XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

headlamp lens replacement '89 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlamp lens replacement '89 XK8

title is wrong, I meant a 1999 XJ8

Last week driving to work on the toll road out of nowhere there was a very load CRACK sound from the right front corner and I saw some stuff fly up over the right fender. Car drove okay and I did not think anything of it.

A couple of days later one of my co-workers comes by and says there is no glass on my passenger side outer headlamp. Sure enough it is gone, obviously that is what I heard.

I see replacement lens are available. How difficult is it and what is the procedure to replace the lens?

Also are these cars know for balky power antennas? Won't go all the way up, won't go all the way down.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by ED P.; 02-17-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

dont know about the lens, but the antenna is a relatively cheap part, i think i ordered mine on Amazon for $12-13 works like a charm, then there is a DIY telling you how to install the new one

Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ED P.
title is wrong, I meant a 1999 XJ8

Also are these cars know for balky power antennas? Won't go all the way up, won't go all the way down.
Mine works perfectly well ...for about two days after cleaning and lubricating. Then it'll stick half-way up after I switch off. I'm buying a new one any day now, I swear!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replaced the drivers side low beam lens on my 2000 VDP.....a real pain in the butt. First you must remove the grill, which isn't too bad.....2 screws on each side. They're a little tight to get to...they have T20 heads.....and you'll need a slim shaft to get in there easily. Then remove the headlight trim piece. Not too bad...one screw on top, but there is fir tree fastener underneath the headlights that's a little scary. It will feel like the trim is about to snap, but mine finally came loose after a bit of pulling, but you'll likely break the fastener like I did. Another trip to the parts store. JTIS says to remove the headlamp assembly........I did, that was the real pain....four screws under the hood. After you remove those you'll have limited play to work with without disconnecting the wiring. I did not unplug anything, just removed the bulbs. The lens is actually snaps in and out. The lens has four sockets on the backside....only three which are used, on mine anyway. The headlamp assembly has three studs with ball ends that snap into the sockets. Mine were very tight and not easy to remove the lens...and pretty hard to get the new snapped back in, but it went. I think the hardest part was installing the two bottom screws which hold the assembly in place. What really sucks though is that the new lens looks so much better than the other three old ones left...lol. But at a little over $200.00 a pop, I think I'll try restoring them first. One thing I would like to do, but have not ordered yet is to lens protectors, made by 3M on them. If I remember correctly you can a set of precut ones for the four headlights and the fog lights for around $60.00. Since I've already had to replace one headlight lens at $200.00, and one fog light, which I found used, for about $50.00......probably a good investment....if they really will save the glass.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (09-11-2014)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh.....I also replaced the antenna about a year or so ago. I don't remember what I paid for it now, don't recall it being too bad. Replacement was very easy though........like a 20 minute job. I did just go back and check the price of the fog light though......it was $ 85.00 used instead of $50.00.