XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heated Seats

My Jaguar doesn't have heated seats, but I've come to really appreciate them & have been wondering what I'll do come this winter.

Was at the junkyard again today taking off more parts I hope I never need (had a project in mind, but changed the way I'm going to do it). Along with some other parts, I took the climate control module. That car had heated seats.

On the way home, I got to wondering whether it could be so easy to add heated seats to my car by taking the seats & control module from a car that has/had heated seats & installing them in my car. It doesn't make sense that Jaguar (Ford) would try to save a few pennies by manufacturing & installing two different wiring looms for cars with or without heated seats. Makes more sense that everything would be the same up to the point of installing the seats & control module.

I don't know about the fuse for the front heated seats, but my car has a live fuse for rear heated seats (obviously doesn't have heated rear seats either) (this is the fuse I'm using to power my additional power points).

Does anyone know if simply installing seats & control module from a car that had heated seats will give me heated seats, or is there something else different? And, if something else, is it something easier than replacing all the wiring in the car?

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Red Baron (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 12:01 PM

Thanks. I thought it was too good to be true that all I'd have to do was replace the seats. That all I need to do is replace the climate control module is great news (& saves me another trip to the junkyard. I also already took the backseat console w/ the seat switches, but cut the wires instead of unplugging (but don't usually have backseat passengers anyhoo). Can't wait to try it....

Old 06-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought the module that had heated seats thinking that would after hooking it up. Heated seats need these squabs that go under the seat and back portion, if you have them then I guess you are good to go. Mine turned out not have these squabs installed, so a waste of money and time for me. Better luck with yours.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is amazing to me.

Does anyone have an option list or original window sticker? I'm curious to see what jaguar was charging for this option.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

Dorman sells a seat heater kit.

Amazon.com: Dorman 628-040 Universal Seat Heater Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 628-040 Universal Seat Heater Kit: Automotive

Rock Auto had them as well.

You could use the kit and try a hybrid install using the factory controls???? The Dorman kit has 2 heat selections. , Low/High.

bob gauff

Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 AM

Been working at this for a couple months & now it's driving me nuts. As it's starting to get cooler, any help appreciated....

Installed the dash heated seat controls. The buttons work (red light comes on), but no heated seats.

Back to the junkyard to get the seats out of the car that had heated seats (seat was all the way back, so getting the read bolts out was an adventure). Installed in my car, but still no heat.

Was wondering if there was another wire that i missed.

Back to the junkyard. The first car was gone but there was a '99 XJ8 that had heated seats. Checked the wiring going into the seat- same 2 plugs as mine. Only thing different was that there was a relay that mine didn't have (nor did the seats I already took). Took the relays & some other parts (incl the controls).

Replaced the first junkyard controls with the "new" junkyard controls. Replaced the junkyard seats (that definitely were heated in the car they came out of, but didn't work in mine) with my original seats. Installed the relay (still don't know what it does). Fuse is good. Control lights come on, but no heated seats (driver or passenger).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:00 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

You need to start with the basics:
When you turn the switch on, do the seat electrical connector has 12+V ?
If no the issue is before the seat.
If yes the issue is with the seat such as broken wires or thermostat