XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Has Anyone Succeeded in Removing Foam from the Drivers side Blower Motor??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Myself as well as a number of other people did this blind. No lights, no mirrors and no $6800 endoscopes. Find the post that describes using a coat hanger with a ball of duct tape on the end. It may take a few gosbut it works surprisingly well.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The hanger and tape idea actually works

Originally Posted by restcon
I have a 99 XJ8 with the same problem. As suggested, I went in through the coin try opening with the recirculator door open. I removed the cross members, used an inspection mirror and flashlight to look inside the motor on the passenger's side, but I can only see a small portion of the squirrel cage fan. Most of the fan is blocked by the fan motor. I am wondering if I am going about this incorrectly.
I ultimately fixed mine using the wire hanger and some duct tape. It was a completely blind operation. I just fished the hanger up into the fan and just moved it around a lot. A nice chunk of foam came out. I was amazed. Problem solved.

The following users liked this post:
restcon (10-28-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Success removing the foam!

Thanks so much for the advice. Great forum!

The key for me was to rotate the fan to see the foam. After several off / ons, the foam was visible. I tried the tape approach, but after many failed attempts I went back to the inspection mirror. I tried a flexible claw pick-up tool, but it too difficult to manipulate in the fan. So, I fashioned a hook on the end of a coat hanger, had my wife lay across the console and hold the flashlight while I held the inspection mirror and "fished" away. Eventually, I was able to hook the foam and pull it out. Started the fan and the noise was still there!? I went back fishing and found a second piece of foam, which I was also able to extract. Started the fan and the noise was gone - hurray!

Does anybody know where does the foam comes from? Does this happen to the driver's side fan motor, as well?

Again, thanks to everyone for contributing to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 04:54 AM

The key for me was to rotate the fan to see the foam. After several off / ons, the foam was visible. I tried the tape approach, but after many failed attempts I went back to the inspection mirror. I tried a flexible claw pick-up tool, but it too difficult to manipulate in the fan. So, I fashioned a hook on the end of a coat hanger, had my wife lay across the console and hold the flashlight while I held the inspection mirror and "fished" away. Eventually, I was able to hook the foam and pull it out. Started the fan and the noise was still there!? I went back fishing and found a second piece of foam, which I was also able to extract. Started the fan and the noise was gone - hurray!

Does anybody know where does the foam comes from? Does this happen to the driver's side fan motor, as well?

Congratulations... you are now an official member of the "I Removed That Damned Blower Motor Foam Club" or the IRTDBMFC! Quite an accomplishment, really, when you realize how you do most of the work nearly blind--or partially so--and need to contort your body like Gumby.

Yes... it's on the driver's side too. That's where I fished out my errant foam.

SirJag

Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 78 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi, I think I have just joined the "noisy blower" club on the driver side. I was about to remove all the upper steering column as suggested by JTIS before pulling the blower assembly out when I saw this post.

Wish me good luck, as I will try the mirror/flashlight/coat hanger/duct tape thing.

I was wondering how to find an aperture to the inside of the blower but I thing I got it. Need to press the recirculating button and watch for a door to open. Then start and stop the blower until I see some foam trapped in the fan.

Thanks again to the forum,

Bruno

Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by bballarin
Hi, I think I have just joined the "noisy blower" club on the driver side. I was about to remove all the upper steering column as suggested by JTIS before pulling the blower assembly out when I saw this post.

Wish me good luck, as I will try the mirror/flashlight/coat hanger/duct tape thing.

I was wondering how to find an aperture to the inside of the blower but I thing I got it. Need to press the recirculating button and watch for a door to open. Then start and stop the blower until I see some foam trapped in the fan.

Thanks again to the forum,

Bruno

Hey Bruno,

I never thought it would work, but amazingly enough, it did. I simply removed the coin holder and the plastic plate under the steering wheel. I wrapped duct tape on the tip of a hanger. At night (easier to see in the dark with a flashlight), I pressed the recirc and saw the door open. With it open, I simply pushed the hanger into the hole and stabbed it in and out... like I was trying to spear a flounder for dinner. Spun it around... side to side... etc. Then pulled it out several times. The first couple times, nothing. Then, a hunk of foam rubber pulled out. I was shocked that it actually worked. I turned on the otherwise noisy fan... and QUIET! Amazed to this day. But I can't imagine actually being able to SEE anything. Visibility is nearly impossible unless you put an eyeball at the end of your hanger. ;-) I tried one of those flexible viewers, but mine was so crappy, I couldn't see a damned thing with it so I pitched it. Just be sure you really secure that tape onto the hanger. I made a loop on the end so I could press the tape against itself through the hole before I stated wadding it up. If the tape falls off in the blower motor, you've got yourself that much more of a problem. Otherwise, it was really easy.

Good luck!

SirJag

Last edited by SirJag; 07-19-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Received 78 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the explainations. I found the recirculation flap but after half an hour trying with coat hanger and lot of tape, I could only extract very small chunks of foam and fan was still noisy. I thought I was good for pulling the whole thing out of the car. You can see the big piece of foam captured in the fan, plus some smaller ones:

I have been crazy enough to glue a new piece of foam onto the flap. OK I won't cry if I have foam stucked again in the fan in a few years from now :

Also I have got trouble re-assembling the steering column. My fault has been to try to turn the steering wheel a quarter turn to put back the airbag screws, with bolts still loose on the steering column splined shaft assembly. I started damaging the fragile aluminum splines on the shaft. I have got to deposit the entire column, down to the steering rack, in order to re-engage and reshape the slightly damaged spline edges on the bench, before being able to re-assemble the column on the vehicule.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

can't stress how important the damaged column end is - just make sure it's 100%!

Every x308 will have this problem sooner or later.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

There is no way to get at this foam unless one follows JITS procedure for removing
driver side blower. Foam filter "found" its' way to the blower cage on my 1998 VDP, raised hell with it and created a lot of noise. New motor will run $400+/- plus installation. It is best to remove this foam filter before it causes problems. Old foam filters do fall apart with age, just like old women do.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

burza: Men, too!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

the foam originally covers the recirc door you open to see the fan cage. If ya'll will remove either the glove box or the knee bolster below the steering column depending on side youre working on. Youll have more than enough room to see what youre doing. And yes you may have o turn the blower on/off to get it to stop where you can see the foam. Also the foam is kinda sticky/gummy and Ive always been able to fish out with a hook, no tape to worry about dropping into the fan and making your problem worse