XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Guidance with regards to a suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Guidance with regards to a suspension issue

Looking for some guidance to address the vibration felt heavily over bumps on my XJR from the front suspension. Over the last couple of months since acquiring the vehicle, I have changed the lower control arm bushings, ball joints. The pre-purchase inspection at the dealership pointed out faulty shock absorbers, so had my mechanic replace all 4. I was still encountering the vibration, so took it back to the mechanic and had the sway bar links replaced. The sway bar bushings are the remainder of bushings are all in good order.

Changing the sway bar links definitely made the vehicle ride better, but still over bumps on the road I can feel the vibration and rattle. Took the car to a different mechanic this morning, and he is stating that although the shocks are new the front shocks are missing a bushing causing the vibration. I am attaching a few pictures of the set-up to get some guidance if this is indeed the case. One of the top shock bushing also appears off center. In the rear, I can see a big lower bushing with the same brand new shocks, but not so in the front as depicted in the picture.

Can someone familiar with this suspension set up please point out if there is an issue with how the front shocks have been installed? The gent who installed them is a vey honest guy so will make it right, I just need to know if this is the issue causing the front end vibration.

Attached Thumbnails Guidance with regards to a suspension issue-1.jpg   Guidance with regards to a suspension issue-2.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

From your photos the "gaiter" boot (parts #9 and 10)are missing which keeps dirt off of the shock piston and also has a foam upper stop so the shock tube does not hit the body. See attached diagram. It is surprising that these were left off when the shocks were replaced

The shock in the photo looks like an after market shock. Make sure the diameter of the piston rod fits tightly inside the sleeve of the upper shock bushing. You can check this and the upper bushings by loosening the top nut on the shock and raising the car slightly. Leave some free play between the nut and top of the shock bushing and try to wiggle the shock piston. If it moves around at all that is likely the source of the noise

Separately, the upper shock bushing in the shock tower can be replaced without buying the entire metal tower from Jaguar (crazy money). Several vendors on this site offer the bushing and they are easily pressed in.

Attached Thumbnails Guidance with regards to a suspension issue-xj8-suspension.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by rocklandjag:
Don B (10-14-2014), XJRay (10-14-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 02:40 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Britrover
Looking for some guidance to address the vibration felt heavily over bumps on my XJR from the front suspension. Over the last couple of months since acquiring the vehicle, I have changed the lower control arm bushings, ball joints. The pre-purchase inspection at the dealership pointed out faulty shock absorbers, so had my mechanic replace all 4. I was still encountering the vibration, so took it back to the mechanic and had the sway bar links replaced. The sway bar bushings are the remainder of bushings are all in good order.

Changing the sway bar links definitely made the vehicle ride better, but still over bumps on the road I can feel the vibration and rattle. Took the car to a different mechanic this morning, and he is stating that although the shocks are new the front shocks are missing a bushing causing the vibration. I am attaching a few pictures of the set-up to get some guidance if this is indeed the case. One of the top shock bushing also appears off center. In the rear, I can see a big lower bushing with the same brand new shocks, but not so in the front as depicted in the picture.

Can someone familiar with this suspension set up please point out if there is an issue with how the front shocks have been installed? The gent who installed them is a vey honest guy so will make it right, I just need to know if this is the issue causing the front end vibration.
Your second mechanic is right. From the picture there are 2 things missing.
one is a rubber dust boot/gaiter ( part # MND2148AB) and the other one is a very thick bushing that goes between the shock and the receiving cup on the car frame.
This bushing is called a "spring assist" and is shaped to locate the shock shaft centered in the receiving cup. Part # MND2150AB

Maybe your first mechanic is very honest but frankly, for a mechanic to mount a shock with direct metal-to-metal contact is pretty amazing and scary

The following 2 users liked this post by luc:
Don B (10-14-2014), XJRay (10-14-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 03:23 PM

I sincerely appreciate the input. Needles to say, I am quite disappointed at the lack of attention to detail. I will be following up with him on Monday to get this sorted.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM

Clarifying question – Did the 00-03 Jag XJR come with a sport suspension? Asking this as my mechanic will be fixing the issue at hand and might need to order new shocks. If he does, I would prefer getting the sport shocks (Bilstein?) and would assume the diagram and parts would remain the same and #9 and #100 will still get added.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Yes the XJR's have the sport suspension and the sport Bilsteins are the best shock to use. The parts #9 and 10 will still need to be added