XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Got the new (old) XJR home!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Got the new (old) XJR home!

Well...got the new (to me) '98 XJR home. OK....

1. Ride is a lot firmer than my '00 XJ8. To be expected; this is a sportier version of the car. Thinking I'll get used to it...it's the same, but different, right?

2. Power. Nice. Can't really hear the supercharger whine (darn), but, you do know it is there when you press the loud pedal to accelerate. A bit more sprightly than the XJ8, but it's still familiar (at least 99% of the controls are...the radio buttons are a bit different, that's all.

3. Still darn quiet. Even for a performance car.

4. Car has heavy tinted side and rear windows. Not sure I like that, so, removed the film from the driver door to see what sort of job it will be. There was some sort of glue residue left...so, a rag, lacquer thinner, and single edge razor took care of that. Thinking the rear is tinted, also...but not sure about how I'm going to address that, since I don't want to damage the heat elements or antenna. Thinking that one through first.

5. Seat leather is in reasonable condition, but, the driver seat could still use refinishing, so, called leatherique and ordered the seat dye (code AGD).

6. The display at the bottom of the speedo is beginning to delaminate, obscuring about 1/3 of the display. Wondering if the display (just the display...the rest of the gauges work ok...) can be changed out. I like the clean speedo graphics and thinking that changing it out for a standard XJ8 wouldn't be proper...

7. Front shock mounts are starting to crumble...but I notice that the sheet metal of the mount is different than a standard XJ8. Anyone have any insight into that? I have a pair of XJ8 mounts...would seem that the XJR for '98 was different.

8. Stopped by my wrench and put on the lift real quick. No leaks apparent, shot some grease into the hooke joints on the rear axle, I have about 1/2 the brake pads left. So, good for now there. But, the two pulleys that should have been changed out for metal are still the original plastic; that's scheduled for change next month along with:

pulling a valve cover and seeing if the chains were done. If not...then they will be.

9. Removed the phone base from the center console. No one I know has an analog motorola flip phone anymore, so there is no need to have it in there, right?

10. Console armrest is torn and missing spots. If anyone has an armrest of AGD code interior in good shape (not necessary to send the cup holder; the one in the car is brand new, so I'll just swap over...) I'd be interested in doing a deal for one ($670 list price from JLR? Nah..). Either that, or I'll just disassemble and bring to the local upholstery shop and have a new cover made

11. the rubber sealing strip between the scuttle trim and the windshield seems to be coming loose in places. Means removing the wiper arm, disconnecting the washer hose carefully from the nipple poking through the plastic trim, and seeing what that's about. On the list of things to do, I guess.

12. Roof and bootlid need painting. That's what you get for sitting in the CA sun in the summer. No problem, my body guy said to bring in when spring arrives, he'll sand down, reprime, and reshoot/clear coat both, and buff out the rest of the body (which is surprisingly in good condition...being from the west coast, right?).

Vacuumed out the carpets (headliner was replaced last year, wheels straightened this summer past), shampoo'd the floor mats and they're drying out in the basement, and going for a ride.

Will try and shoot some photos...oh, yeah, has new shoes on all 4 rims. That, alone, is worth something.

I'm sure I'll have some questions re the XJR, but, for now...time to turn some fossil fuel into fun.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Can't remember offhand if the 98 XJRs had the CATS suspension or not, my brain is telling me it might not, but I can't remember. If so, the shock rod diameter is slightly different which would need different mounts, or at least retrofitting the correct bushings and sleeve into the existing mounts, but the new ones are cheap enough. Again, assuming that much.

Otherwise though, sounds like a good find, hope you enjoy it greatly!

Old 12-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Godspeed !

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (12-17-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Congrats on the new baby!
Keeps us updated, it is always nice to see the progress by a man who knows what he is doing.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,034 Likes on 814 Posts

Is it me or does it seem like there's a newly found supply of 98' XJR's? They're just coming out of the woodwork.

Btw, the 98' XJR's had CATS suspension. When my car still belonged to the previous owner, I removed the CATS shocks, ECU and sensors. Fitted standard Bilsteins instead and replaced all the upper shock mounts on front and rear.

As far as the lack of supercharger whine is concerned... I have to turn on sport mode to really get the car moving. Have you done this yet?

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 12-16-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

how much did you buy the XJR for?

Old 12-16-2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Is it me or does it seem like there's a newly found supply of 98' XJR's? They're just coming out of the woodwork.

Btw, the 98' XJR's had CATS suspension. When my car still belonged to the previous owner, I removed the CATS shocks, ECU and sensors. Fitted standard Bilsteins instead and replaced all the upper shock mounts on front and rear.
Didn't see any wires going to the shocks, and looking at the Monroney (window) sticker (yes, I have the original window sticker and a thick binder of receipts going back to '98 including the original sales order...) it's not listed as an option. So, thinking I have the sport suspension, stiffer springs, low profile tires.

As far as the lack of supercharger whine is concerned... I have to turn on sport mode to really get the car moving. Have you done this yet?
Yes. Big grin. I did notice, though, that engaging (or trying to...) the cruise control, the engine went into failsafe. Talked to my wrench...said the plug in the engine compartment was probably not upgraded to the gold pins that was a free retrofit on customer complaint since the corrosion in the plug can either not engage the cruise, or not receive the proper feedback signals...so it thinks something went south and goes into failsafe.. No codes thrown, no untoward noises, car was still running at full tilt boogie (ok, just a touch over the limit...yeah, that's my story...), turned off the cruise, pulled over, cycled the engine, and the notice cleared with no further indication, so he's thinking that's what it must be...will take a look when the weather warms up to something that doesn't cause frostbite.

It does take off from the line in sport mode. Doesn't do badly in normal mode, if I'm honest. It needs some valeting and cleaning up (like the paint on the supercharger charge cooler boxes is flaking off...can't have that, you know), aforementioned paint, some interior work (thankfully the carpets are just beautiful...but there is a little warpage of the dash pad at the base of the windshield: it is a 19 model year old car. 6 year old XFs are suffering from the leather bubbling on the dash, so...not a bad thing. Adds patina, LOL.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Congrats on the new baby!
Keeps us updated, it is always nice to see the progress by a man who knows what he is doing.
Don't know about that, eric...

LOL. Be assured, I'll keep the collective up to date. I do know that one of the two will have to go, though. Having 3 Jags in the driveway is causing the neighbors to wonder what I do for a living...especially since the new one has blacked out windows... Ah, the advantages of working from home for Big Blue.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by omgimali
how much did you buy the XJR for?
If I told you, you'd not believe it, so suffice it to say, it was worth every dollar.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Yes. Big grin. I did notice, though, that engaging (or trying to...) the cruise control, the engine went into failsafe. Talked to my wrench...said the plug in the engine compartment was probably not upgraded to the gold pins that was a free retrofit on customer complaint since the corrosion in the plug can either not engage the cruise, or not receive the proper feedback signals...so it thinks something went south and goes into failsafe.. No codes thrown, no untoward noises, car was still running at full tilt boogie (ok, just a touch over the limit...yeah, that's my story...), turned off the cruise, pulled over, cycled the engine, and the notice cleared with no further indication, so he's thinking that's what it must be...will take a look when the weather warms up to something that doesn't cause frostbite.
There were issues with the TPS throttlebody pins yes. There are other possibilities as well. I would advise not to deal with anything on the throttle body until absolutely necessary. Where your brake master cylinder is, there are 3 vacuum switching valves that's part of the cruise control. Also, underneighth the air filter box area is a vacuum reservoir for cruise control. If there's any vacuum lines disconnected or chewed thru by rodents. The actual cruise control switch could also be an issue.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 PM

There were issues with the TPS throttlebody pins yes. There are other possibilities as well. I would advise not to deal with anything on the throttle body until absolutely necessary. Where your brake master cylinder is, there are 3 vacuum switching valves that's part of the cruise control. Also, underneighth the air filter box area is a vacuum reservoir for cruise control. If there's any vacuum lines disconnected or chewed thru by rodents. The actual cruise control switch could also be an issue.
Good points; nice thing is that this is the older throttle body...not the one out of solid gold (at least that is what it seems for the price), so, I'll track the vacuum issues first. Looks like there may be a loose connector in the J-gate assembly; various lights (like D, and the light on the cruise button; the back lighting for the gate is out entirely...) seem to turn on and off at will. That may be the first thing to check...

But, definitely the vacuum hoses. One never knows...sometimes Occam's Razor is the best answer to a problem...

Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bdboyle
If I told you, you'd not believe it, so suffice it to say, it was worth every dollar.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:31 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=Addicted2boost;1586817]Is it me or does it seem like there's a newly found supply of 98' XJR's? They're just coming out of the woodwork./QUOTE]

I just bought my 98 this past tues!!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

We need to have a 98' XJR registry.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:51 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Wrong, on NAS cars, and for sure US spec's, CATS was only for 2002 AND 2003 XJR

Last edited by luc; 12-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

What was the name for them on the 98'-01' cars then?

Old 12-17-2016, 10:12 AM
luc

What was the name for them on the 98'-01' cars then?
Adaptive suspension ( CATS) was not fitted to XJR prior to 2002. I know, i bought my 01 XJR brand new
Do a google or forum search. Its a pretty well known fact. So, that beg the question: How can you remove something from your 98 that is not supposed to be there??????????

Last edited by luc; 12-17-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

I ran my vin at the Jaguar Las Vegas website and looked up front shocks on it. They list the front shocks as adaptive dampening $354 each for a 1998 XJR.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:32 PM
luc

I ran my vin at the Jaguar Las Vegas website and looked up front shocks on it. They list the front shocks as adaptive dampening $354 each for a 1998 XJR.
That only prove that they are wrong
Every part catalog will list adaptive and non adaptive because ROW did have the CATS. NAS did not
BTW, surprised that you could input you vin, the site refused mine but they do show adaptive and without for my XJR which is 100% BS

This subject had been beaten to death, no CATS on NAS t'il MY 2002 and 2003

Old 12-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Always wanted to use that one...

Anyway, take a picture of your shock mounts, post up here, and it'll be immediately obvious if they are different than other MY XJ mounting plates (they shouldn't be?), or if the PO did something strange.