XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

It has been almost a month and my car is still "Fast enough!" so I'm going NO NOS.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts
Default It has been almost a month and my car is still "Fast enough!" so I'm going NO NOS.

I've been driving my now 16-17 psi of boost, water/alcohol injected, ported eaton 2000 XJR for about a month now since all my mods were finished and I STILL think it is plenty fast enough. It runs strong, stays cool, and has been very reliable so far.

Given that I am very content with it, and I have not yet been able to get a good rpm signal which would allow me to try my otherwise installed nitrous kit, I have decided to abandon the nitrous kit idea because:

A: The car is fast enough: I did a video taped 10.5 second 0-100 mph 17 psi of boost run on street tires and pump gas, this IS fast enough for me. That calculates to 475 HP for that actual real life test run- an actual performance proof, not just a dyno. I still am planning on getting to the dyno and running a real video taped 1/4 mile. More videos to come when able.

B: I think I have a good chance of being able to just stop here and stay 100% happy with the car's performance and reliability at this level of performance. If I take it any further, I very well could start running into much more expensive problems, so here is a smart place to stop. "Keeping my passions within due bounds" so to speak.

C: My investment for this 55k mile Looks like new garage queen has been minimal, I am still running the stock rear end, and street tires. My total investment with the nitrous was under $16K, over $1000 of that was nitrous stuff, which I am now going to remove and sell. I'm surprised at the number of my neighbors who just told me they thought my car was brand new and something in the neighborhood of $100K. They told me this after I told them I bought it for only $8,300, then spent another 6-7K on mods and maintenance.

Basically I am realllly happy with the performance of the car as it is, and am now solidly in the "enjoyment" phase of ownership now that the "innovating/modifying" phase is over. If I have no issues come up over the next 6 months, I will then feel very confident that the car is reliable in it's current state, and that has a high value for me. If I want to go ridiculously fast, I'll hop in the other kitty, the Pantera, or Poon-Terra as I refer to it

So, other than waiting for my brake upgrade parts to arrive and get installed. The WaterDragon is "DONE!"

A Huge thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 10-18-2013 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats!

That is very cool!

I would LOVE to see your car in person one day.

Stewart

Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Glad to hear you've gotten to a place you're happy. Let's just hope you don't get bored!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

I've just gotten very busy with some other exciting projects. Life is never dull here.

I'm very happy with the car as it is right now. I am hopeful that it proves to be reliable in the condition it is in right now.

When the engine was apart and I was doing all the mods (over 3 weeks time), On paper, I wanted it to be faster and faster, but when I actually started driving it, to me, for what it is, is definitely fast enough. So I thought it would be wise to stop here.

The poonterra is the track car and the plan is to get it down to 2500 lbs, currently 2900 lbs. But that bad boy is well over 500 RWHP and has lots of down force. On a small track, the wing with lip and airfoil makes 500 lbs of down force. On the faster tracks, we just remove it because of too much drag.

For my xjr, I'm still going to upgrade the brakes a little, flush the trans and rear end fluids, but that is it.

It is really nice to be more than content with the car as it sits right now.

Stewart-if you are ever in town, you are welcome to take it for a spin-just keep it shiny side up

Last edited by WaterDragon; 10-17-2013 at 10:18 PM.