XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Heater A/C Drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Heater A/C Drain

Mercuryrv, I'm sure someone familiar with your particular vehicle will be along to help. But, just in case its anything like my 85 XJ-6, and I'm not sure it is, but maybe this will at least put you in the right area. My 85 XJ-6, and my 95 XJS are both the same. The plenum drains, from in front of your windshield, exit out at the front wheel openings, toward the back. If its from this area the water will be normal temperature. If from the AC it will be very cold. You'll know the difference. The two tubes from the AC is on either side of the transmission, about half way back, way up top. I needed a flashlight to find them. The tubes are only about 4 to 6 inches long. On my XJS their just above the catalytic converters. On my XJS you can reach the tops of the tubes, which attach to the bottom of the AC tray where the water collects, by removing the side panels on either side of the console. Right behind the air vent in the panel, I have a metal vent tube, that feeds the plastic vent on the panel. Remove the metal tubes, 3 screws as I remember. Right behind the metal vent tube, you'll see where the tubes attach. On my XJS I couldn't clean them from below. The tubes attach to a little soft rubber bellows type of connection, and had a 45 degree bend, not allowing wire to make the turn. By removing the soft rubber attachment, I could run a piece of clothes hanger up into the tray. A soft push through all the junk inside, and a quick replacement of the rubber attachment prevented much water leaking out onto my carpet. A towel under the area will help also. Be prepared to do this about once a year, so it helps to get familiar with the process. Some report being able to do the whole process from under the car. But, for me, its easier to go from inside, instead of all the trouble and time putting the car up on ramps. Hope this helps, and, if this isn't right for your car, then you'll know how incase you ever get an XJS or Series 3 XJ-6. At that point you'll at least be able to help your friends that have one and you'll be their hero Jag expert!