XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

GPS Antenna Placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 02:22 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts
Default GPS Antenna Placement

I'm thinking about upgrading the Alpine head unit that I installed in my '98 XJR several years ago. The one I'm looking at has a GPS antenna that supposedly allows it to set the clock automatically. Google seems to think you can just coil up the wire and place the GPS antenna right on top of the head unit, and install the head unit in the dash.

My question is, have any of you done this (doesn't have to be Alpine), and did the antenna receive adequate signal when placed there? I would entertain ideas about where else to DISCREETLY place the antenna, but I'm specifically interested to hear from those who have placed it under/in the dash.

Here is a picture of the setup I have, from a few years ago. The new head unit would look very similar. The splash screen is customizable, which I really like.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,704 Likes on 871 Posts

^
Nice floor mats aquifer…

Old 01-27-2023, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Cantor
^
Nice floor mats aquifer…
Thank you. They were custom mats (I don't remember the company right now). I had them sew the leaper pointing "in" on the driver's side because I thought it looked better. I've since replaced these mats because the vinyl bound edges began to crack and look a little tacky. They need to have a cloth bound edging like the originals, but they were vinyl and eventually started to look a little too "cheap" for the car. They were good quality otherwise, and I still haven them, thinking that someday I might see if I can have the edges somehow changed to a cloth binding.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aquifer
Thank you. They were custom mats (I don't remember the company right now). I had them sew the leaper pointing "in" on the driver's side because I thought it looked better. I've since replaced these mats because the vinyl bound edges began to crack and look a little tacky. They need to have a cloth bound edging like the originals, but they were vinyl and eventually started to look a little too "cheap" for the car. They were good quality otherwise, and I still haven them, thinking that someday I might see if I can have the edges somehow changed to a cloth binding.
Any decent carpet shop should be able to tell you where you can get binding done if they don't do it "in-house" - just make sure you tell them you want a "serge binding". It's not done that often for residential applications (other than stair runners and you don't see much of them anymore) so you might need to find one that does commercial work where it's still relatively common for lobby and elevator in-lays etc. If I had to guess not knowing where you are etc., I'd guess you're looking at something in the range of $6-8 per lineal foot but as the mats are small and easy to handle it might well be less.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2023, 04:21 PM

Any decent carpet shop should be able to tell you where you can get binding done if they don't do it "in-house" - just make sure you tell them you want a "serge binding". It's not done that often for residential applications (other than stair runners and you don't see much of them anymore) so you might need to find one that does commercial work where it's still relatively common for lobby and elevator in-lays etc. If I had to guess not knowing where you are etc., I'd guess you're looking at something in the range of $6-8 per lineal foot but as the mats are small and easy to handle it might well be less.

Good luck!
I appreciate the info, thank you. Your 01 XJR is a beautiful car, by the way. I remember seeing a post from you a while back with pictures - maybe just after you bought it. Stunning car! I believe the X308's were the nicest looking cars ever put on the road, and when they're in that condition, it's almost jaw-dropping!

Old 01-27-2023, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aquifer
I appreciate the info, thank you. Your 01 XJR is a beautiful car, by the way. I remember seeing a post from you a while back with pictures - maybe just after you bought it. Stunning car! I believe the X308's were the nicest looking cars ever put on the road, and when they're in that condition, it's almost jaw-dropping!
Thank you, although most of the credit for how she looks should go to Sov211 who offered to sell her to me (and who probably only regrets it when he sees those posts with pictures or descriptions of the weather she is now subjected to, without complaint on her part I might add). For the most part I try and limit the photographs to my own thread ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ispreloading=1 ) but sometimes there are some pictures that - at least in my humble opinion - are appropriate in the odd other thread as well. As for your "almost jaw-dropping", you will get no disagreement from me, except perhaps for the "almost"...

Attached Thumbnails GPS Antenna Placement-july-2022-leaper.jpg  
Old 01-28-2023, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,285 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Thank you, although most of the credit for how she looks should go to Sov211 who offered to sell her to me (and who probably only regrets it when he sees those posts with pictures or descriptions of the weather she is now subjected to, without complaint on her part I might add). For the most part I try and limit the photographs to my own thread ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ispreloading=1 ) but sometimes there are some pictures that - at least in my humble opinion - are appropriate in the odd other thread as well. As for your "almost jaw-dropping", you will get no disagreement from me, except perhaps for the "almost"...

Yes, Sov211 does regret giving in to Ken’s Jaguar obsession, especially when Ken insists on posting photos of that gorgeous beast being used in the snows of Edmonton. If he keeps this up he might not be in line for any more Jags from me.😉

The following users liked this post:
Ken Cantor (01-28-2023)