XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Hagerty insurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts
Default Hagerty insurance

Just wondered how many of you use Hagerty for your insurance?

The insurance was due on my 2001 VDP and, as usual, the premium had gone up a few dollars, and due to my complaining my insurance agent suggested we try Hagerty Classic Car insurance and see what the rates would be. I was paying $407 per year for simple collision with a $500 deductible, with Hagerty it is now $365 per year full comprehensive coverage with zero deductible!

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 08-20-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I have Hagerty for both of my cars.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:39 PM
Received 8,307 Likes on 5,013 Posts

CANNOT be a daily driver and there are storage requirements!!

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Cl...200820153743:s

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-01-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
CANNOT be a daily driver and there are storage requirements!!
True, I have a garage, and another vehicle as a "daily driver".

Old 08-20-2020, 08:58 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have never understood these conditions. Maybe I’m becoming more sceptical.
So, if I am out in the daily driver and a family member takes the classic out, am I covered?
I have not subscribed to Haggerty and don’t need to.

Regular-use vehicles

• All household members with a valid driver’s license must have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving (Motorcycles and public transportation are not considered viable regular-use vehicles by our program in most cases. Contact us for details.)
  • Applicants must also maintain regular-use insurance in their own names

Old 08-20-2020, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR-100

I have never understood these conditions. Maybe I’m becoming more skeptical.
So, if I am out in the daily driver and a family member takes the classic out, am I covered?

Hmm, you would be covered while driving the daily driver by the daily driver insurance.

The person driving the "classic" would, I assume, be covered if they were a named driver of the "daily driver" policy.

If they also had their own "personal" "daily driver" which was presumably insured, then I would also assume they would be insured while driving the Classic, assuming they were a named driver on the Classic insurance policy!!!! LOL!

Damn I hate insurance, and don't think it should be mandatory.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Damn I hate insurance, and don't think it should be mandatory.
What it needs to be is you should have to buy "liability" coverage on yourself and not on the car. That way whoever is driving is responsible for whatever damage they cause regardless of what vehicle they are in. Then you should have the option to buy "comprehensive" and "uninsured motorist" coverage on each vehicle to cover damage to your own property. Essentially they've got it set up so that those of us with multiple cars (classic or otherwise) are paying the liability for the 25 to 35% of the people who are driving without insurance because we're paying liability on cars that don't even move 350 days out of the year. I'll get off my soap box now....

Old 08-21-2020, 09:29 AM
Received 8,307 Likes on 5,013 Posts

Thanks pdupler.

I have always thought that when you get a driver's license, you should have liability insurance if you drive. (liability should follow the driver!)

The insurance lobbyists do NOT want this. They can make more money if EACH car is insured!!(even just liability)

The car should be insured for damage if you want it or required by the lien holder.

I'll get off mine now also.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Absolutely! The insurance companies have a scam going with having to insure individual vehicles, after all, we can't drive more than one vehicle at a time.

My wife and I insure 5 individual vehicles, neither of us have had an accident or made an insurance claim in a total of 111 years, and yet our premium goes up each year. Insurance is a con, mandatory insurance is an even bigger con...........just ask any insurance company lobbyist!

Old 08-21-2020, 01:55 PM
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out Grundy Worldwide. I’ve found their rates to be lower, and customer service has been very good. I got a crack in the XJR’s windscreen last year and had no issues with replacement.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

You have to insure the car -- there is no other way .... that way any driver of the car has coverage.

It's also important to understand the different states -- no fault and fault. In a no fault state the insurance is for medical (no fault is for YOU, not the car). I specifically insure my cars in PA because I can buy stacked no-fault 800k ... I'm also in NJ and NYC .... but, the no fault is limited in those states (it's only 250k in NJ) .

Most people worry about the vehicle -- the vehicle is the least worry when you have major accident and injury. You have to have uninsured and underinsured as well -- this is again all about YOU .. not the car. Some states have the non medical in more than one part - UI for property ... get it. They all should match the liability number.

The Hagerty insurance (and all other similar) assumes you have other insurance .... and it can not be a business vehicle. The other insurance is the real coverage ... also understand how this interacts with umbrella policies.

People mix insurance up. Policies have three parts -- the vehicle (comp/collision) -- the medical/PIP and finally the Liability. The Liability is to pay the other guy if you screw up .... but it's also to pay you (under the UI (under/un)) should the other guy not have insurance (or very little) and be "at fault" Even in a no-fault state the pain and suffering and additional monies owed have to come from the "at fault" party.

Too many people run around with 100/300 liability .... that's only 100k per person. 100/300 = 100k per person and 300k total. In some no fault states the medical part is allowed to be very low ... in NJ it's 250k (PIP) and can not be changed .... but in some states like PA you can buy something like 10k. Crazy as they also allow you to buy much more as I do.

Please -- do yourself a favor and don't think you are getting over. When something happens -- you want a good policy. Understand the parts.

Take this example: I was driving my week old SAAB -- kid runs a red light and I T-bone him. Both myself and future spouse had what we thought wERE minor injuries .... the car was totaled. The other driver had 10/20 Liability. I had replacement on the SAAB ...so I ordered another. Had I not that would have been a 5/8k loss at least. More important I actually did have some issues .. had damaged some teeth and my knee hit the dash ... my passenger had later back pain and it caused some real issues for about two months. The medical part of my policy paid for my injury as well as my passenger -- including essential services. I could not walk and my spouse was in bed ... my insurance provided wage for my spouse. Someone came to the house -- it paid a lawn service to cut my grass. Most importantly, I understood that I was entitled to pain and suffering as well as any future cost of my dental and possible hip problems from my knee hitting the dash. At the time it was about 70k ... double that today. Who am I going to get that from? The kid that hit me had 20k (2x10k) and no assets ... my insurance company could have said -- sorry it's gone as the car was over 30k. But I had the UI matching my liability -- so MY policy paid me the 70k under my UI policy.

Not trying to preach -- but, I work in medical trauma and see auto accident victims weekly who did not have enough insurance. Again -- everybody fixates on the car .... like getting a $250 windshield is the primary part of a policy. It's not .... There is nothing wrong with getting collector insurance if it fits into the proper mix. I have a fair amount to loose ..... so I have 1m auto policy liability and an umbrella above. Most of the collector type will not provide the 1M --- even at 500k they start to come close to what a general policy costs. Many mass market insurers will not provide agreed value on old cars --- so this is where the collector can suck you in and cloud some thinking. Spend some time and understand what you have -- more important -- what you don't. In many states -- people have no medical at all .... it falls back on health policies and they don't provide the rehab that most auto victims need. See it all the time and It's not pretty. That 10k med pay is for the other guy BTW.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using Hagerty for about fifteen years and I just can't tell you how happy I've been with them! I just had a small accident with my Jaguar and I wasn't happy at all. I took a few pictures of the damage, got an estimate, called Hagerty and five days later, I received a check. Just that easy. They are great people to talk to and very easy to deal with. Oh and the insurance prices can't be beaten. I don't work for them but I sure tell people about them all the time.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Curley
I've been using Hagerty for about fifteen years and I just can't tell you how happy I've been with them! I just had a small accident with my Jaguar and I wasn't happy at all. I took a few pictures of the damage, got an estimate, called Hagerty and five days later, I received a check. Just that easy. They are great people to talk to and very easy to deal with. Oh and the insurance prices can't be beaten. I don't work for them but I sure tell people about them all the time.
They are great if you understand what you are buying -- it's not primary insurance. You are buying supplemental insurance for a lightly used car -- stored in a way that you agree to. I'm not knocking the insurance -- in fact at some point I will likely move my classic cars to one of them. While I'm working with lots of assets I can't risk taking one out and hurting someone --- I can kill someone with a 60's MB easier than a new one.