XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Headlight Powerwash Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Headlight Powerwash Problem

Hello all, I do suspect I may have asked about this before. Anyway I am totally convinced that my Powerwash system on my 2001 XJ doesn't work. Now I've checked all fuses related to the system and had someone spray the screen whilst I've stood and watched the lights, and nothing. I know the lights must be on for it to work, but it doesn't.

With the icy conditions in the UK at the moment, I could do with them working, because I'm wiping the lights after each trip with the amount of salt sticking to them.

Could anyone tell me some details about this system, and where stuff is located? Perhaps its just a pump problem or something, but its annoying. Thanks for yout help! S.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just don"t forget that the washers for headlights, work on every 6th press of the button. Not each time.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

I read that in the manual, but I know that they aren't spraying at all, no matter how many times the switch is pressed. I'm hoping to get to the pump, bottle and lines to see if there is a fault or blockage. Ta, S.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Default Problem Update

Hello All, its been a while since I've asked this question but it was only today that I have solved the problem, I hope.

The problem was the motor was rusted up and this was causing the system to not work.

I dismantled the chin tray from the bottom of my car and jacked up the right side. I was then able to get at the washer bottle, wiring and plumbing. The power wash system has thicker pipes than the normal screen washers, and the Power wash pump is furtherst to the left. To remove the pump very carefully push it upwards, not bending it in any direction. Have a bucket in position ready to catch the liquid that will splurt out! After this has drained you can move the bucket and unplug the motor's wiring plug, and the water pipe.

The pump's housing comes apart do you can remove the motor from it. When I pulled mine out, I discovered the drive end of the motor was rusted solid. I put it in the vice and rubbed it down with a carbon wire brush. After this I tested it and it still worked, so I sprayed it with WD-40 to protect it.

I had to scrape all the debris out of the pump housing, and I blew some air through it to make sure it was clear, then it was a simple case of re assembly. Be very careful when you do, because I cracked the washer bottle housing and have had to seal it back up, they're quite sensitive to damage.

The Power Wash Pump is actually a Volkswagen Audi Group part, which surprised me! The Part number is:

VW 12V >POM< 1H0 955 681

Actually I discovered there are quite a few VAG parts on the XJ, I noticed the front indicator bulb holders are VAG and a couple of other bits.

I hope this info helps anyone else who is having issues with their Power Wash system.