XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

grade of gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Eastern Canada has had E10 since at least the early 90s when I first remember using it. It was called Gasohol at the time.

Aside from motorheads, most drivers had never thought twice about not using it. Problems? Failures? Complaints? Unheard of.

Then the media got hold of it........................

Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Eastern Canada has had E10 since at least the early 90s when I first remember using it. It was called Gasohol at the time.

Aside from motorheads, most drivers had never thought twice about not using it. Problems? Failures? Complaints? Unheard of.

Yup.

BTW, the owners handbook of my (just recently acquired) 1988 Ser III VDP V12 says E10 is OK to use.

Then the media got hold of it........................

Political opinionators, specifically . That pretty much ended any hope of sensible discussion.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

@ Sparkenzap

Because the reduction in seal life is small, and well outside their expected warranty period. The reduction in life is something on the order of 3-5% for most vehicles (at least most of the engines I was performing research on in college). When fuel system seals are expected to go more than 150,000 miles, that's a negligible reduction, and well outside of the time period for which jaguar has to care, so they say it's fine, and it is. And the problem with ethanol has never been it making the seals soft, it's always been that it makes the seals too hard, and they pull back from their mating surfaces and leak or crack out and leak.

@ MrFeathers

I don't believe that for a second. An engine not designed to run on E85 will not live for long being run on it. The tuning required for E85 is COMPLETELY different. The stoiciometric ratio is massively different (on the order of 40%), and you have to add a LOT more E85 relative to gasoline for proper combustion. If an engine tuned to run on gasoline is fed E85, especially a mid 90's engine that has essentially NO ability to compensate, it will run very lean very quickly and it WILL be damaged in short order. The only plasible explanation for that situation, if true, is that some GM engines in the 90's were flex-fuel capable but weren't touted as such beyond a small note in the owners manual.

Living in Missouri, my experience in this state and those surrounding. But as little as 10 years ago, in the middle of the cornbelt, E10 was very rare. Basically everything was E0 rated (which was really more like E3-E5). I can't speak to any other region, but E10 only became commonplace in my area about 10-12 years ago.

Again, most cars will run just fine on E10. You will see a small performance and effeciency reduction, and you will see a tiny amount more wear to your fuel system. But both are generally negligible, and offset by the lower cost of E10 (which is all due to subsidies artificially reducing the price of ethanol, but that's another discussion).

In summary, your Jag will run A-OK on E10, you will just see a small reduction in economy and power, and your fuel system seals will fail a small amount more quickly when your car has 150k on it and needs more extensive fuel system work anyway for other reasons.

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Capezagrande:
I appreciate your thoughtful and informative posts, and I agree for the most part. And I have no data to dispute your claim that the seals will harden with ethanol- my data supports it, BUT, earlier in this thread, the premise was that ethanol TURNS SEALS TO MUSH.

Mush does not equal rock hard. So, that points to the very essence of my doubts about all of this ethanol debate. First it does this, then it does that, then you add 2 stroke oil to it and all is well and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo!

Last edited by sparkenzap; 09-17-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 AM

By the phrase "turn to mush" earlier, I meant drying up to the point of powdering, at which point you get a mushy slurry of fuel and powdered seal coming out of the joint that's leaking (which I've only seen on cars and bikes from the 70's).

Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cabezagrande
I don't believe that for a second. An engine not designed to run on E85 will not live for long being run on it.
There's plenty of examples around proving that it has been done successfully, although it's a dumb idea. I think you've spent too much time theorizing and not enough time observing real life.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The only plasible explanation for that situation, if true, is that some GM engines in the 90's were flex-fuel capable but weren't touted as such beyond a small note in the owners manual.
That might be the reason. If so, GM was smart to start early and work the bugs out. The sooner we can wean this country off foreign oil, then better!

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

There's plenty of examples around proving that it has been done successfully, although it's a dumb idea. I think you've spent too much time theorizing and not enough time observing real life.
One of my favorite quotations, which is applicable here and in many other situations, is:

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice there is.

This is all the more true when there are many variables involved and where interactions of one or more variables with others can effectively cancel each other out or potentially magnify effects in unexpected ways.

Nothing replaces field testing. One absolutely has to allow observed data to "ruin a perfectly good theory."

Brian

Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM

Can any car use E85?

I assume this is the video that was earlier referenced? The article continues where they talk about "DO NOT TRY THIS, you could severely damage your engine", because most non-FFV engines can't fully compensate for the additional ethanol content. Most engines do not have the amount of adjustability required to compensate for the heavily increased fuel requirement of E85. Most standard gas engines operate at about an 11-13 air-fuel ratio at WOT, as gas has a stoichiometric ratio of around 14.7, and they run slightly rich for safety margin and good flame nucleation around the spark plug. E85 has a stoich ratio around 9.5. This means you have to run about 35-40% more fuel with E85 per volume of air as you would in a normal gasoline engine. But if you run E85 in a standard engine, it's still metering the same amount of fuel per volume (or mass, depending on system type) of air as it was with gasoline. This means that on E85 it is running VERY, VERY lean. Which means that it is going to ping and detonate itself to death in short order. This is partially countered by the high octane rating of E85 (106-113 depending on which E85 and which rating system) and by some engines having a low static compression ratio, making them less prone to detonation. This is why some non-FFV engines can run on E85, if badly. Their compression ratio is low enough and there's enough headroom in the cam timing and injector overrun that it isn't immediately pinging itself to death. But it's going to run like crap and it is doing damage, even if it isn't immediately catastrophic, and most engines don't have this kind of leeway. Most engines that have a higher static compression ratio and limited cam phasing will be destroyed in short order.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM

I believe the video referenced is probably this one on YouTube:

(this is the same video indirectly referenced in the blog link posted by Cabezagrande)

Since this research (and it's a single case study, at least in the form presented) was sponsored by a group with an agenda, the results deserve to be reviewed with a great deal of skepticism. That being said, the vehicle in question was from model year 2000 and had a computer controlled engine. This allows it to make all sorts of compensations that pre-ECU era cars simply cannot make.

Honestly, I don't think that I nor any other of the ethanol-agnostic to ethanol-OK posters are suggesting that using E85 in a vehicle not designed for it is a good idea. It does appear, though, that "engines with brains" can make some pretty remarkable adjustments on-the-fly that allow them to tolerate what earlier technology would almost certainly find intolerable.

I certainly wouldn't use E85 in any of my vehicles not designed with that fuel in mind. I have no compunction about using E10 in any of my vehicles since that's what they've all been running on, all for at least a decade and some for over 30 years, and they're doing fine. It's not even like I have a choice as E0 is virtually unavailable where I live and priced *way* above E0 in those few places that claim to have it.

Brian

Last edited by guyslp; 09-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

@ Sparkenzap

The reduction in life is something on the order of 3-5% for most vehicles

3%-5% ? Really? That's the number?

Ha! Why-o-why are we even talking about this then? There are probably several variables that result in a puny 3%-5% variance in seal life.

Oy vey

Cheers
DD

guyslp (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
3%-5% ? Really? That's the number?

Ha! Why-o-why are we even talking about this then? There are probably several variables that result in a puny 3%-5% variance in seal life.

Oy vey

Cheers
DD
Which is precisely the point that many who understand probability and statistics have been making for years.

The number and types of "failures" or variance is well within that which can be accounted for by a very wide range of factors. The number of unaffected vehicles of the same type and eras of construction is astronomical in comparison.

It gives me hope when others point out this obvious truth. Thank you Mr. Dwyer!

Brian

Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 PM

This is partially countered by the high octane rating of E85 (106-113 depending on which E85 and which rating system)
You really need to quit while you're behind. E85 sold in North America is between 94-94 AKI.

The oft quoted 106-113 was incorrectly derived by mathematical calculation and not by actual testing.

Theory vs. practice again.........................

Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default laws

Originally Posted by XJRChad
I work in the aftermarket auto parts industry, and I can say, without a doubt, that ethanol is a problem. I've seen it.

Also, percentages of ethanol do vary by region and/or particular station. There are very few gas stations here in Michigan that offer ethanol-free gas.

And, sadly, I've heard rumors that it is not uncommon for gas rated E10 to be closer to 15% ethanol. Can anyone confirm this?

In 75 Nixon added 10% to the gas. In the mid 60s it was 5% . Prior to 75 you could buy 95-M at all Stations. By now and by law it should be at 35% E. We started to replace rubber in the 60s. E was to be used to as a gasoline stretcher because it was cheaper then (OPEC gas embargo). The reason it is not at 35% is that there is not enough tillable land to grow corn in the world to even do 25% in all fuel. Tanks can burn any fuel because the have a manual spark retard on the dashboard labeled kerosene, gas, perfume and Jim Beam. The rest is history. In the 60s Indy was running 100% E thus chrome pistons rings and sleeves because of the heat.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 AM

Never mind man, I quit. Run your Jag on E85 and I'll laugh as you knock yourself to death.

Last edited by Cabezagrande; 09-18-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM

Never mind man, I quit. Run your Jag on E85 and I'll laugh as you knock yourself to death.
Nobody is suggesting that all cars can be fueled with E85 without modification or that it's a good idea.

Making a broad statement that includes absolutes like 'always' or 'never' just invites conflict.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Differing opinions on ethanol aside, I still wouldn't feel comfortable putting regular grade in a car that calls for premium. It may or may not hurt a Jag, but I know that the supercharged 92 Olds Ninety-Eight that I used to own would knock like crazy if I put anything but premium in it.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Making a broad statement that includes absolutes like 'always' or 'never' just invites conflict.

The two most problematic words in the English language.

No doubt equally as problematic in French or German as well

Cheers
DD

XJRChad (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by XJRChad
Differing opinions on ethanol aside, I still wouldn't feel comfortable putting regular grade in a car that calls for premium. It may or may not hurt a Jag, but I know that the supercharged 92 Olds Ninety-Eight that I used to own would knock like crazy if I put anything but premium in it.
And I agree that caution is necessary.

My use of regular instead of premium began entirely by accident. I was on a road trip to my boyhood home for some parental crisis or another and filled up on regular with an empty tank. I realized my error as I went to hang up the pump, but by then it was too late to do anything about it.

Since the only thing higher octane gasoline is supposed to do is to prevent pre-ignition in higher compression ratio engines I thought I'd simply monitor what I was hearing along with whatever the OBD ECU might detect as far as undesirable knocking/pinging. I had none and never have in the several years since.

This is true for many cars that call for premium, and even some that call for regular, but not all. I would never intentionally pump in a full tank of regular for testing. If you want to see what your car does, though, try about 1/4 tank of regular once you've driven down to empty on premium. If you are going to get knocking/pinging you will get it right away (this presumes you're driving "normally" for you). If you get this, then fill up the tank with premium and it's highly unlikely to continue. If you don't, then you have your answer for the vehicle in question.

This is not a "one size fits all" situation. A single-sample case study is called for to make a determination for each car.

Brian, who has yet to own a car that knocks/pings on regular but who knows people who do

XJRChad (09-19-2013)