XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Headliner retrim with glass out

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 11:55 AM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Headliner retrim with glass out

A few tips for anyone removing the rear windshield to avoid creasing the headliner panel. I used the cutting wire method versus the right-angled blade tool and it worked fine - twice. The key was to cut/pull outward away from the glass edge to avoid breakage. The reason for the second attempt is that I discovered the gasket, which wraps around the underside of the glass, has to be installed on the glass before setting - otherwise any urethane that squeezes out past the glass edge prevents the gasket from being fully seated. After removing all interior trim the actual glass removal took about 30 minutes the first time and 15 minutes the second. Prep for the install involves removing the old urethane from the windshield frit with a razor and priming the surface with a urethane primer/adhesion promoter. The urethane on the pinch weld gets trimmed flat with a utility knife, and a pyramidal-shaped bead of urethane is laid down. After installing the gasket on the glass, the windshield is set and lightly pressed into place. Before removal I marked the outer edge of the gasket on the body with a few pieces of masking tape to help in relocating the glass, and a pair of cheap suction cup handles were invaluable for the install. For installing the chrome it helps to place a string in the inner grove of the gasket. I sprayed the gasket with Armorall, set the chrome in the outer groove and slowly pulled up on the string while pressing down on the chrome to lift the inner lip over the chrome. Chrome install took about a half hour working slowly. The biggest time consumer is removing and reinstalling all of the interior trim - again working slowly to avoid breaking fragile plastic trim and clips. I'm pleased with the outcome, and am debating whether to retrim the sun visors which are slightly off color against the new fabric. Losing the stupid airbag warning labels would be a plus, but I know from prior experience the visors are a PITA to open for retrimming.

Last edited by Doug Dooren; 10-02-2022 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
944play (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 365 Posts

In my opinion, there is not enough difference to make ANYone think it did not come
that way. Now if you are doing a Concours tour or something then maybe. You never
know, it might grow on you.