XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Head Gasket? Really???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket? Really???

I have a 2000 Jaguar XJ8 4.0 question. I had a cooling system hose start spraying at stop light in town. It was enough to make the steam come from under the hood so I drove it immediately to repair shop a few blocks away. Just before I arrived the "low coolant resevoir" light came on but the car never changed from the normal operating temperature. The car did start "missing" as I got there but the engine compartment was soaked and the water appeared to be coming from a hose under the intake manifold. I left the car in the parking lot and the mechanic called the next day and said the hose was "squirting" and needed to be replaced but he thinks the intake manifold will have to be removed and did not want to do the work. He recommended another mechanic 15 miles away. I drove the car to the other mechanic and it had "smoke" coming from both exhaust all the way, sometimes worse than others. I watched the temperature and it was fine the entire trip, the low coolant resevoir light did not come on until I got there. The original mechanic said that the coils were saturated which was causing the car to "miss" which it did during the trip.
I just received a call from the second mechanic stating that there is water in a cylinder and he thinks it is a head gasket. I asked him if there was any other signs, such as oil in the water, water in the oil, he said he had not checked. My question is, with the car never running hot since I have owned it, "smoke" coming from both banks of the exhaust, could it be something other than a head gasket? With the water squirting from the hose, could it have gotten into a cylinder, and if so how? Is there any where on top of the intake in the "trough" where the water was building up that it could have gotten in? He said it was a lot of water but I have not seen it. Sorry so verbose, Thanks in advance for any help!! Clev

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

This posting probably needs moved to be in the XJ8 section where you'll receive more answers.

These cars are notorious to have problems with the plastic Thermostat Housing, and they're fixed by replacing the part with an aluminum housing. That may or may not be one of your problems.

There are a couple of hoses going under the intake manifold, and you should appreciate the first mechanic not wanting to tackle the job if he wasn't comfortable doing it.

But, people with cooling problems don't need to transport them under power15 miles--or you're asking for problems. When in doubt, call for a rollback.

On most American cars, the spark plugs are easily gotten to, and a mechanic can quickly check the plugs/cylinders. Jaguars are not so easy to get to the plugs. You would think the first thing a good mechanic would do is check the oil for contamination.

Anyway it goes, you need to let us know where you are in North Carolina, and see if anyone on this website knows of a qualified independent service shop in your area that's familiar with Jaguars.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

How did the tech know there is water in a cylinder?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,903 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Clev, based on what you have described, one would not think that damage to the head would have occurred, but like was mentioned, driving the car with a coolant problem is not the best idea. The few blocks, ok I can see that. But the 15 mile trip was probably pushing it.

The thing that has me believing it is a head gasket problem is the fact that you are getting "smoke" (more than likely water vapor/steam) out the exhaust pipe. I am assuming that it was a bright white smoke. If so, this pushes me toward a head gasket issue. That or a cracked head. Either way, not good. A simple compression check will tell you if you have a head gasket issue or not. The mechanic can also pressurize the cylinder in question and see if air leaks into the coolant system. If so, then this would confirm a problem with the cylinder which will require removal of the head to investigate further into the issue.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Thanks so much for your replies! To answer a few of your questions; The original mechanic that I mentioned put an aluminum thermostat housing on the car several years ago when the thermostat stuck open and had to be replaced. He stated the same issues and wanted to replace it while he had it off. I'm located in Shelby NC. I have used a guy in Charlotte NC (Maybe Authur?) for issues with a previously owned Jag, but he closed his shop which was on Morehead St at Wilkinson Blvd. Very good on Jags. I also had a local guy, REBORN CO, Evan Amaya, but he closed and moved to SC. The mechanic said that when he pulled the car in they removed a plug and could see waterf in the cylinder. Would it have vapor smoke on both sides of the exhaust? I know it may not have been a good idea to drive it, but the "smoke was not there the last time I had driven it, and the leak was slight enough the mechanic said I would not run out of water. The "reduced performance" light did not come on until half way there, I immediately called and he said that was due to the coils being wet and just keep a check on the temp, pull over immediately if it goes up, which it did not. Sorry to sound defensive, your right it was not too smart to drive it.
Is it OK to leave this thread up and post it on the XJ8 section? When I read the "welcome" it sounded like I shouldn't. Again, Thanks so much!!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Looks like a Mod moved the thread.

Thermo is correct in that a compression test will tell you where to go next.

. . . and welcome to the forum! Sorry you had to join under such circumstances.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome, and of course the advice! I will ask the current mechanic if he could do the two test mentioned and let you guys know what the outcome is. Any other advice is welcome and I will keep a check on the thread. I guess my hope was that there would have been another way water could have gotten into the cylinder since it never ran hot, as well as the hose issue at the same time. It seemed too coincidental.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Welcome to the forum Clev. Sorry it had to be under negative circumstances. I hate to mention this, but the temp gauges on these cars are worse than useless. I had a hose blow off and the temp gauge didn't show any variation from normal until the idiot light came on and steam was billowing from under the hood. A compression test should either confirm or rule out a head gasket problem. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyl
welcome to the forum clev. Sorry it had to be under negative circumstances. I hate to mention this, but the temp gauges on these cars are worse than useless. I had a hose blow off and the temp gauge didn't show any variation from normal until the idiot light came on and steam was billowing from under the hood. A compression test should either confirm or rule out a head gasket problem. Best of luck to you.
its not that theyre useless, its that they dont "read" air, but water/coolant. Without a liquid contact, temp sensors are not gonna give you an accurate reading. Soooo if you have a air lock, not only can coolant not flow, but the gauge wont read hot either if theres air around it too. But the car sure will be cookin, litterally. Those hoses under the intake are heater hoses. If i were ever gonna drive a car like that with a small leak i would leave the reservoir cap loose to not build pressure in the system and force coolant out faster. And make sure the reservoir is full and carry water. I definitly would go for the compression test, blown head gasket check and a possible loose or dropped exhaust seat from overheat which those engines will do. Past that i dont buy the whole thing and would replace the heater hoses, pull codes(i suspect knock sensors since theyre easily damaged from coolant leaks under the intake which will give rest perf along with misfire sever enough to cause damage to cats) maybe he's slow and wants the high hour work. Presonally im too busy to do this or even want to, but not everyone is

Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Thank You for your time to respond! I went to the mechanics garage this morning and he pulled the plug to show me the water in the cylinder. All we could see was the top of a piston. He said the water must have gotten past the rings and back in the crankcase. I checked the oil and saw no signs of water, and water with no signs of oil. I did ask him about doing the two test at which time he seemed upset that I was questioning him. An older guy was in the office at the time and inquired about which car we were referring to and told the owner that they needed to do the test due to the type of intake that was on the car. The owner agreed and I'm waiting now (unlikely since its after 5) for a call from him to hear the results. He has told me if it is the head gasket he doesn't have the equipment to do it.
I hate to ask, but can you explain the "loose or dropped exhaust seat"? Thanks again! Clev

Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM

the seats are pressed into the aluminum heads and when they get too hot the metal expands and the seats drop out and you loose compression along with bending the valve. why wouldnt they have the tools. its not hard, and plugs hard on that engine????? PLEASE ide raather do those than most american stuff and trying to get around exhaust etc....yes depends on the vehicle. And XTYPE OR Stype v6 sucks cause you have to pull the intake. but this is true of alot of v6's.
water on the plug, okay but for that repair bill I want more definitive answer, yes the test is alittle more money. but not near as much as doing a head gasket when not needed.

Last edited by Brutal; 01-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Clev (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 08:58 PM

I appreciate you explaining the seats. I did not hear from him, maybe tomorrow. I will let you know what he says and probably be asking for more opinions for a course of action. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I have been asking around about replacing the head gaskets. I have found two guys that seem to know a lot about the engines, but have never done this particular head job. I was unsure of the level of expertise this job would require. Thanks so much!! Clev

Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM

I hope you guys are keeping up with this thread so I can let you know how much I appreciate everything. I just heard from the mechanic and he said that he did the pressure test and you can see water going into the cylinder as the pressure builds. He said it is either a head gasket or a cracked block. He did admit he did not know enough about the car to do the work and would prefer I get someone else to do it. I'm in search of a local mechanic as well as a machine shop that will do (and has done) these type heads. Thanks again for all of your help! Clev

Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Any good machine shop that does foriegn work or domestic overhead cammed engines "should" be able to do the work. I would replace upper and lower tensioner and guides while doing this because its no added labor. Its all gotta come off. Many machine shop i know around here even do the tear down and work
ask around and maybe even ask the dealers and foreign shops who they get to do machine work

The following users liked this post:
Clev (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:10 PM

I have found the Jag mechanic that I spoke of earlier that was in Charlotte NC. He has relocated in Indian Trail, just outside of Charlotte. His business is called V12 Motorsports. He has done work for me before on my 95 Jag when he was in Charlotte and is very good at what he does. He and his staff has always been very professional and honest, so I think I will transport it to him tomorrow. He has quoted me 15 hrs labor for one side and 20 hrs for both and around 500.00 to get both heads reworked. He is about $90.00 an hr. I hate being at someones mercy, but there is not anyone around here that I can find. Thanks a lot for everything and I will let you know what happens!! Clev