, then compression pressure gets into coolant and forces the fire ring out of round. I have parts now, using the improved 4.2 gaskets, new head bolts, timing chains etc.
Have photos and will post a write up this weekend.
oh understood sir. thank you. also dsetter quick question...remember on the elbow of the s/c there was the brake line that connects to it...i did not have the correct washer/gasket thing you stated...instead i got liquid rubber that hardens into rubber kinda??? loll but anyways did your car throw any CELs or codes when yous disintegrated? i kinda regret not ordering the correct gasket for it :/ because now im wondering if i sealed it correctly...any way of checking it from the master brake cylinder? or a process to see if its working correctly?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 AM

oh understood sir. thank you. also dsetter quick question...remember on the elbow of the s/c there was the brake line that connects to it...i did not have the correct washer/gasket thing you stated...instead i got liquid rubber that hardens into rubber kinda??? loll but anyways did your car throw any CELs or codes when yous disintegrated? i kinda regret not ordering the correct gasket for it :/ because now im wondering if i sealed it correctly...any way of checking it from the master brake cylinder? or a process to see if its working correctly?
Can't really check seal except for the effect if it leaks. A bad seal will cause lean codes or high fuel trims. You can monitor trims while engine is running and spray some propane gas in around the area which will cause them to quickly change. Or smoke test it.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Very informative. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope your Jag is running much better ☺