XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Hartford CT, MVS/DMV stuck big time!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Hartford CT, MVS/DMV stuck big time!!

Got up at 4:30 in the AM, woke up kids, takoing them to the in laws, fill up the car and drove 3 hrs and 45 mins over 199 miles to pick up the XJR.

Paid for it, then the dealer stated I have to go to DMV to get a out of state temp, I was WHAT THEEEE! you don't have them.

Well OK, where is it, he gave me the direction. I jumped in the car with all the documents, waited for a hour to get to the counter. Get up there handed the paperwork to the clerk, he look through it. I told him I need temp plate/in transit plate, he said where is my insurance, told him it is faxed temp card from my insurance company. He stated he needed from my agency with the state of PA written on it.

I was like huh? the agency is closed and this is from the insurance company itself. It got the year, make, model, Vin #, policy # and my name on their letter head. I was able to get a temp plate in any other state I have purchased cars from with a temp insurance card.

I was like I drove 200 miles and this is all I can come up with, so he said if I can get the declaration page from my insurance, to so the coverage amount, then I be able to get one. Ask, what time to you close, he said 12:30, looked at the clock its 12, Arrrrrgh!! Rush back to the dealer and called my insurance to fax over the declaration page and they did. Rushed back to the DMW and as soon as I walked up the last step, they closed the door and told me I was too late.

I explained AND showed the the lady my jump the line pass, that I was just here; that I had to go and get the declaration page to get a in transit plate, she said sorry and locked the door. I turn around and saw a sign stating "Closed on Mondays. WTF!! closed on Mondays!!!

So, to end this long story, I don't have my XJR and will not be able to go back up there until next Saturday.

THIS SOME BS!! DANG YOU DMV, DANG YOU!!

I was able to take it for another test drive though, which made it even worst to walk away from it.

Thanks, for the shoulder
SGB

Old 05-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bureaucratic roadblocks. FWIW, a great many things in CT seem to be closed on Mondays.

But it could be worse - you could have bought the car in Massachusetts! There are NO temporary tags in Massachusetts. Not no how, not no way. So you would have to have your out of state plates in your hand in Mass., to get in the car and drive away.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Why not register it in your home state this week, take the plates with you to CT and get the car (assuming the seller gave you a signed title).

Also next weekend is a holiday I bet they are not open next Saturday.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pragmatic
Why not register it in your home state this week, take the plates with you to CT and get the car (assuming the seller gave you a signed title).

Also next weekend is a holiday I bet they are not open next Saturday.
Actually that is what I did, called in a favor from a notary in my home state. He pre-register my car and handed me my plates and I was off the CT again.

Since, I already had the second set of keys and the dealer kept the other set, I called him and told him I will pick up the car today. I have my plates and is good to go. He said I will pull the car out the showroom and leave it in the entrance of the parking lot and lock the key in the trunk. Got there put on the plates, filled up the tank and drove home in my XJR.

It was a nice ride, but I do have some issues to talk about in another post.

Thanks,
SGB