XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Got the dipstick... the ATF...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 01:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got the dipstick... the ATF...

... tried saving the threads that talked me through what temp to bring the Jag up to when adding ATF, but of course can't find them (Sorry folks - veteran here with 2 TBI's and BAD memory). So I have a 1999 XJR Supercharged that didn't want to shift out of first gear the other day. We parked it and began our research. I just don't have the $$ to buy an awesome scanner tool that tells me when it is the correct temp. But I did order a Benz dipstick that should literally be getting here any moment. Can I just pull it out into my flat driveway, idle it until it is at normal operating temp (it has never overheated), and check level with the new dipstick and slowly ad ATF accordingly... or is my ignorance really rearing its ugly head? I read a thread where a guy used a laser thermometer on the tranny pan to check temp. Thought that was a pretty affordable option, but can't remember where I read that or what the overall opinion was. In all, I bought this car for my wife because she loves it and yes - got way in over my head. The head gaskets blew within 2 weeks, then 1500 miles after engine swap - radiator blew and had to replace a bunch of hoses the previous mechanic (who replaced the blown engine) routed incorrectly. Anyway, I survive on my pension and this car has stretched that pretty thin. My wife is a champ... and not complaining. I feel like a dufus (my first lemon EVER!) - and I really had NO IDEA what I was getting into with this car. I probably should sell it, but obviously would lose a lot of $$. So... on a budget, any suggestions on how I can get the transmission ATF to the appropriate level so my wife can hopefully FINALLY enjoy some drive time?

Old 07-30-2021, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 855 Posts

start the car put the dipstick tool in and add to the cold line

drive around check again and add to slightly below the hot line.

no need for a thermometer it will struggle to reach 80c

Old 07-30-2021, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

This is an extract from the Jag Manual:

Inserting the dipstick correctly (until its tip hits the bottom of the gearbox pan) can be a bit tricky because the tube is rather narrow and has a few bends. You may encounter resistance at some points (bends) where you have to pull the dipstick back a bit and push-in again and/or twist it until you pass the resistance. In my case, the difficult one was the last resistance to overcome just a couple of inches before the dipstick tip hit the bottom of the pan. My engine is also a 1999 Supercharged (Daimler Super V8) and, when the dipstick was fully in (hit the pan), I made a mark on it corresponding to the top of the dipstick tube. This mark is at 704 mm from the tip of the dipstick so you may wish to mark your dipstick at this point to give you an indication as to whether it is fully in or not.

The following users liked this post:
ericjansen (07-31-2021)