XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Headlight protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Headlight protection

Hi all,

Rock + Headlight = $$$$.

Decided I need to add some headlight protectors for my 03 XJR. I've searched around and come up with two possibilities.

1. XPEL Technologies.
http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

2. Weather Tech Headlight Protection. http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...tive-film.html

My questions are. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with either of these products? How difficult is the installation for the average do it yourself sort of guy?

Any guidance one way or the other is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not familiar with these brands Alley, but I did purchase a similar set of covers for my BMW 7 headlights. The crushed lava used on the roads during the winters in Idaho, make traveling down they highway interesting sometimes.

I purchased the set I have on my 7 from Bavarian Autosport, but they look pretty much the same as those you are looking at. Installation was a breeze...cleaning the headlights, then with some soapy water and the included squeegee, the protectors were easy to apply, then squeegeed the soapy water out from behind the protectors.

Regardless of the brand you purchase, a couple of pointers I would suggest:

1. make sure to keep your fingers wet and minimize or don't touch the sticky side of the protector...you don't want your finger prints on immortalized on the backside of the protector when you turn on the lights.
2. make sure to apply plenty of the soapy water to the headlight and apply plenty to the protector back before applying the protector. Then applying plenty to the face of the protector will make squeegeeing much easier.

I've had mine on for about 5-6 years now and the headlights will look great and clear.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

After having three cracked lenses in six months, I installed these four years ago - no chips or cracks since, and you can't tell they are there unless you REALLY look hard. Kit I bought on e-bay (I don't recall the brand, but appears the same as the two you linked) included covers for all four headlights, foglights and turn signals. I am pleased.
Installation exceedingly simple - maintenance free afterward

Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Thank you for your input

Thank you Crosbo and Markus for your input. I placed my order today. Looking forward to trying this stuff out.